SB water pump bolts

-

mbrooks573

Reaction score
Anyone have a diagram of the bolts for a 273 water pump? Just rebuilt the engine and the left water pump bolt holding the alternator lower bracket is leaking. Feels like it's a bit too short - i'm not getting any bite on the thread once it's all the way in. Need to know what length each of the bolts are. Thanks guys

BAM!

Small Block bolt sizes

oil pan
5/16"{18}x 3/4" amount needed 18
valve covers
1/4"{20}x3/4" amount needed 10

fuel pump
3/8"{16}x1 1/2" amount needed 2

thermostat housing
3/8"{16}x1" amount needed 2

intake manilofld
3/8"{16}x1 1/2" amount needed 12

water pump & timming cover as a combo-set
3/8"{16}x5" amount needed 4
3/8"{16}x3 3/4" amount needed 3
3/8"{16}x1" amount needed 3
3/8"{16}x2" amount needed 1

distibuter hold down
5/16{18}x 3/4" amount needed 1

Don't forget the washers to go with the bolts.
info provided by 340SIX

thanks Moparts!

when all else fails, 3/8X16 threaded rod, nuts and a hack saw.....

Besides the correct bolt you have got to put sealer on any bolt that goes in to a water jacket. This also includes the exhaust manifolds.

I've had good luck using that "Worlds best stop leak". that silver powder that comes in a tube at any parts store. Just put a little less than 1/4 of a tube in and let it run for about 45 minutes. It will seal the leaks around all the bolts that are leaking through to the water jacket.

Don't use Bar's leak, that stuff is too thick and can clog heater cores....

Some bolts go into water cavities, some into oil (crankcase), and a few are blind. Test with a stiff wire. I coated threads w/ gasket sealant, which is a purple alcohol-based liquid that stays soft. At Ace, I bought new stainless bolts for the shorter ones and cadmium plated for the long ones. I have seen enough broken-off, rusted bolts before. If you ever switch to Evan's coolant, many of your leaks with go away since it builds no pressure, and no more corrosion.

WTF is today national water pump day. This is the fourth thread on them today. Anyways great list.

That list has been on Moparts for years, happy to have and share.

-
Back