Safe to Remove Inner Fenders?

-

HB69DART

Reaction score
I would like to remove the inner fenders on my '69 Dart. The local so cal chassis shop is going to tie-in the roll cage thru the firewall to the front frame rails and to the shock towers. I actually don't need the towers, as I have an Alterkation installed, but it would be another good structural connection.

My concern is what issues I might have with respect to body alignment by removing the inner fenders, which are a structural component. If I brace as described, do I need to worry about panel alignment going south? Things like the front and left side fenders, the hood, etc.

Thanks for any info you can share :toothy7:

I have had my inner fenders removed for 2 years now with no ill effects. I have bars running from the front of the frame rail back to my front hoop on my cage. Since I drag race my car the front end gets cycled up and down alot and everything is still in alignment.

My opinion is that it looks bad and doesnt really save much weight.

AdamR said:
My opinion is that it looks bad and doesnt really save much weight.

i agree. but mine have been cut in half and patched togather with an other. there are dents everywhere. it just seems like it would be easier to replace them.

I know the feeling. Ive been working on mine work a few weeks now. 4 patches in the passangerside apron, 1 in the driverside and a lot of welding up old screw holes.

You cant buy replacements you'll need to find a pair from another car or NOS ones. Then theres a lot of drilling of spot welds but they probably arent to bad to replace. Its just finding a good set to use.

Unless you intend to make your street driven car == a race car, you will regret removing the inner fenders.

Basically by removing the inner fenders, you are removing some of the structural integrity of the car.

If you ever decide to sell this car without the inner fenders in place, the first thought a buyer will have is that your car has been extensively raced.

In any event, you lose when you remove inner fenders on a Mopar.

Vs29H1B said:
Unless you intend to make your street driven car == a race car, you will regret removing the inner fenders.

Basically by removing the inner fenders, you are removing some of the structural integrity of the car.

If you ever decide to sell this car without the inner fenders in place, the first thought a buyer will have is that your car has been extensively raced.

In any event, you lose when you remove inner fenders on a Mopar.

like i said. i was going to replace them. i just wanted to know if i would run into other prolblems like the fenders not linning up very straight

what do you need Inner or Outer fenders for, :thumbup:

Heck what do you even want a windshield or doors,for;
if your Really trying to save weight,
just use some Saran Wrap.

Oh and if your trying to go Fast, to save more weight,
get rid of the brakes.

It worked in the Movies anyways, for Burt Munro. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/

Now, not being a Smartyas$, but trying to be helpful;

I would suggest looking at the cowl area, and see if it will flex,
if you remove too much of the support for it.

I would bet there is a point of removal of metal,
with not good results.

Are you making this a Full frame car,
like a Nascar setup,
whearas the fenders/roof etc, are just there for wind resistance??

If you are removing to replace, then do one side at a time and you shouldnt lose too much alignment. Just make sure to measure before you start cutting, and again before you start welding. Having the car on stands, t-bars backed off etc will help.

Not a street friendly mod! You WILL overheat with those two big fans (tires) blowing air forward. Not to mention the rocks they will fire at your radiator like bullets. Also since the top of the fender bolts to the inner fender, you will need to fab some sort of rail to keep things in place or things will go out of alignment really fast.

Mopar muscle just did an artical on replacing the inner fenders. As it was stated before its just alot of cutting out spotwelds and measuring but it didnt look all that hard.

Luckily I did mine Like Adam, I left the basic peice in and just cut out the bad areas then replaced them with a donor fender. Tack weld in spots...use your finger to line up the metal even. then go and fill in around the tack welds. never try to lay a bead on that sheet metal only tacks.

-
Back