Scarebird conversion

-

slantysix

SlantySix
Reaction score
Anyone used this conversion? Use factory 9" drum spindles,new ball joints, new caliper brackets (come in kit to mount discs to drum spindles), rotors drilled to small bolt pattern. Like the rallies trying to figure out how to keep them. (small bolt). Or just convert to big bolt discs and use police wheels or sell the small bolt rallies and get big bolt?

I have their kit on my 65 C body car,4200lbs and stops on a dime with 8 cents change,give me a call at 450 424 0445 in montreal,mrmopartech

I'm currently getting parts together for this. I did the rear conversion and it went together very well.

The conversion uses Chevy Celebrity calipers and rotors and require the hubs to be drilled for the 4.5 bolt pattern. So instead of drilling the hubs all you would need to do it redrill the rotors. So there shouldn't any issue with keeping the small bolt pattern.

I used Scarebird's 10" conversion kit on my 68 car. Celibrity calipers and rotors, with the rotor drilled to the 4 inch small mopar pattern, Cadallic brake hoses....some minor machining to the hub so the rotor would fit..
we cut the studs off flush and knocked them out...(their "swedged").
Make sure the bleeders are UP or you'll never be able to get a good pedal and it will drive you nuts till you switch sides with the calipers. 2 years now, stops straight, still happy. (14 in rallies fit)

Are there rear kits for the 8 3/4 A-body? Are there better lower ball joints or do you just put new old stock ones in? I heard their weak. I read that you can use the stock proportioning valves for the 9" drums and a new master cylinder for a disc car. Seems like a cheap upgrade and then I can spend more on a paint job and new carpet. Just seems like a nice conversion for a weekend driver.

Are there rear kits for the 8 3/4 A-body? Are there better lower ball joints or do you just put new old stock ones in? I heard their weak. I read that you can use the stock proportioning valves for the 9" drums and a new master cylinder for a disc car. Seems like a cheap upgrade and then I can spend more on a paint job and new carpet. Just seems like a nice conversion for a weekend driver.

the stock drum brake proportioning valve is a no-go. you need a disc brake master and disc br. prop. valve. easier yet, get the new master and toss the stock prop. valve and simply run line straight to front brakes from master and install adjustable prop. valve in rear line.

Yeah I figured that, the web site says you can run a new master with the poportioning valve? Seems kinda funny, I'll get a ajustable valve easy to work with. Still looking it to big bolt conversion, just looking at options. Thanks for your help.

-
Back