sandblasting any trail/error issues

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
just got back from harbor freight , bought a 110lb sand blaster...want to used sand..what type ? issues in using ? need to blast my brake/peddle assembly, disk brake assembly, rusty Dart fender..stuff..thanks !

I actually prefer using aluminum oxide. I use a 4' plastic childs pool underneath whatever Im working on to collect all the debris. A quick pour through my sifter and 80%+ of it is back ready to go good as new. Im sure that others have their favorites.

just got back from harbor freight , bought a 110lb sand blaster...want to used sand..what type ? issues in using ? need to blast my brake/peddle assembly, disk brake assembly, rusty Dart fender..stuff..thanks !

wow thats a heavy sand blaster,,,LOL...Regular old play sand works well on parts....nots sure on the body panels may be what the other guy said...

That will gulp a lot of air, be sure to give your compressor (hope it's a big one) plenty of air, if it gets hot it will start pumping water into the line. That said, have a good filter in the line - I use a water trap and then a motor toilet paper filter. When blasting on sheet metal do not stay in one place very long or it will heat and distort the panel.
C

Wear a paint respirator! one with a couple filters.

Otherwise you become a potential sufferer of Silicosis...painful, I'm sure.
Regular paper dust masks are not good enough!

I know it is a pain, but you only live once.
AP1811ART.jpg

I actually prefer using aluminum oxide. I use a 4' plastic childs pool underneath whatever Im working on to collect all the debris. A quick pour through my sifter and 80%+ of it is back ready to go good as new. Im sure that others have their favorites.

our unit did not come with a sifter...where would you get one ?

Wear a paint respirator! one with a couple filters.

Otherwise you become a potential sufferer of Silicosis...painful, I'm sure.
Regular paper dust masks are not good enough!

I know it is a pain, but you only live once.
AP1811ART.jpg

u know. I was going to pay a blasting company to do this work, but i have done it years ago..that person said that sand was a carsongin (spelling) that i did not know...he does not use it.

I bought a Eastwood sodablaster a month ago. I first tried Feed Grade Soda because I didn't want to pay $40 a bag for the "media" soda. It got clogged way to much and was too small of particles. I went and got the correct media then my compressor couldn't keep pressure up enought to use it longer than 5 seconds. Now I'm going to rent a towable compressor with more then enough CFM to push the media with the biggest nozzle. Still cheaper then outsourcing and will be able to do more later, once I buy a compressor.

I bought a Eastwood sodablaster a month ago. I first tried Feed Grade Soda because I didn't want to pay $40 a bag for the "media" soda. It got clogged way to much and was too small of particles. I went and got the correct media then my compressor couldn't keep pressure up enought to use it longer than 5 seconds. Now I'm going to rent a towable compressor with more then enough CFM to push the media with the biggest nozzle. Still cheaper then outsourcing and will be able to do more later, once I buy a compressor.
Curious, what size/cfm compressor do you have and what was the one you rented?

what was that rent $$$

I just bought a 40lb bag of wet :violent1: white play sand $4.23 total...it is now drying in wheel barrel. my compressor is the pancake carpender type..does work DA sander for a while, and air gun...but runs out of air faster then I like..We have a big one in Delaware..so we c.

It was a small 20 gal CH 3.5 hp like 8 or 9 @ 90psi. I ran the smallest nozzle and it wouldn't keep tank pressure above 30psi. I called local Lowes and can rent a hugh diesel compressor like they use for jack hammers and it was around $100 for friday night to Monday morning. Like over 200 cfm and I can use the big nozzle to get done quicker.

Not to discourage - but your compressor ain't gonna get it, unless your blasting a few small parts. I've got the HF 90 lb job, and a large compressor - stopping every minute or so to let it build up pressure - handles smaller items okay, once the moisture starts building in the blaster, it gets real aggravating as well (basic moisture filters) To do the job right and make it half way pleasant = $$$

It has a dryer on it, but it doesn't catch it all. I had to shake the blaster constantly and adjust it to keep it going on that low of CFM. That's why I'm getting the towable compressor. Should be able to push out a bowling ball with that.

You need at least a 60 gal tank to do any serious blasting.

A 2 stage is better than a single.

Even then,you will need to take breaks,so as to not melt your compressor.

Blasting takes serious quantities of air

I true'ly forgot how much fun it was...
truegrit.jpg

wet sand is a NO
small compressor is a NO
so it's a NO GO..

need AIR.

back in the day...I saw an attachmernt ..that screwed into your spark plug hole on your V8 engine.....it gave you air pressure from the engine compression...anywho ?

I use SILICA SAND. It's a glass bead that does a nice job on small parts. Stays dry also. Sounds like you'll need a bigger compressor with the blasting unit you bought. Good luck.

Jon,
You WILL need more air compressor if you plan on doing any amount of blasting. I have tried all kind of sand and settled on buying blasting media/sand and keep it dry.Reusing it is OK as long as you screen it as stated above. Its the job that I least look forward to!!!

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

But its worth it because everything comes out real nice in the end. I wouldn't do any body panels with a sand blaster as you could warp them if you're not real, real careful. IMHO!!!
Brad

as I stuyded my work area....I heard a voice..

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

seen several good suggestions and I have just a couple more. If you are doing the entire car you will need alot of sand, we have a cement floor paint booth style room completely cleaned prior to the job so we can sweep up and reuse the sand. After abouy 3 passes through the gun it's more like dust than sand so we add a fresh bag with each round. If yuou use a long 20 or more foot pressure hose to the blast unit that gives the moisture time to condense and get trapped in the water trap right before the pressure tank. You certainly need alot of air as in the trailer diesel type and any debris and or moisture of any kind will plug that blaster no matter how much pressure you have behind it. We filter every grain. underside body coating is rubbery and you will be amazed how much work it takes to get it off. lastly , we used to use silica sand but it does create silica dust which is dangerous aswell so keep the mask on. ( I'm as aircraft restoration shop hobbying with my car!)

I soda blasted my car this weekend. What a chore. The eastwood blaster was/is a POS. I know I had enough CFM. The blaster would either put out too much media or not enough. When I finally get the mix right the hose would rip, come off the tank, or nozzle. Had to cut and shorten hose 4 times. I went thru at least 7 50lb. bags and it still wasn't enough for the whole car, even though Eastwood said it would be more then enough. SOOOOO much dust. It was almost unbearable. I couldn't where the mask because the dust would just blow up into it. I would have been fun if I didn't have to stop every ten minutes for something.

-
Back