RV Cover?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Looks like we will have a 17 foot travel trailer stored outside for upwards of 4 years. Winter weather is wet and blows like the devil, while summer is blistering hot and over 100 degrees over extended periods. It seems all covers (from the cheapo to the $500.00 models) are all manufactured in China. Reviews are all over the place, covers are shredding to pieces right and left. Some people believe the cover trouble and expense is not even worth it. Went on line to purchase, but after hours of study and reviews, I am more confused than ever and had to abort. I wish I could find a definitive answer to my dilemma, and I would even be willing to pay the price for an appropriate product but I don't want to throw money away. Warranties don't cover tears from wind damage and such. So what does one do, go underground?

If it's a long term storage, you can have it shrink wrapped. They do it for big boats and RVs all the time. You can even have the shrink wrap done over a cover to provide an extra layer of protection.

IMG_0446.JPG

Go to Camping World, get a good cover and get the replacement warranty.

Just remember damage to the RV from the cover flapping in the wind causes more damage than their worth. I really like the shrink wrap method.

Been looking for a cover for our trailer too. Like ya said, there is no go to cover for these things for some reason. You would thi atleast one company would stand out above the rest
Looks like most rv covers are universal fit but do have straps to make them tight so I don’t see a cover just flapping in the wind and causing damage. Whatever cover you decide on make sure it’s well vented.

Been looking for a cover for our trailer too. Like ya said, there is no go to cover for these things for some reason. You would thi atleast one company would stand out above the rest
Looks like most rv covers are universal fit but do have straps to make them tight so I don’t see a cover just flapping in the wind and causing damage. Whatever cover you decide on make sure it’s well vented.

No way in Hell to make a universal fit cover tight enough to not flap a little and rub the edges of your Trailer. I've seen holes rubbed in the corners of Rubber Roofs and paint rubbed off of metal roof edges.It was illegal to store RV'S at your house where I lived...I worked part time at a large RV Storage lot and observed a lot of damage when uncovered.

A pole shed is about the best investment to keep the rain off and shelter from the sun.
Up here the snow load buckles the roof, then water pools and destroys the interior.
I have 9 units stored under an old hay shed,all they get is a little dusting of snow.

Looks like we will have a 17 foot travel trailer stored outside for upwards of 4 years. Winter weather is wet and blows like the devil, while summer is blistering hot and over 100 degrees over extended periods. It seems all covers (from the cheapo to the $500.00 models) are all manufactured in China. Reviews are all over the place, covers are shredding to pieces right and left. Some people believe the cover trouble and expense is not even worth it. Went on line to purchase, but after hours of study and reviews, I am more confused than ever and had to abort. I wish I could find a definitive answer to my dilemma, and I would even be willing to pay the price for an appropriate product but I don't want to throw money away. Warranties don't cover tears from wind damage and such. So what does one do, go underground?
Pay to have it stored inside. Keeping it out of the weather even with a cover is much better for the unit. Much less maintenance down the road and will have better resale when it come time.

No way in Hell to make a universal fit cover tight enough to not flap a little and rub the edges of your Trailer. I've seen holes rubbed in the corners of Rubber Roofs and paint rubbed off of metal roof edges.It was illegal to store RV'S at your house where I lived...I worked part time at a large RV Storage lot and observed a lot of damage when uncovered.

My so called custom fit car cover flaps all over in the wind and doesn’t scratch the car.

Years ago my parents got a heavy canvas tarp from the Army Navy store. It was one of the heavy ones that looked like it was coated with Kerosene at some point or whatever that crap they used. It was water proof and heavy. We would toss it over the top and use rope under the trailer to tie it. My mom stitched on a 2" strip along the middle so we could also tie in there to tighten it up where needed. Look at the flatbed trucks going down the roads and how they have their tarps strapped down. Maybe see where to get 1 of those.

Rubberized canvas.or vinyl coated canvas. Durable and heavy. Priced accordingly.

-
Back