Ryan Dunn 'jackass' dies in crash

-
But I still put more blame on the speed of the car and the shape of the road. These newer sport cars take the bumps awful at speed..those low profile tires are like driving on rails, one bump and the car can skid out of control

Which is why 130mph should be reserved for a race track, not public highways... Unless of course you happen to live in Germany.

You blame the speed of the car... I blame the loose nut behind the wheel.

Ah I don't know if any of you actually know this but here's a NEWS FLASH! New cars are safer than old cars!!! OK carry on...

Yes they are, I just didn't want to get into that argument. They have high strength steel space frames, crush zones to direct and absorb the energy of the impact, air bags, anti lock brakes....... The list goes on.

Sure the outer skins are thinner than our old cars but for the most part the outer skins are cosmetic.

newer vehicles may be safer in certain situations....won't argue that. BUT in SOME situations (like low speed collision)....an old all metal heavier gauge sheet metal car with all steel bumper I think has better odds of avoiding damage/injury.

I had a 95 Bonneville about 3 years ago....was driving about 55 mph,a deer jumped out and i slammed the brakes....slowed down to maybe 35mph I would assume before I hit the deer.

hood wrinkled right up,headlights blew out,bumper caved in,fenders and all. however the inside WOULD have been fine except for the dumbass air bags went off.....when the passenger airbag went off it exploded the entire dash at which point exploded the entire windshield . when the drivers air bag went off it exploded directly into my chest and knocked the wind out of me and left a square bruise and smashed my glasses into my face.we all had our seatbelts on and it was a slow enough impact that the airbags were not really NEEDED and ended up causing more damage and injury than there would have been without them deploying.

and luckily my wife and son were unharmed.

and jsut after the airbags deployed...whatever white powder they used inside of the airbags completely filled the inside of the car and we all started choking and I had to fight to get my door open so I could run around and open the other doors to get my family.

air bags some times cause more damage than stopping damage.

Yup....... Sounds about right. New cars basically disintegrate in an effort to protect the passengers.

They are far safer but they can't take a punch and get back on their feet like old cars could.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g"]YouTube - ‪Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary‬‏[/ame]

Those Gm cars were bolts & panels in the front end=weak suck.

Lets see what a '66 chrysler 300 does the to the average mid/full size sedan.

funnier yet would be a '64 imperial or '66 lincoln head on with todays offerings..

I think the bottom line is....don't drink and drive and don't drive like an idiot....rather the car be old or new.....if your being stupid you could get hurt.

You would be just as dead in an old car.

yeah maybe so..

There is a limit to how much safety precautions can offer beyond certain speeds and crash/impact angle....some dont fair well at all in a t bone/broad side, they only test offset frontal impact, no centered head on or anything else...

btw She died after having her legs ripped off by the engine and/or pole.

Main reason we have air bags is to blow the drivers hands off the steering wheel and disable the car or truck after the first hit.

Watch the old Blues Brothers movie--like the Mall chase, that is why we have air bags

I got an old Motor Trend FEB 1972, they talk about seat belts and air bags. Claim the best is a loose seat belt and no airbag--but at the time it was one or the either, nobody dream we being using both. They show 10 bad wrecks where the people didn't die, they didn't even get hurt very bad, those cars were smashed too.

Thats another point, we have no more front bench seats and seat belt laws, so A..its harder or impossible to switch places with the passenger speeding down the road and the biggest reason, so if you crash and kill your passenger you can not switch places and claim the passenger was driving.....

I hit a almost brand new 1987 Jeep semi head on with my 1970 Cutlass, last seen the speed-o at 70 mph, I made a full recovery in 8 months after a 19 day hospital stay and a $35,000 bill--insurance paid all of it....if I was in these new "safe" cars, I would had died at the scene and saved my insurance company lots of money--oh yeah and I be off the road for good

Back in high school--late 70's-- we knew this mean jerk cop, he never wore his seatbelt but always wore an open face helmet, claimed to have totaled out 9 squad cars and was always back on the road with in 2 weeks--if not days, LOL

Running my rig around ninety-five,
Rockin' and rollin' in overdrive
My heart's beating like a jackhammer,
It's the midnight ride for the gear jammer

Nine long days through twenty-three states,
I gotta see my baby soon you know I just can't wait
The police catch me I'll end up in the slammer,
'Cause the law don't want no gear jammer
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/g/george_thorogood/gear_jammer.html ]
Running my rig in a mighty high gear,
I don't care where I go just long as it ain't here
Something gets in my way you know I'm gonna ram it,
Nobody fools around with this gear jammer

Running my rig about ninety-five,
I'm a-rockin' and a-rollin' in overdrive
My heart's beating like a jackhammer,
Don't you get in the way of this gear jammer

Cooped up inside the house
She had no place to go
Runnin for the weekend
Her daddy done told her no.

All alone with the TV set
Thinkin of things to do
Gonna call up her best girlfriend
Cause maybe she can do it too

Her daddy had bought a brand new car
Shiny red as can be
A convertible top and a cb too
"Or maybe he got it for me"

She got the nerve
She got the keys
Take it for a little ride
Aint old enough to drive alone
But she just couldn't stay inside

So they cruised downtown to the local run
Show off a new Cadillac
A little high maybe do or die
She aint gonna make it back

Its a big red El Dorado
Much too fast for her
Forgot about tomorrow
That much is for sure

Ah oh

She didn't see the tandem gravel truck
Passin on the curve
Too much fun
Too little luck
She didn't have time to swerve

Terminus terminus
Terminus El Dorado

Terminus terminus
Terminus El Dorado

Terminus terminus
Its all over for you baby

No more

Should have listened to your papa

The crows be pickin at your flesh
And ya got no control of the sitiation

Ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha

Good riddance baby
Bye bye
Bye bye baby
Ha ha ha
Nah nah na nah nah naahh naahh

Its the decceleration of your internal organs that injure/kill you, not how much sheet metal is around you. The reason your safer in a new car is the car absorbs the impact which decreases the g-forces your internal body parts take. Also new seat belts slip as you put a big g-load on them and finally the air bag softens the blow as you approach the dash. Anyone who tells you that they are alive today because they didn't wear a seat belt is wrong and extremely lucky. New cars numb our senses and let inexperienced/ bad drivers think they are good drivers. The car does it all and makes new cars less fun IMHO.

That video just proves what we all know... everything else being equal, you're much better off in a bigger, heavier car. Actually, it looks like the Gremlin didn't do too badly compared to the other small cars with relatively little roof buckling/deformation. Surprisingly, (maybe not so much) the LTD got some serious damage from that Pinto.

Meanwhile, the reason new cars do so well in crash tests is that the manufacturers all build the cars with the tests in mind. For example, if you know your car is going to be tested in a 40MPH offset frontal impact (like the Impala/Bel Air crash,) you engineer the crumple zone to absorb that impact. So what happens if you do the same test at 60MPH? The crumple zone gets "used up" and the rest of the car starts to crumple as well. Now do the test at 130MPH and the entire car becomes a crumple zone.

Heres an ole' box Nova that hit a pole (racing) with another Chevy. Obviously, its a good reason NOT to drive a Chevy. This was a block from my house when I was younger. My Dad took the pictures. I think this was ~ 1975 or so.

Attachments

• grey2.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 100
  • grey1.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 91
  • grey3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 94
  • white1.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 94
  • white2.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 89
I am on that road almost every night.It is very dark for one thing.It looks like he missed the turn to rt100 and ran off the road.Beening drunk and running 130mph you will easly miss the turn.I am going to try to remember my camera to take pictures.The cars tire tracks turned like he was going up the ramp but he went streight in the woods next to the ramp. Mark

I just seen an interview yesterday of bam margera (his best friend and pro skate border).

He said that in 1996 he was in the car with him and in the EXACT same spot he rolled the car they were in 8 times.

so he has screwed up at that spot once before and should have known better.

and margera said also like was mentioned above that he probably missed the turn and instead of stopping and turning around he probably tried to maneuver at full speed into the turn.

he said he had a drinking problem and that he was a "maniac behind the wheel of a car" said he was a horrible driver because he thought he was invincible and told everyone he was a "pro at driving".

margera said that when they did the cross country racing in a lambo that when he got to tired to drive and needed a nap he would have to switch spots with dunn and let him drive.....and once he was driving he was to scared to fall asleep that he ended up staying up and white knuckeling the dash because of how scary of a driver he was.

it sounds like it was only a matter of time between his drinking problem and his mentality and pure ignorance behind the wheel.

My CHP inspector says the safest cars are the mid 70's luxo barges. High mass with a low center of gravity, everything is padded.

He said that in 1996 he was in the car with him and in the EXACT same spot he rolled the car they were in 8 times.

so he has screwed up at that spot once before and should have known better.

Just proves that he wasn't "acting" when he played stupid.. he came by it naturally

-
Back