Scampin!!!!!!

-
Thanks Cliff I appreciate it bud!

Can anyone chime in and maybe give me some suggestions and input on the best way to route my battery cable from the passangers side of the trunk to the front of the car. Some say go inside the car but others say that isnt a good idea due to the possibility of a fire. Others say if you run it underneath the car then rocks and debris will come up underneath the car and beat up the protective rubber insulation of the cable and maybe short out? Just looking for some opinions and options to hopefully get the ball rolling again. I havent been able to do much and im starting to have withdrawals :(

-Joe

Can you run the cable under the car along side the brake lines?

Home DePot - 1/2 metal conduit and water tight terminations, conduit clamps fastened to frame.

Just an idea, and you could paint the conduit whatever color you wanted when done.

fab up a removable channel to run it in under the car to protect it

Home DePot - 1/2 metal conduit and water tight terminations, conduit clamps fastened to frame.

Just an idea, and you could paint the conduit whatever color you wanted when done.

Thanks gents,

I ended up getting some stuff from home depot, sprayed it black and ran the cable through it. I went from the battery on the passangers side to the back of the trunk, across the back end to the drivers side and through the floor. I then mounted it in with these heavy duty zip ties with self tappers along the out side of the frame rail. Gave plenty of slack since I havent put any ends on the cable yet to tidy it all up. Also chopped up the exhaust. I got rid of the ugly looking pipes coming out from underneath the trunk area. I have turn downs I will be welding on the exhaust that will dump just before the rear axle. Ill try to snap some photos even tho its boring pain in the butt work that nobody really notices in the long run anyway.

-Joe

Thanks gents,
Ill try to snap some photos even tho its boring pain in the butt work that nobody really notices in the long run anyway.
-Joe

That may be true, but you know it's there - that's what counts. Look forward to pics and the day I can start posting some of my own.

Thanks gents,

I ended up getting some stuff from home depot, sprayed it black and ran the cable through it. I went from the battery on the passangers side to the back of the trunk, across the back end to the drivers side and through the floor. I then mounted it in with these heavy duty zip ties with self tappers along the out side of the frame rail. Gave plenty of slack since I havent put any ends on the cable yet to tidy it all up. Also chopped up the exhaust. I got rid of the ugly looking pipes coming out from underneath the trunk area. I have turn downs I will be welding on the exhaust that will dump just before the rear axle. Ill try to snap some photos even tho its boring pain in the butt work that nobody really notices in the long run anyway.

-Joe

Joe can't wait to see how you did it.

so I got out to the car yesterday. I started to route the positive battery cable from the trunk up to the starter. Well one of the tubes on the header was in the way. So I figured ok Ill pull the header since I have ceramic coated hedman huslers Im putting on the scamp. Couldnt pull the header because it is TOO TIGHT with the power steering setup. which is why Im switching to manual steering. More clearance, better look, and I like the simple look with no pulleys, pumps and box's. So now im to the point where I plan to drop the tranny, pull the motor, shave the firewall, respray it all, Install the new headers, and then reinstall the motor and mess with the wiring harness. I also ran into another problem. I took the manual steering box and the coupler on my power steering column is too small and wont even clear the splines on the manual box. Any help? lol This really puts a damper on my hopes of possibly driving the car this year, but oh well i guess its getting done once, and getting done right so I have no more issues.

Maybe tomorrow I will get out there. I have to keep myself sane. Im waiting to speak to the inspector general of an agency I have interviewed with on monday morning. This is the last background check. After this they make me an offer, i start a career and make lots of money. I will be living very comfortably if this goes through!

Good luck on getting a Job. As for the rest of your post I have no idea.

well im amazed that i got under the scamp and did some work today. Everywhere I looked there was these decent size ugly looking spiders protecting their egg sacks underneath the car. I wish I could of got video of me under there with the broom and wrench squashing all the little guys. But I pulled the radiator, exhaust, driveshaft, then loosened up the crossmember and before I started to work at the tranny where it bolts to the driveshaft I was curious what FABO thought about me possible swinging this thing in one piece. Im only pulling it, replacing anything that might be causing my leaks. (there was oil and grease on everything) welding up all the unnecessary holes in the firewall, bodywork, reshoot it and stuff the motor/tranny back in with my ceramic headers.

So anyone who has done this a couple times. Whats best? I think keeping it as one unit is easier for me because theres less stuff for me to put back together and potentially screw it up. Also those bolts at the top of the tranny to the bellhousing do not like much fun at all getting to while this whole thing is underneath the car. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction and give me some pointers as to maybe what to watch out for or ways that you would prefer to do this kind of job.

Thanks,
Joe

Well I got the motor/tranny out. pictures speak for themselves. I will be "shaving" the firewall during the course of the next few weeks. Mock up manual steering and figure out some other option to making my column work. Need to sell some of my parts I dont need for money to help fund this stuff. I am disgusted how I drove this car for one season and the dirt and grime and oil and sludge that is everywhere. ive had a couple of leaks. and I dont know where there coming from since its EVERYWHERE. Ill clean it up and have to monitor it. Hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• phpjYwdaAAM.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 675
  • phpEQmovSAM.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 676
  • php5nwcvmAM.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 692
  • phpZnaXwMAM.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 683
  • php7svdZbAM.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 681
  • phpKfGItzAM.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 689
  • phpGxXMcrAM.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 682
  • php70DytsAM.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 680
Yes,moving along Joe!For your power steering column to manual box,Mancini,s sells an adapter(around $110).good luck finding your leaks and let us know how you make out with the job.:toothy7:

been getting some progress done. Its been pretty hot lately. Today was around 95. Anyway. I got all the welding pretty much done and started laying in some filler. Should look pretty trick when everything is finished up.

Attachments

• php2d0g8OPM.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 643
  • phpUx4qrVPM.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 635
well i managed to get out there for a little bit tonite. Everything seems to be in good shape, im just sanding it down once more, pulling the z-bar out and covering all of my brake lines, and taping the engine bay off before I prime it.
I came to the conclusion that I needed to relocate the parking brake cable that comes through the firewall. I just cant bring myself to do all of this work and then look at that ugly cable sticking through the firewall. It just jumps out at me! So I took care of it and that is the last hole I need to weld shut. Im hoping to make some leaps and bounds before the real cold weather gets here. Im hoping to have it painted and the drivetrain back in! I hope to be updating in the near future. But I will be working again!!! So the job comes first now and everything else second.

- Mopar or no Car!

well work has been crazy so i havent had much time to put into the scamp. 8 hour work days turn into 15 hour commutes!:banghead: But in todays economy thats about all the complaining I will be doing. I got some work done today. And my old man came home with some goodies from englishtown. He picked up a manual steering column I will use along with a 67 barracuda wiring harness. So now I have everything needed to put a barracuda dash into my scamp! It may not be for everybody but its what I want, and if any young gun went into a dealership back in the day and wanted something different. Then this is the way I feel they should of made em. Ill be happy with it and thats all that matters. But hopefully some of you guys will like it too.

Attachments

• phpcPftjWPM.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 569
  • phppBucmWPM.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 567
  • phppQjawUPM.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 560
Park brake cable will exit through the wheel well if get rid of the tee handle in favor of the foot pedal from a later year (76) parts car. Get all you need from parts car.

come on joe, hurry up and get it done, i want to see some built not bought decals, Ill race you to get our e bodys done hahaha

come on joe, hurry up and get it done, i want to see some built not bought decals, Ill race you to get our e bodys done hahaha

Lol the "built not bought decals" will be the last thing to go on the car! They are the icing on the cake bro. As for the e bodies.......your already way ahead of the game. so maybe if you take 3 months off when im ready to start and well call it an even race.

Possible shooting primer next sat, well see how my workweek goes and if i feel up to it. Im going to try and really push to have this bay painted and the motor stuffed back in before the winter hits hard again.

Nice progress. I like the idea of building it the way you wish the factory would have. Thats the same thing we're doing. Keep the pics and progress coming.

-
Back