scarebird disc conversion w/sway bar?

-

midlife89

Reaction score
I've decided to go with the scarebird disc but was wondering if they will clear a sway bar ,that I plan on adding in the future.If they won't work can I flip the brackets side to side and run the calipers on the back side of rotor?

Hey Midlife89, I used the Scarebird setup on my 65 Valiant and later installed a swaybar with no issues. The swaybar made a noticable difference. Jerry

Most aftermarket sway bars attach at the lower shocks through bolt. They should clear most any brake assembly.
I might be wrong but I dont think the drum spindles can be switched side to side like disc brake spindles. Reason being the bolts atrtaching spindle to lower ball joints are right and left side specific.

thanks guys,I was hoping I could add a bar,the scarebird setup wad the most reasonable conversion.No old mopars in the boneyards round here anymore.

I might be wrong but I dont think the drum spindles (1965) can be switched side to side like disc brake spindles. Reason being the bolts atrtaching spindle to lower ball joints are right and left side specific.
With 10" drums, I think you can swap them left & right, since I couldn't figure them out on re-assembly. I did make a drawing, but couldn't figure out my notes 1 yr later. Staring at the few photos in the manual didn't help either. I do recall that one hole in the spindle is tapped, which I found out after beating the bolt out. I recall it was the front hole, but wasn't sure and nobody could tell me. 9" drum spindles (1964) look totally different. You couldn't mix them up L & R unless you can't find which side (fwd or aft) the riser is on.

I have the Scarebird front discs, powered by hydroboost in my '65 Barracuda. I love it. I also have a front sway bar installed that I bought from Dick's Firm Feel. They work happily together.

I can post photos if desired.

-marcus

I did a Scarebird conversion on my Duster (no power assist) and they stop great. No front bar so I can't chime in there.

I have the Scarebird front discs, powered by hydroboost in my '65 Barracuda. I love it. I also have a front sway bar installed that I bought from Dick's Firm Feel. They work happily together.

I can post photos if desired.

-marcus

Old thread, I know. But could you post a pic of your sway bar install with the scarebird disc conversion? When I did mine, the Addco sway bar no longer worked, as it hit the brake caliper on tight turns.

I have the scarebird conversion and sway bar no problem. I live in berlin center ohio if you want to see it.Those chevy brakes work grate

What brand of sway bar?

Brand may not be as much an issue as how it was installed.
I've seen bars that should have had the long end link kits and placed above the mount tab but someone used the short end link kits and placed them beneath the tabs. I'll assume the bar still functions the same but looking at the pics, the bar and end links look too close to the road for my liking.

The sway bar is a heavy aftermarket one mounted in the factory location on a 1967 barracuda. the scarbird brackets are 6 year old design with calipers mounted to the rear. they aren't even close to each other

Peeps,

I apologize for the lousy shots. My Barracuda is still in winter storage and I forgot to bring my good camera. But hopefully these lousy mobile phone pics should help visualize. My front sway bar is from Firm Feel and I have the front disc setup from Scarebird.

You can see that there's a mount that bolts up to the K-Frame and so the sway bar is quite some distance from the wheels or brake calipers. Loads of room there.

Attachments

• good1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 198
  • upfromunder.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 238
  • wheel.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 239
-
Back