rusty freeze plugs, flushing recomendations?

-

streetdak

Reaction score
enginepull.jpg

So I pulled my 318 back out because I have already replaced 2 freeze plugs and now, the remaining 4 are bad. (Learned the hard way should have replaced them the first time I had the motor out) All the freeze plugs are now completely rusted out, and when I pulled 2 of them out, tons of rust particles came out with them. I'm worried about the block, yet the motor really does not need a rebuild, it doesn't smoke, runs great, fires up every time with no smoke.

What is the best way for me to flush out all the crud in the rest of the motor while it is on an engine stand??? Should I pop out all the freeze plugs and just run water though them it till it comes out the other side clear??? Should I use a shop vac lol??? I want to make sure I get all this crud out before I put it back in the car with a new radiator. Any suggestions help!

**Little history, this car sat for at least 5 years (if not more) not running in the guys garage that I bough it from. So basically the cooling system is not up to par.**

freezeplugs.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-61820-Engine-Brush-Kit/dp/B000CONYTS"]Moroso 61820 Engine Brush Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

get a brush kit like this and some long screwdrivers. get all the freeze plugs out, don't forget the back of the block and the thermostat, go town on it with a spray nozzle on the hose. you should also NOT hook the heater core back up until you change it. it's going to be just as bad and flush all it's crap back into the block when you start the motor.

edit: pull the plugs in the head too

good luck

Good Catch on the Heater Core Kursplat. Lot's of weird stuff ends up in them. Once had a Car w/no heat and found a big Blob of Clear Silicone blocking the flow through the Core. If It wasn't suggested already, don't forget to Back-flush the Radiator.

You could also back flush the heater core. Go to the store and find a cheap garden hose on clearance. then get it home and cut it off and use a clamp and hook the garden hose to the heater core. Then turn on the hose and flush out the heater core until the water is clear. You can always put another hose on the other side of the heater hose to carry the bad water out of the engine compartment without getting it all cruded up.

well the heater core took out the pass side floorboard, so its been bad for a while and not used haha! And im getting a new radiator, I just want to find the best way to flush out the block, while it is out of the car. I did order a brand new set of brass freeze plugs, so I am going to replace them all. (block ones are the only ones that look like this)

well the heater core took out the pass side floorboard, so its been bad for a while and not used haha!
not supprised, its going to look just like the bottom of the block but with thinner metal. when i did mine last year it took about 2 hours to scrape all the crap out to where i was just getting clear water

have fun :D

There are 2 jacket drains, one on each side that are the lowest points on the jacket (or at least a good drain source). REmove them and punch through the muck with a screwdriver so it drains again then run radiator flush through it. replace with brass freeze plugs and run it until warm with another radiator flush treatment. Itll never get hot tank clean, but distilled water and rust preventor or prestone should keep it nice and green.

With the freeze plugs out flushing the block with a garden hose is easy.

-
Back