Safe disc Thickness? Odd anti-rattle/ retainer set up

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 70 Dart with K/H discs. I can't read the minimum Thickness number cast in the disc. Does someone know what the number is?

I got rebuilt calipers and pads from Rock Auto, but they didn't come with the clips that retain the pads and keep them from rattling around. I looked through my disc brake parts and came up with the ones pictured below. I have never seen a set like this before. They say K/H right on them, just wondering if anybody has had experience with these.

DSC02914.JPG

That's a 1965 pad retainer.
If i remember correctly from when i did lots of these brakes, minimum is either .780 or .790

Fine lines
Inline Tube.
Classic Tube.
And others, sell the hard lines.

And.
If you really want pad retainer clips like that, any Mustang restoration company that you can think of, will have retainers like that.

Last edited:
IIRC, first gen Mustang GTs used a very similar setup. Maybe there was a mixup? I'll go look at some of mine tomorrow, if you'd like.

According to rock auto.....cough cough hack hack.......the discard thickness coincides with what Jim said at .790. no surprise there, as Jim has forgotten more about Mopars than most people will ever know.

I'm working on a 70 Dart with K/H discs. I can't read the minimum Thickness number cast in the disc. Does someone know what the number is?

I got rebuilt calipers and pads from Rock Auto, but they didn't come with the clips that retain the pads and keep them from rattling around. I looked through my disc brake parts and came up with the ones pictured below. I have never seen a set like this before. They say K/H right on them, just wondering if anybody has had experience with these.

View attachment 1715893071
Yes, that's the stock retainer for the '65-6 A-bodies. As mentioned, the minimum thickness for factory rotors is .790, although I've turned my own up to .030 thinner than that with no problems. That was back when those rotors were made of unobtainium. Nowadays, you can just get new ones pretty cheap.

Remember that there are 2 minimum numbers. Machine to and discard.
The machine to number is the minimum thickness with new pads.
As the pads wear, so does the rotor.
The discard spec is the number to toss at regardless of how much pad is left.
The Factory Service Manual that everyone should have has all kinds of brake info, right from Mother Mopars mouth.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

Remember that there are 2 minimum numbers. Machine to and discard.
The machine to number is the minimum thickness with new pads.
As the pads wear, so does the rotor.
The discard spec is the number to toss at regardless of how much pad is left.
The Factory Service Manual that everyone should have has all kinds of brake info, right from Mother Mopars mouth.
Service Manuals – MyMopar
Which is why I specified "discard"

Last edited:
-
Back