running the MSD 6-Hemi ?

-

Pentastarnut

67' Barracuda
Reaction score
If you could go back and start over, would you do it again ?

i have a 2005 5.7 truck motor still in the crate thinking about doing a swap in a Chrysler i have :idea1:

YES I would do it all again,In fact I just pulled the 5.7 and going to stroke it and put it back in. I did have a few issues along the way with my clutch but it all worked out and the car is a ball to drive.Steve

If you're referring to the MSD I'd say yes. It's really pretty easy to hook up and tune, just three sensors (don't even need MAP if you don't want, so potentially 2), the coil packs, power, and ground. Plus you get the added bonus of a two step limiter and nitrous retard if you want to use them. I ended up swapping over from my initial carb install back to aftermarket fuel injection, but from what I've heard it can be difficult to set up ignition on some of the aftermarket stuff because you have to have ignitors for the coils. The MSD is a nice solution for that, though I do have to tune with two different programs and it's harder to tune fuel and spark at the same time. Honestly I haven't really touched the spark though since I got the injection back in, just put in the base map from MSD and it's been running good.

The one gripe I have with the MSD is that the wiring harness is really too long if you install the box under the hood. I have mine on the passenger fender and have a loop of the harness tied up that's probably about an extra two feet long. It's a really nice harness that's well labeled and has nice braided cover though.

It's either the MSD or Mega Squirt, and the MSD seems more user friendly. I have a complete stock motor so this sounds like an easy way to go compared to sending a factory ecu of for mods, etc.
i wanted to hear from someone that is using it now, thanx for the replies ;)

What efi systems are out there for the new hemi? mega squirt and fast any others. What does it take to use one on a new hemi?
Trevor

I'm running an MSD and Megasquirt right now in my 5.7. Bought the MSD to start with because I carb'd it (didn't have the money for EFI), but I had a Megasquirt II fall into my lap at too good a deal to pass up. It wasn't hard at all to get the two to play along. The MSD puts outs a really nice tach signal the Megasquirt can interpret well. Otherwise you have to deal with setting up the Megasquirt for the crank (and possibly cam if you want sequential injection) sensors and running an extra ignitor box. I think it's a little more expensive in the long run to run the two different boxes (Megasquirt is putting together their own ignitor box that it supposed to be pretty easy to set up and work on new Hemis), but the MSD is pretty idiot proof and the software is easy enough to deal with.

I am thinking very hard on doing the swap, and I want to inject it. Not sure on how to go about it, use stock pcm and modified wiring harness and diablo predator for tuning, or use FAST system. I have never used a megasquirt but have heard is not user friendly when it comes to the tuning. Anyone using the FAST system and is it a just a plug and play?

Trevor

Trevor,

I have the fast system, but it doesn't run yet... Still have lots of work to do. What I can tell you is this. Fast is plug and play for parts, but not completely, it has no base map, so you input basic motor #s and it builds a map or you can choose a "close map" from a list. I have version 2.0 which is self tuning so it should learn quick. I have a friend that runs the same 2.0 system on a chevy and loves it. Says its awesome. So we shall see. I am hoping it will get me going.

Aem makes a system also, I think with a mopar part number... but it also comes with no tune, so basically stock ecu is the only way to not start from scratch building a tune... In my simple brain I just figure any motor with mods is gonna need dyno time.. you gotta pay to play...

Joe

Wow, the Mopar AEM doesn't even have a base tune? I figured for the price they ask for that they'd at least put in the stock Dodge tune. I think pretty much any aftermarket system will be equally hard to set up in the software. The Megasquirt just doesn't have any option for a plug and play style harness, you'll have to make your own. Not sure if the FAST setup comes with factory connectors or not.

I didn't have much trouble doing actual fuel tuning with my Megasquirt, you just look at O2 feedback (if you have a wideband) and adjust the fuel map values, though you have to have all other stuff right first. My TPS sensor was really noisy, so I was trying to tune my setup with constant "accelerator pump" enrichments kicking in without me knowing. Once I sorted that out it started reacting more like I assumed (ie when you change values it actually makes a difference, lol). You can pay for auto tuning capabilities for the Megasquirt as well, though they don't recommend using it for a base tune, more for fine tuning a stable setup.

The cool thing about the Megasquirt setup is really what all you get control of, assuming you want that. On the Megasquirt I have (MS2 Extra) I can pick what kind of O2 feedback correction I want (simple correction or algorithm based), what kind of idle control I want (maintain rpm with IAC, just use IAC for warmup, or nothing), batch or sequential injection (add on pieces needed), TPS or MAP based accelerator enrichment, etc. The other neat thing is that the software is constantly being updated, so new features get added every once in a while. I don't mean to sound like a salesman for them, I just thought it was fun to be able to do that much myself and I like learning how to do things myself so I'm not waiting on other people. I started my setup simple and keep adding features one at a time when I get all the other things working.

I've worked with an AEM for a college project and it's similarly powerful. You get a lot of control and you can run all sorts of things with the AEM box, though I don't know that it has as many options as a fully equipped Megasquirt. The tradeoff is generally that most of the options that the AEM doesn't let you control are ones that could potentially damage your engine if you get them wrong or that you wouldn't bother 99% of the time anyway.

You can get into a Megasquirt fairly cheap compared to other aftermarket systems, but by the time you include all the add on pieces you might want and all the wiring and other parts that you need you don't come out too much cheaper than something like the FAST EZ EFI system (though you can't tune that one). If I didn't get mine for a steal I'd still probably be running around with a carb.

Well the engine is going to be far from stock. I am building a stock suspension 10.5 tire car, not planning to be competitive in the class but just using it as a base. I am planning to make 650hp to the wheels using a pro-charger. I am expecting dyno time to tune and with this engine a stock tune probably won't help. Have been talking with an engine builder and I am sure the engine will see the engine dyno before I put it in the car, then a chassis dyno. I am far from the engine being built but I need to decide what engine I want to use. My 340 with the B1/BA heads I have sitting under the work bench or a New style Hemi. I know either is getting injected and a pro-charger.

Will the Mega squirt control the timing and fuel, or just the fuel side? I am planning to start a build thread soon. I have been taking pics of the car as I have started taking it apart. I bought it as a roller and built a hi comp 340 with stock heads and raced it a few years. I will tell the whole story in my build thread. Thanks for all the info you guys are sharing with me as it is helping with my decision.

Trevor

The Megasquirt can be set up to run the spark, but you'll need ignitors to drive the coils if you run with the new Hemi. Megasquirt has their own setup now based on some Bosch ignitors that were commonly being used to do such a thing (http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/quadspark-four-channel-ignition-module-p-481.html). I think the FAST system is the same way, they have a separate box to run the ignition (FAST XFI for fuel and XIM for ignition). Not sure about the AEM, I know some of their boxes have built in drivers (the one I worked with did, but it was the universal EMS), but I can't vouch for what exactly the Mopar brand one has for features.

There are several members here with experience or plans for a Megasquirt build and I think there's one or two people planning for the FAST system. For a pretty wild build using a Megasquirt you might check out MadDart's ridiculous twin turbo small block setup over in the forced induction forum (Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project). Gives you an idea just what all a home made engine computer can handle. Don't think I've ever head of anyone popping for the Mopar AEM computer around here yet.

-
Back