safety

-

383Scampman

Reaction score
Attended a local car show yesterday . Came across an a-body more door owned by a 30 something . Asked his permission to look over his ride . Granted . This car looked like it fell off a cliff . Bald tires , sagging springs , cracked glass and filthy dirty . The dude was the original "Joe **** the rag picker ". I don't really care if he has a death wish what I do care about is him on the road when I'm there too . Or, some 4 year old child running out in front of him and he can't stop . Please help me understand these morons . Thanks , Tom

It ain't just in old mopars. They're everywhere. I wont be surprised if at some point in the future it becomes "law" to have your vehicle safetied/certified every few years.

Pennsylvania and Georgia had safety inspections in the past, but discontinued them for some reason. As a 16 year old driver I remember going through my car lights, horn, windshield wipers, brakes, tires before taking it for an inspection.

We have them here in Ontario but only when vehicle changes ownership.
Pennsylvania and Georgia had safety inspections in the past, but discontinued them for some reason. As a 16 year old driver I remember going through my car lights, horn, windshield wipers, brakes, tires before taking it for an inspection.

When I moved to AZ I had to have my bike smogged. I was sitting behind this rolling wreck. Both rear shocks were dangling. Windshield was shattered on the passenger side, look folks were fighting and someone got tossed onto it. Everything that had fluid in it left a small puddle. Belts hanging out of one of the front tires. I started talking with one of the smog stations employees.."all we care about is that you meet the emissions standards....everything else is on law enforcement...."

r
It ain't just in old mopars. They're everywhere. I wont be surprised if at some point in the future it becomes "law" to have your vehicle safetied/certified every few years.

that's the way it is in the Netherlands, every vehicle over 36 months old needs to be checked by a licensed shop
if you pass, your plates can be renewed, and if you fail, you can NOT renew the plates on that vehicle until after whatever was wrong got fixed
I once had a car fail because of worn out bushings in the front end

the "only" things that could fail would be things they deem dangerous (bald tires for instance) or emissions issues

im not a big fan of more government, and more rules, but if we cant trust people to keep their vehicle in safe conditions, maybe its needed

r

that's the way it is in the Netherlands, every vehicle over 36 months old needs to be checked by a licensed shop
if you pass, your plates can be renewed, and if you fail, you can NOT renew the plates on that vehicle until after whatever was wrong got fixed
I once had a car fail because of worn out bushings in the front end

the "only" things that could fail would be things they deem dangerous (bald tires for instance) or emissions issues

im not a big fan of more government, and more rules, but if we cant trust people to keep their vehicle in safe conditions, maybe its needed

I was a professional mechanic most of my life, and I can guaranty you that people won't keep their vehicle in safe condition.:D

I had a pickup come in with what the customer called transmission issue's and when I looked under the truck I found both pivot points for his drivers side lower A arm snapped completely off (gone) and about 30 coat hangers worth of wire strapping the A arm to the frame.
They declined fixing it before they drove it the 80 miles to where they wanted to go.
Don't know what the transmission complaint was as I had it impounded without driving it.

A young guy came in with a Cadillac and when the lift took it off the ground about 20 pieces of 2x4 (wood) fell out from under it onto the floor.
I told the guys to put it down and tell him to come get it.
It was sitting on the frame after it came down, so we had to use a service jack on both ends to get it out of the building.
He had lowered it by taking all the springs out and using the 2x4 pieces stacked to set his ride height.
Actually that guy threatened to sue because we wouldn'y put all the wood back.:D

Yea, people won't make sure their vehicles are safe.

PA sill has an annual safety inspection as well as emissions. The safety part is pretty strict.

Brakes, suspension, tires, wipers, glass, and body rust are all included...and more.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/D...als/Pub_45 Inspections Regulations/PUB-45.pdf

By the way, I think safety inspections are good to a point and if affordable.

Seeing the stuff driving around Georgia is scary!!

Sadly I have to junk my 2000 Durango because of rust issues . Drive train and suspension are fine . Rockers and fenders and quarters are totally cancerous . Sad. Can't afford to buy another shitbox .

//////////////////////////////////////////////
When did PA stop inspections ?
I have a car and truck that are due right now.

When I was young, Colorado had safety inspections. They gave up the safety inspections when they started emissions testing. Guess they felt they couldn't do both.

//////////////////////////////////////////////
When did PA stop inspections ?
I have a car and truck that are due right now.

Dang, really. I grew up there and left when I was 21. I thought I heard they did away with safety inspections but I guess not.

Huge money maker for the state, but it does help keep safer cars on the road.

-
Back