Sanderson DD7 Headers or TTI "step"

-

A325ic

GTS Registry #555
Reaction score
I have seen this posted before but there were no answers ...
Has anyone installed a set of Sanderson DDY shorty headers? I am ready to do some winter upgrades and I am going to install the TTI "step" headers or the Sanderson DD7's. I like the DD7's but I would like to know first if there are any install problems. I have a 1968 Dart 340 with an A833 4-speed. Still using the "Z" bar, no power steering , no power brakes.
Sandersons are 1.500 Dia. pipes into a 2.500 Dia. collector. TTI stepped headers are 1.625 pipes stepped up to 1.750 into a 3.00 collector. In either case I will take to a muffler shop to connect into my old under car system. I have off work this week and would love to get this done asap. Neither option is cheap so I would love to learn from someones experience.

Well I am Running TTI's on my 69' 340 Dart with a Scatter sheild & Power steering with NO fitment issues.

I was going with the TTI's. I actually bought a pair from HP Engines, (a fantastic engine builder both in personality and intelligence in Albemarle, NC. they won 3rd place in MOPAR Muscle engine builders national contest), but the headers were the 1.875 Dia. pipes into a 3.500 collector, (full race headers). I did not fully explain myself to him, and since I am not going racing, these would actually hurt by low end torque. They were gracious enough to take them back with no questions. In seaching for data I learned that I needed the "step" headers also I came across the Sanderson DD7's, I really like the looks of these but I will go with what others experience dictates. either the TTI's "step" or the Sanderson DD7's. To mrdodge69 and to others ... Thank You for your input.

I also have the TTI step headers with the factory Z bar in a 71 Demon with a mini starter. It is a tight fit and the Z bar is very close, but does clear. I have the complete TTI exhaust system, and is a very good fit., sorry I have no experience with the sanderson DD7's.

I would recomend the TTI's.

I appreciate the replys on the TTI's and had I not seen the Sanderson DD7's the TTI "step" headers would have been a done deal. The one problem I have with the TTI's is, I am told that they will not work with fast ratio steering, (which along with power steering is a future project). Has anyone out there installed or have any experience the Sanderson DD7's and do you have any photos after the install. It looks like the DD7's would not give me any problems with my future plans and the TTI's might.

I have the TTI step headers with full TTI exhaust on my 68 dart. I also have a mini starter which was a pain to put in. I have minor clearance issues such as #3 header tube is very close to the aluminum head as it swoopes down, #7 tube is also very close to the brake line/frame rail area...I just wrapped with some fiberglass wrap. The wires/terminal on the mini starter is also very close to the header which I also wrapped with fiberglass. My Z-bar cleared the headers but its close to the starter. Overall the headers fit well just tight in some spots. Some guys have "miles" of clearance and some guys have tight fits like me. I really think its all about car-to-car inconsistencies (tolerances) of how they were built in the 60's.

Thank You gold68dart ... I joined this forum 11 months ago, I have read several posts but this is my first request for information. I wish I know this forum better, I would love to post some pics of my 68 Dart but they are all to big, (pixels). It has an awsome paint job. It is 1992 viper red, mini tubbed, skinnys on the front. It has won awards for the paint, under the hood loks just as awsome. The engine needs to come back out to be cleaned and repainted. The one sore spot is the headers, they are rusty. I want to buy and install some ceramic coated headers, just looking for some information on headers that will fit into my future plans. I truly want to thank your for your detailed response. I currently live in North Carolina but I used to live in Binghamton,NY so over the last 30 I have made many trips through the Poconos up I-81. It is beautiful country up that way, the Smokeys down here are just as awsome.

Thank You Keith Mopar for your input ... I like the TTI's, but I am concerned about my future plans of adding fast ratio steering. Unless I can get some info here on Sanderson DD7's or dig up some somewhere else, I will more than likely buy and install the TTI step headers with the recommended mini starter. I almost wish I had not seen the Sanderson shorty headers, this would have been a done deal. It just looks like the Sanderson DD7's give me more options for the future ... I just need some information .. I thought for sure someone on here would have purchased and installed the DD7's, and perhaps had some photo's. No sense in beating a dead horse ... I guess I need to quit asking here and look for answers elsewhere. I do want to thank you all for taking the time to reply. Long live the "A" body ... what a fun car to own, the 340 is a fantastic little small block.

I have seen this posted before but there were no answers ...
Has anyone installed a set of Sanderson DDY shorty headers?.... (much snippage)

The direct answer to your question is I know of ONE satisfied Sanderson DD7 user who has posted here. On F.A.B.O. there are over 20 threads mentioning those headers.
I even went so far as calling them and talking to the contact person mentioned in one thread. The guy (Francisco) told me he had made two sets for the guy in Florida.
Headers just haven't been on my radar lately, I already have a set of Spitfires waiting for my next V8 Dart project.
From my recollection of the chat with Francisco it seems someone just needs to make serious inquiry with the idea of actually ordering twins to the '63-'66 A body headers he made for the guy in Fla. Why not you??

ATB

BC

64ragtop .. I did not know how to do a broader search on this forum but ... since you stated that there was already some information on here about Sanderson DD7's. I took the time to learn how to do some searching. I want to THANK YOU, I believe all my questions have been answered. It looks like I will be going with the TTI's. Those photo's of those severly beaten DD7's opened my eyes .. again Thank You. I would still like to improve my steering. Since I can not do that with the TTI's step header and a longer pitman arm, I need to research this a little more. I believe I might be able to just buy a new manual steering box from Flaming River with a 16:1 ratio, again I need to do some more research.

My pleasure, my job. I've learned so much from this forum and it's always a pleasure to be able to help someone out. The seaarch function truly is your friend. You may not find exactly what you're looking for, but you will learn and narrow your inquiry and ask the right questions.

The quick ratio steering box, or the longer pitman arm will require more effort to make your turns. It'll be good exercise. There's always a trade off. There's just not enough room in the '63 - '66 A bodies for power steering gear and headers, which is why I'm researching rack and pinion conversions,

ATB

BC

-
Back