sandblasting engine

-

fitchett

Reaction score
i picked up a 77 360 and im just gonna run it for now been through couple cans of degresser already and still not clean.if everything is plugged up good does sandblasting do a nice job.

My friend did this. Taped everything up and it worked great! The engine is damn clean.

Unfortunately some sand did get in the intake. He is now pulling the engine apart to clean the sand out.

You are better off sticking with degreaser and wire brushes.

I have found the original, harsh smelling, Easy-Off oven cleaner works better than most engine degreasers.

We did it once..... on a non mopar smallblock motor and it looked great.
The best advice I can give is, to use some lacquer or enamel cleaner (some guy's like to use brake cleaner) on any surface that you are going to seal up using tape. Duct tape is the best to use, get a good grade of tape, as they make different grade's of it. The most important area of couse.... is the intake manifold carb flange and exhaust port's. When we taped our carb flange off, I run the first layer of tape one direction, then a second layer the opposite direction. then cut off all overhanging tape with a razor blade. Take your time, then it will come out good.

I wouldn't do it unless it was on an engine that was not built yet.

Anything you use besides engine degreaser will ruin the front and rear seal and the intake gasket ends if not careful. Do not use media on the engine ever. Once sand gets in its done. you will never get it out with out complete disassembly. and hot tank and presure washer. Sand or glass will eat that motor up so fast you may not save the crank. put a wire wheel on a slow drill. . There is no quick way to clean motors.

I just did my 340 I stripped it to a bare block and used 15 cans of Walmart Carb cleaner an the wire wheel . It eats the paint right off. I will be posting it on my duster ground up thread. I am glad I ripped it down . It had a crushed rod bearing and worn thrust bearing. Gasket kits are cheap compared to a new motor. I would tear it down. I put many so called good motors in just to find out they were not worth the labor to install them. Do it right at least check the rod bearings The thrust and replace the oil pump.

See if one of your local car washes has heated water. I have always had good luck using a steam/pressure washer.

Somebody mentioned oven cleaner. Not just for your situation but in general. Just sayin I use it all the time for gross decon but get it at the dollar store. A buck a can is way cheaper than the legendary "G" product. (cant beat that gunk smell though)

I would not sand blast and engine. I do media blast parts, but never interior surfaces of anything and never valve covers unless the baffles can be removed for cleaning. I use laquer thinner, rags, and wire brushes when it's a Krylon rebuild.

Save the sandblasting for individual parts and pressure wash/oven cleaner/pressure wash/oven cleaner the motor to get the grease off. The oven cleaner _should_ get rid of all the paint that's still sticking to it but if not, get an aerosol paint stripper and it should bubble everything else up. If it has surface rust, use some naval jelly (goop it on fairly thick with a brush or an old rag) and let it sit a few hours, then pressure wash again. That should basically leave you a surgically clean engine block without ever blowing sand at its sensitive guts. It's time consuming, but if you want it clean, you can either do it slow with very low risk (elbow grease), do it fast with lots and lots of work (tear down and hot-tank), or do it fast with huge amounts of risk (sandblasting). Soda blasting might be an option if you have a cabinet big enough to fit the block in. It washes clean and shouldn't leave any grit if you're careful.

-
Back