Running out of Gas on full throttle

-
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to FABO from Australia. Hello All.

What a great site to educate one on all things Chrysler.

I had a question regarding my 1962 S-Series Valiant (V200 in US).

Please have a read as I'm so frustrated with this 'gremlin' in my slant.

The Motor:
She is a stock as a rock standard /6 with Carter 1BBL Carby that has been completely restored. Motor has been restored about 5 years ago.
Standard 727 box and 2.77 diff ratio.
Runs on unleaded.
Dizzy has been recurved at same time as carby reco. for better efficiency on premium gas.

The Issue:
On hard acceleration (flat to floor) she accelerates hard for a bout 5 seconds and then suddenly seems to run out of juice and suddenly engine rpm instantly stops. By this time my pedal is off accelerator and she is rolling. ENgine is still running....eventually I apply some pedal and she stars to come back to life as if nothing ever happened. So its only on hard acceleration this happens.

What I have done:
I have changed fuel filter, fuel pump and air blasted fuel lines (back to tank with compressed air in case of blockage).
I have driven without petrol cap in case there is tank pressure (vacuum).
She still does the same thing so I am pretty sure something with Carby.
Mind you she drives perfecgtly under normal and hard acceleration. Its only when i spank her with some high revs for a bout 5 seconds she runs dry.

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be?

Cheers

George

Check/ replace the hoses? Should be one back at the tank, one at the pump. If you've done that, I'd suspect a restriction in the tank pickup.

Has the tank been removed and cleaned? If it's trash in the fuel, you will never get it stopped until you clean the source.

Check your float level in the carb.
Check the sending unit filter in the gas tank ?
How clean is the inside of the gas tank ?
Check fuel pressure when this happens.
Try a different fuel pump.

If all else fails add an electric fuel pump.

sounds to me like supply problem hoses when old will collapse inside so i would try that first as it is cheap and also carb float level if you can check pressure at pump good luck to you

All good responses I'd say!......I'd first drop the tank, change the sock filter and clean it out good. Be careful tho'! *fumes = booms*

Get a fuel pressure gauge, this will help your cause.

I had a similar problem in my '72 Challenger, did all the same things. New tank (rusty), new filter, new pump, new sock on the sending unit, replaced all the rubber sections of hose, checked the float, couldn't find it.

Finally got under the car and checked every inch of fuel line, turns out at some point either road debris or a moron and a floor jack had nearly crimped off the metal fuel line under the car just a little above the bottom of the frame, and on the inside of the rail. Couldn't see it from anywhere other than right below it.

Could definitely be the float being set too low also.

With what you've done so far, I'd inspect all the fuel lines (metal and rubber) and check the float level in the carb as the most likely suspects.

Hi there,

I am new to FABO from Australia. Hello All.

What a great site to educate one on all things Chrysler.

I had a question regarding my 1962 S-Series Valiant (V200 in US).

George

Listen to what I experienced with our 1964 /6 Valiant, please.

We were installing an electric pump, so just took a very sharp knife and cut the rubber hose in two at the original pump. This was the inlet hose from the tank, right at where it goes into the pump.

We bought this car from someone who said it hadn't been started or driven for years, so we didn't even try to get it running (it's going to be a race car.)

Upon examination, that rubber hose we cut showed to be deformed inside, having "grown shut" to the extent that the hole that was left for fuel to pass through was now only the diameter of the lead in a pencil!!!

I can't see how this engine was getting enough fuel to do anything but idle!

Check that supply hose coming into your fuel pump. You may have a similar issue.
Welcome to FABO!!!! Australia seems to be the Mother Lode for /6's...

Listen to what I experienced with our 1964 /6 Valiant, please.

We were installing an electric pump, so just took a very sharp knife and cut the rubber hose in two at the original pump. This was the inlet hose from the tank, right at where it goes into the pump.

We bought this car from someone who said it hadn't been started or driven for years, so we didn't even try to get it running (it's going to be a race car.)

Upon examination, that rubber hose we cut showed to be deformed inside, having "grown shut" to the extent that the hole that was left for fuel to pass through was now only the diameter of the lead in a pencil!!!

I can't see how this engine was getting enough fuel to do anything but idle!

Check that supply hose coming into your fuel pump. You may have a similar issue.
Welcome to FABO!!!! Australia seems to be the Mother Lode for /6's...

Lots of counterfeit auto parts out there. I have had exactly the same experience with off-spec fuel hose. On my old Turbo LeBaron I completely replaced all the vacuum hoses -- several months down the road I noticed all the fresh hose had gotten really hard and brittle. Had to replace it all again with known quality hose.

Lots of counterfeit auto parts out there. I have had exactly the same experience with off-spec fuel hose. On my old Turbo LeBaron I completely replaced all the vacuum hoses -- several months down the road I noticed all the fresh hose had gotten really hard and brittle. Had to replace it all again with known quality hose.

I hear you! This was just WEIRD... The inside of that hose had "grown" almost completely shut. There was almost no room left for gas to flow.
I don't know where the material came from to close it off....

Just really weird....

Thanks for all that useful info.

I have done the following:
changed fuel filter
new fuel pump
removed petrol tank. Very Clean inside (like new). but some small debris at bottom. I will change the sending unit filter as she looks old.
After I change this I will let you all know how she goes.

I fionally found out what was going on with the "running out of gas" on full throttle.

Can you believe there was an actuall extra "needle" in the fuel line? I'm not that sure how it got in there as it is supposed to be in the "seat" position in carby. Bizaar I know. Runs like a dream now. Thank you all for your help.

George

-
Back