Running shop tools on GFCI

-

Gryzynx

Senior Moment
Reaction score
Lucky me. I have to work in my carport instead of a real shop.

I was considering running a 220V line to my carport, but because this is considered outdoors, I must install a GFCI breaker to comply with code.

I have not found much encouraging info on using welders and compressors on GFCI circuits. Before I spend a heap of money on this, does anyone have any experience with running shop tools on GFCI circuits?

I haven't had a problem with the GFI either. The only power tool that is prone to tripping my breaker is a direct drive table saw.

Not sure about there, but here if the outlet is located high enough, it doesn't have to be GF. I think we're nine feet.

Grant

You shouldn't have any problems running on a GFI breaker unless your welder has a problem.....like a short in the cord or internally. If the breaker trips that's a good thing as it probably just saved you life.

I have all GFI's in my shop and run welders, grinders, plasma arc cutters etc....never a problem.

Good luck and be safe.

Mop

I had to add gfic to all !! shop outlets per city inspector electrician disagreed but not worth fighting. Had to reset a couple times with my tig no big deal runs my mig and plasma fine

-
Back