Screeching

-
Block plate is probably 14 or 16 gauge. Fairly heavy. I can scratch it with a screwdriver and it kind of has the same tone. Your pick up tube suggestion has me thinking, too. Pick up is a Milodon.

It's easier to hear by far, going down the road. But it is definitely there even in neutral in my garage. Just not as prevalent.

Had my buddy drive by me yesterday, coming up my hill in second gear and to me it was loud when he went by. Way louder than in car. I was surprised. And my pipes are pretty loud, too. Amazing that I can't pinpoint it.

If it was the block plate or a pickup-on-pan vibration, you might be able to tell by putting a layer of heavy window and door flashing tape on the surface as a damper. (Of course, that might also take the paint off when you pulled it back off!) Or maybe pull the block plate for a test.

I hear that screeching and shrieking every time my wife finds out I spent money on my car. But she always wants to drive it!

:eek:

How about checking the crank's endplay? If you have a block plate and there's an issue wearing the thrust it might be forcing the parts closer together and the flywheey could rub. Should be an easy check - dial indicator on the balancer and pry the crank forward and aft.

Should be an easy check - dial indicator on the balancer and pry the crank forward and aft.

I agree. Recently someone posted a video of the excessive crank motion affecting his crank trigger (I believe).

How about checking the crank's endplay? If you have a block plate and there's an issue wearing the thrust it might be forcing the parts closer together and the flywheey could rub. Should be an easy check - dial indicator on the balancer and pry the crank forward and aft.
First thing I checked. .006.

MOPAROFFICIAL an Moper are the winners! Took me awhile to get back on here but here's what I did.

Decided to bang around a little with a small body hammer and found that number 6 header tube had a strange ringing compared to the others.
Wedged 3 layers or collector gasket between the tubes shown in the pic and screeching is GONE!

Took it out for testing purposes and it was back.
Amazing how something like this can run you around, chasing your tail for months.

THANKS BOYS,
20170815_145245.jpg

Had same sound under my dart turned out to be a spring from the clutch popped out and was rubbing on metal. I changed out the clutch and springs fell out. New clutch no more noise and didn't seem to hurt anything. But what a pain.

Odd noises can make a person crazy. Have 3 i have never seen again to this day.
Rad fan would spool up on the highway,make a horrible noise.
Chrome trim missing clips and would vibrate against body.
Winter front on 98 ram would make grille whistle-so loud you couldnt stand it. I worked with chrysler to find a solution-foam tape between hood and grille cured it. Days to pinpoint it. It became a tsb.

Glad you found it. Squeaks and rattles just make me nuts.

I'm telling ya.......l.if I drove by you , you would SWEAR something very bad is scraping something. It did this crap for 2 seasons.

I knew it wasn't something catastrophic because I've been pounding on it the whole time.

Wifey is an MRI technologist and tried explaining to me about the electrons becoming excited and lining up and Yada Yada NOISE!

Glad it's done with.

I'm telling ya.......l.if I drove by you , you would SWEAR something very bad is scraping something. It did this crap for 2 seasons.

I knew it wasn't something catastrophic because I've been pounding on it the whole time.

Wifey is an MRI technologist and tried explaining to me about the electrons becoming excited and lining up and Yada Yada NOISE!

Glad it's done with.

I makes me happy when my electrons get excited and lined up.

Of course, at my age it doesn't seem to happen much any more.

-
Back