Rust Repair Maiden Voyage

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
This thread will document my first attempt at rust repair, on my '74 Swinger quarters and rocker panel. The paint is original except for some touchup that was done by previous owner. I'm not going for a concours restoration, just trying to stop the rot, preserve as much original good metal as possible, and make the car presentable as a daily driver. I don't want to do any welding, and I'm not too proud to fill some holes with plastic filler.

Here's the left quarter
IMG_1854.png

and a close-up
IMG_1853.png

the right quarter
IMG_1852.png

a close-up of the lower right quarter
IMG_1851.png

The worst of it is just behind the wheel.
IMG_1850.png

Ok Let the grinding and trim removal begin :thumbsup:

Watching as I will be starting my first moderate rust repair work as well although I will be cutting and welding some metal.

My 2 cents for what it's worth is:
If you are going to the bother of doing the work, i would suggest that you cut out the rotted metal and either weld in new metal, or at least use a panel adhesive and do it right the first time.
It looks like it was ''bondoed'' up before, and then the paint was spotted in.
That's a very nice looking car you have there, it would be too bad if you went to the trouble of a patch job and the rust growing any more than it is now.
And it will come back to haunt you, and the rust will even be worse than it is now, you can mark my words on this...........

My 2 cents for what it's worth is:
If you are going to the bother of doing the work, i would suggest that you cut out the rotted metal and either weld in new metal, or at least use a panel adhesive and do it right the first time.
It looks like it was ''bondoed'' up before, and then the paint was spotted in.
That's a very nice looking car you have there, it would be too bad if you went to the trouble of a patch job and the rust growing any more than it is now.
And it will come back to haunt you, and the rust will even be worse than it is now, you can mark my words on this...........

Yep! And after grinding those areas will become much larger.

I'll follow that advice. I'll go with the panel adhesive because I don't have storage space for a welder. (I can rent a flux-core welder, but I understand they tend to burn through sheet metal.)

Here's the plan:
wash car
tape/paper off areas around the repair
grind to bare metal to expose all rust spots
spray with epoxy primer
cut out a rust spot
cut and bend a patch
cut and bend overlap pieces to go behind joint
(may need to use self-tapping screws where clamps won't go)
glue overlap pieces, let cure
glue patch to overlap pieces
(repeat cutting/gluing for each hole)
skim with fiber-filled body filler
blend with conventional body filler
spray with epoxy primer
sand 80 grit
alternately prime and sand with 220, 400, 600
paint: single-stage or base/clear? color is PPG 2136, Chrysler E5

I'll follow that advice. I'll go with the panel adhesive because I don't have storage space for a welder. (I can rent a flux-core welder, but I understand they tend to burn through sheet metal.)

Here's the plan:
wash car
spray with epoxy primer
cut out a rust spot
cut and bend a patch
spray with epoxy primer
sand 80 grit

Hi rich006,
You should consider using "USC's All-Metal" rather than fiber-filled body filler. It is water proof when dried and is often recommended for welded seems to keep moister out. Just a suggestion. My son and I have used it on our duster project, and it seems really easy to work with.

Travis

Here's the plan:
wash car
spray with epoxy primer
cut out a rust spot
cut and bend a patch
spray with epoxy primer
sand 80 grit
Good plan you have there.
Just be sure you have everything at hand before you glue the pieces in, you wouldn't want it to set before it was in proper position..........

Instead of washing the car in falling snow, I wiped with a soapy rag and toweled dry. I'm glad I picked up that old space heater at the neighbor's estate sale!

It took most of the morning to get the aluminum trim off the wheel well lip. Those screws were really seized to the trim. I used PB blaster, WD-40, and many sideways taps to the screw heads with a hammer and an old screwdriver. I think what really freed them was wedging the screwdriver between the head and the trim. Now the trim is a little dented around the screw holes, but it's not that bad.
IMG_1889.png

I opened up quite a few holes just by tapping with my old screwdriver. The inside is predictably full of dirt, scale, and a few leaves. I didn't realize that the inside is open to the trunk until I saw my tire iron through one of the holes. Anything that falls down the side of the trunk floor gets trapped in there.
IMG_1891.png

The inside wheel well panel is starting to rot too. The lip itself feels pretty solid. I hope I can reuse it.
IMG_1890.png

IMG_1890.png

You should consider using "USC's All-Metal" rather than fiber-filled body filler.

All-Metal was recommended to me by the guy I was going to pay to do this job, after he convinced me I could do it myself. However, fiber-filled is prescribed in the directions on the Lord Fusor panel adhesive. Also, I read somewhere that All-Metal isn't better than fiber-filled. It's aluminum, so it has different thermal expansion than steel. Apparently the modern plastic fillers are a better match to the expansion properties of the steel. Someone who knows better can feel free to weigh in here.

I decided to start with a flap-wheel instead of a grinding disk.
IMG_1894.png

Clearing down to shiny metal didn't reveal much rust that wasn't already apparent via bubbling.
IMG_1895.png

It looks like the rust is working its way out from the inside. Now the question is how much do I have to cut out?
IMG_1896.png

Not a professional or even a novice for that part as I will be beginning my first real rust repair soon myself. I would think at least an inch beyond any visble rust would be a good place to start.

That entire lower part of the outer quarter needs to go. That area is nothing but rust and paper thin. They always rust from the inside out. And You need a welder. I will post a pic or two of what a lower quarter with what appears to be minor rust actually looks like once it is cut away.
misc 261.JPG
misc 266.JPG

I switched from flap wheel to grinding disk and did a little more.
IMG_1897.png

Here's a closeup of the lip.
IMG_1898.png

And here are some shots from the inside.
IMG_1903.png

IMG_1899.png

IMG_1902.png

Honestly, that car looked too good to take a grinder too.
Fixing the rust is not hard.
What is your plan to paint match it?

I use a product called Fibertech from Evercoat over the weld seams and then finish with a conventional body filler.

misc 593.JPG

I guess the question now is can I fabricate my own patches or do I need to buy panels?

-
Back