Say good bye to a very nice car. Or help me fix it. It was worse in 84

-
I just drove to Dallas and back straight through for a WRX. If it is what I am after I'll take the ride. Do you know where I can see pics of the car and what color is it. Mine started life in Bahama yellow, I painted it Orange. Thanks Steve

Did a quick search, and found the referenced moparts listing picture.

Also here are some pics and link from the Hemmings add,

"Devil in a yellow dress - 1971 Plymouth Valiant

A 500hp 1971 Plymouth Valiant Duster 340? We'd like to ask you a few questions, sir"

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/m...ow-dress---1971-Plymouth-Valiant/1282058.html

bigblock340power.jpg

43510-130-0.jpg

43511-130-0.jpg

23646881-370-0@2x.jpg

Last edited:
It was worse in 84 and I fixed it. I will miss this car . I owned it since 73. It didn't have a chip in it. Less than 1000 miles on car. I Had the front end aligned and he didn't tighten the upper control arm bolts. Right wheel moved back against the fender and cut the tire sent me right off the road.

I had the factory mags on it from the road runner. If I would have had the front runners on the tire wouldn't have hit. I need a nice body Anyone out there that can help I would appreciate it . The car was only insured for $27,500 without buy back. View attachment 1715049298 View attachment 1715049299

View attachment 1715049300

View attachment 1715049301

View attachment 1715049302

View attachment 1715049303

View attachment 1715049304
[FOR SALE] - 1971 Duster

Wow, just saw this. Steve, unbelievable and so close to the house. Glad you are ok. That was was one beautiful Mopar, for sure. I wish you the best on the rebuild!

I recommend giving Mike a call and he will be happy to talk to you and answer any questions you have. You will not be disappointed - Mike is a really stand up guy --- he like you knows Dusters, and built this car as a labor of love. It is done right, front to back, body is outstanding, drivetrain is also top notch. I have gone back and forth whether to pursue this car, but it is a bit out of my price range at this time. Really sorry to see your car in the current state. Finally, on Moparts, there are a number of guys who could do a full inspection of the car for you, full video, whatever you need, for a small price. Also, there are some shipping alternatives over there - a couple of members provide those services. Best to you on whatever you decide.

This thread got me thinking. I just had my alignment done on my 68 Dart a couple months ago and never double checked the torque on the cam bolts. Went out and pulled the front wheels to check the torque on the upper control arm cam bolts. Turns out, they were nowhere near the proper torque. This thread is a good reminder to double check any time someone else does anything to your car, since it's your butt in the driver's seat.

I used lock nuts on my Barracuda when I swapped to adj UCA. I don't see why everybody doesn't use lock nuts especially when you see stuff like this happen??

Treblig

Did a quick search, and found the referenced moparts listing picture.

Also here are some pics and link from the Hemmings add,

"Devil in a yellow dress - 1971 Plymouth Valiant

A 500hp 1971 Plymouth Valiant Duster 340? We'd like to ask you a few questions, sir"

I used those pics from that artical for some of my detail work. That would be the ultimate replacement. He would have to come down about 5k.

The green one is worth about 16.

I just found this one real close. and it is the original color of mine

.1971 Plymouth Duster Mopar

I only need a body to work with. I have help to finish it quick. My sons whole crew is going to dig in as soon as one that deserves the transformation arrives. It has to be a 71 they are different shells than a 70.

I used those pics from that artical for some of my detail work. That would be the ultimate replacement. He would have to come down about 5k.

The green one is worth about 16.

I just found this one real close. and it is the original color of mine

.1971 Plymouth Duster Mopar

I only need a body to work with. I have help to finish it quick. My sons whole crew is going to dig in as soon as one that deserves the transformation arrives. It has to be a 71 they are different shells than a 70.

That's great, I noticed the one you posted from craigslist is the same one listed directly here on FABO.

[FOR SALE] - 1971 Duster

Hopefully you can work a deal on it that makes sense so you can take advantage of all that support from your son & crew getting yours back on the road quickly.

Curious about your reference as to there being a differences between the 70 and 71 body shells, can you share what they are?

Last edited:
The roof structure is a lot different for the head liner including the number of bows on some.

front fenders are different fenders had no hood pin access.

Some 70's had different size door jam switches hole.

And holes are not there for the evap. system in the frame or body.

These would be noticeable if building a 71. What some don't know is some 71 cars I have seen did not come with body numbers.

I just sold a real nice 71 dart without any at all. on the rad support or package tray or deck lip. They used it to re body a 70 340 swinger that was chopped up for drag use. Welded in the evap. hole and removed the tab in the trunk .

71's can be re bodied without suspicion . Just remove the numbers as if they were never there. But a 70 you all would be able to tell if it was used to re body a 71. do to the different structure.

I am not giving up my Title. I owned this car for almost 40 years and it will be re made exactly how it was. I am not building it for resale and it will always stay in the family.

That's great, I noticed the one you posted from craigslist is the same one listed directly here on FABO.

[FOR SALE] - 1971 Duster

Hopefully you can work a deal on it that makes sense so you can take advantage of all that support from your son & crew getting yours back on the road quickly.
Thanks I just PM'd him. I need the car ASAP and he hasn't given me an address. I don't want to miss out on others I am passing up. Does anyone know him that could give him a call for me. and tell him to call me I left him my number Thanks Steve

........... What some don't know is some 71 cars I have seen did not come with body numbers.

I just sold a real nice 71 dart without any at all. on the rad support or package tray or deck lip. .

That's pretty amazing. I might'a told you this earlier, you should write a book. Even if you don't print publish it, sell it as a pdf/ etc.

The roof structure is a lot different for the head liner including the number of bows on some.

front fenders are different fenders had no hood pin access.

Some 70's had different size door jam switches hole.

And holes are not there for the evap. system in the frame or body.

These would be noticeable if building a 71. What some don't know is some 71 cars I have seen did not come with body numbers.

I just sold a real nice 71 dart without any at all. on the rad support or package tray or deck lip. They used it to re body a 70 340 swinger that was chopped up for drag use. Welded in the evap. hole and removed the tab in the trunk .

71's can be re bodied without suspicion . Just remove the numbers as if they were never there. But a 70 you all would be able to tell if it was used to re body a 71. do to the different structure.

I am not giving up my Title. I owned this car for almost 40 years and it will be re made exactly how it was. I am not building it for resale and it will always stay in the family.

Very interesting/educational information, thanks for sharing, also understandable regarding not giving up your title.

Glad ur ok Steve. But I don't believe in a re body no matter what the reason. No matter how much sense it seems to make, it is still illegal. Kim

Bummed about Your ride Man, She was sweet, but more thankful Nobody got hurt............the other side & an oncoming truck and........................
I would understand not suing a super-small shop run by a decent guy, but Your Insurance Co. should be looking at His insurance,......that's what it's for...
One of our lube-techs missed a filter gasket on the block of a '16,.....ran out of oil on the hill right in frt. of the dealer, partially thanks to the new fiber-
board full lower engine covers..........soaked up almost every drop.........that was a call to the ins. Co. :rolleyes:, new engine & gone.......................

Thanks I just PM'd him. I need the car ASAP and he hasn't given me an address. I don't want to miss out on others I am passing up. Does anyone know him that could give him a call for me. and tell him to call me I left him my number Thanks Steve

Looks like just joined Friday only to list the car for sale here. Also looks like he used is ream name as his id? Do a Google search on his name in middle river, md (based on the cl ad) you might find direct contact info.

I just pm'd you... I found him on the web. Can see the car wrapped up under a tarp in his driveway on Google maps street view....

Last edited:
Glad ur ok Steve. But I don't believe in a re body no matter what the reason. No matter how much sense it seems to make, it is still illegal. Kim

I agree if you are building and original car. Mine is a Street / Drag car.

In 1993 it was wrapped around a tree. Used a 68 dart front clip to fix it. It also had the complete side tore off in in 2001. I replace the 2/3's rear clip from a doner. It is mini tubbed and Frame ties and cage. It looks original but far from it.

I just want the original look . If you know what you are doing and have no intention of selling it with deception who cares. No one ever knew my car consisted of four cars. I didn't even paint it a mopar color. It is cobra orange everywhere. It was Bahama yellow from factory then / green /white/ and red parts from all the different cars.
So would that be OK in the mopar world?

There are so many cars in junk yards that have no titles but nice bodies. So what you are saying I should spot weld drill my car apart again and spend thousands at AMD. When I can just buy a nice shell and start from scratch. and fix mine. I strip them to the bare shell and build what I want . IT WAS A RACE CAR!! years back .

Kim if yo were to see this car in person you would never been able to tell. But I never claimed it to be original. But I even made sure it had the Phillips screw in the 340 exhaust hanger. I am 62 I have clipped and fixed these cars since 18 years of age.

There are cars on this site I know we clipped in the 70's when they were new. and the owners don't have a clue. It is the way it was and the insurance companies paid us to do them. There is a 440+6 red 70 cuda on E bodies I know that we used a body from a 318 car to fix it. AT THE DEALER. We also did a 68 R/T using a 500 and left the chrome on the quarters. I just used a 340 clip to fix mikes /6 car on this site. The End! no further discussion it is what it is.

Hello everyone. I visited Steve and the duster the other day and having seen this car come to life over the many years I've known Steve it's truly a tragedy.....The car is actually a lot worse than it looks in the photos ! Soooo glad he's OK and looking forward to him rebuilding it ! No one knows Duster's quite like Steve. Wishing him lots of luck

I agree if you are building and original car. Mine is a Street / Drag car.

In 1993 it was wrapped around a tree. Used a 68 dart front clip to fix it. It also had the complete side tore off in in 2001. I replace the 2/3's rear clip from a doner. It is mini tubbed and Frame ties and cage. It looks original but far from it.

I just want the original look . If you know what you are doing and have no intention of selling it with deception who cares. No one ever knew my car consisted of four cars. I didn't even paint it a mopar color. It is cobra orange everywhere. It was Bahama yellow from factory then / green /white/ and red parts from all the different cars.
So would that be OK in the mopar world?

There are so many cars in junk yards that have no titles but nice bodies. So what you are saying I should spot weld drill my car apart again and spend thousands at AMD. When I can just buy a nice shell and start from scratch. and fix mine. I strip them to the bare shell and build what I want . IT WAS A RACE CAR!! years back .

Kim if yo were to see this car in person you would never been able to tell. But I never claimed it to be original. But I even made sure it had the Phillips screw in the 340 exhaust hanger. I am 62 I have clipped and fixed these cars since 18 years of age.

There are cars on this site I know we clipped in the 70's when they were new. and the owners don't have a clue. It is the way it was and the insurance companies paid us to do them. There is a 440+6 red 70 cuda on E bodies I know that we used a body from a 318 car to fix it. AT THE DEALER. We also did a 68 R/T using a 500 and left the chrome on the quarters. I just used a 340 clip to fix mikes /6 car on this site. The End! no further discussion it is what it is.
got a 71 340 duster no rear motor or trans is a decent body to built 1000.00 firm ralley dash seats bench fold down arm rest its a body 71 true 340 car can get photos has fendar tag too

-
Back