School me on electric smokers

-

abodyfan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about an electric smoker vs. the other type. I'm thinking about getting one for next summer to keep at the lake. I'm looking for something easy to use.

well, i for one think they look gay

i used to work with a kid who would use them, and i couldnt look at him without seeing the caterpillar from alice in wonderland

(i quit smoking myself 13 years ago, but if your gonna kill yourself just smoke regular sigarettes for crying out loud)

the-caterpillar-alice-in-wonderland-25961684-800-400.jpg

I believe the OP is talkin about an electric food smoker. I JUST bought one a few days ago from Lowes. It is a Masterbuilt. It is double insulated just like a small refrigerator and insulated. So far, it works extremely well. It is easy to clean and operate. I like it because my old charcoal smoker never kept a consistent temperature. Onetime it would have a good fire, the next a crappy one. It was always different and I could never depend on it. This one is dead nuts on the money every time so far.

I have a cheap Char Broil that I use a lot. Planning on a couple of turkeys tomorrow. By using different wood chips you can really enjoy cooking outside. Cherry is one of my favorite woods for poultry. Gives a sweet Smokey taste. Hickory does well with a Boston butt.
Good luck, you will enjoy using your smoker. Picture is from last year.

WP_20151123_12_01_12_Pro.jpg

I'm too cheap to smoke cigarettes, and I didn't like smelling like an ash tray in the morning. Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm going to look this weekend.

Plug in a electric thermometer that will notify you when the meat is at the correct temperature
My wife says it is a man's crock pot.

Chicken wings are really good as well. As you can see, you can smoke multiple items at the same time

WP_20160207_15_56_05_Pro.jpg

I knew this old biker, nicknamed Hook cause he lost a hand in bike crash. Any this guy LOVED to fish. He went out and got an old refrigerator , stripped the plastic out of it. Broke the lock so it wouldnt close. Then used a hot plate and cast iron skillet for the chips. Cheap man's smoker.

I have one I use a lot. It is the kind you place damp wood chips in through a slot in the side. Probably could get a little more smoke flavor from the traditional setup, but here is what I think:
What do you need for good, flavorful smoked meats? The right temp and smoke! I get both of those with my smoker. Be sure to keep the wood chips going. You don't want pauses in the smoke.

-
Back