Sealed Beam Headlights

-
Interesting thread on another forum: It appears ordering part number 81110-60p70 from a Toyota dealership gets you two Japanese-made Koito 7" H4 headlamps plus wiring and a relay setup for around $20. It's sold as a conversion for older Land Cruisers. No idea on how their beam pattern compares.

I am in the group with, we don't need brighter mis aligned headlights. This is coming from a retired truck driver, I was blinded constantly sitting up there in the cab. Started having to wear sunglasses at night to cope. Also, everytime you change a headlamp bulb, that lamp needs to be readjusted. The real trouble is people just don't care, it's all about meeeee!

Interesting thread on another forum: It appears ordering part number 81110-60p70 from a Toyota dealership gets you two Japanese-made Koito 7" H4 headlamps plus wiring and a relay setup for around $20. It's sold as a conversion for older Land Cruisers. No idea on how their beam pattern compares.
I’ve got some of the Kioto just haven’t got them on the car yet. They looks nice .

IMG_8268.jpeg

The headlights in that Toyota kit are E codes. E6. I don't know what that means. Maybe @slantsixdan will give us an honest opinion.

E code is euro spec, and for us or our "type" of headlamps, it is basically the "pattern" and means it has a sharp cutoff line for the low beam. the number is the origin or approval code for the country.

I got mine from Dan and a relay kit, since I haven’t been able get ahold of crackedback for months.
He's over on moparts. I don't know why he's deserted us here.

and provided your E code headlamps are for LHD countries you are good

remember Japan is a RHD country like UK Australia india and NZ

so provided the kit for the land cruiser is US equipment all will be fine
if its NOS japanese or Australian. i believe the pattern in the lens will try to defeat your attempts to get a good cut off.

some lens patterns cover both.... but we are talking new new stuff...mainly

here are the E mark designations

just make sure the country code is LHD like the US

Dave

Last edited:
The headlights in that Toyota kit are E codes. E6.
Dan has a code list on his website. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Also updated aiming guidelines Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply :)

A summary of SAE vs. E-code posted by Dan Stern at Candlepower forums Nov 2009
In general:

ECE low beams are better at controlling glare to oncoming traffic (but not to same-direction traffic being overtaken on multilane roadways; this is going to change soon with a new test point)

SAE low beams are better at guaranteeing a minimally adequate seeing distance down the road on the right side; the ECE down-the-road seeing light minimum requirement really is way too low.

SAE low beams are better at controlling self-dazzle in bad weather.

ECE low beams are better at picking up pedestrians approaching from the left (this is changing with newer SAE beam distributions).

ECE high beams are better for seeing distance.

SAE high beams are better for beam width.

So which standard's better? Neither! Each has its strong and weak points.

Ah is slant 6 dan, one and the same as the lighting man, Daniel Stern.....?

If so

i am a bit slow...me

if not i am grasping at the wrong end of the stick again. :)

Dave

Interesting. I wonder if those are the same Kioto lamps that sell for much more. @slantsixdan - what do you think about these lamps?

That's a screamin' deal on a solid pair of lamps and harness. They're ECE (Europe/rest of the world), not DOT, so if that matters to you or the authorities where you live, that would be a dealbreaker. Otherwise, pounce and enjoy. Aim per VOL specs at aim page.

Last edited:
@MadScientistMat, thanks for the Toyota light tip! I ordered three sets, hoping this was for real. I'm happy to report it is, I just got back from the local dealer with my lights. With tax they were just a whisker over $20 per set - which I consider almost free. They look excellent, the wiring harness is heavy duty, and it even comes with a fistful of zip ties to keep the new wiring neat.

Now if only there was a similar 4-bulb kit for the 5-3/4" lights on my Coronet I'd be set for all my headlight upgrades. :thumbsup:

the landcruiser 80s 90s oil filter is also nice :) fits where a PH8A used to fit has anti drain back and just kinda feels quality in the hand. Also falls into the category of "at your Toyota dealer but there are no customers for it" think i paid £5 + tax last time

i take the attitude that land cruisers were off or semi offroad trucks so the filtration should be good, a filter for longevity rather than racing. same motor in some hilux the chosen chariot for those engaged in guerilla warfare in the dessert. ie a dusty place

Dave

That's a screamin' deal on a solid pair of lamps and harness. They're ECE (Europe/rest of the world), not DOT, so if that matters to you or the authorities where you live, that would be a dealbreaker. Otherwise, pounce and enjoy. Aim per VOL specs at aim page.
I saw in one ad where it said they ARE DOT approved, but I know better. LOL I'm tempted to get a kit "just because", even though I have Seebees (LOL) and relay harness in my truck and Valiant.

I am in the group with, we don't need brighter mis aligned headlights. This is coming from a retired truck driver, I was blinded constantly sitting up there in the cab. Started having to wear sunglasses at night to cope. Also, everytime you change a headlamp bulb, that lamp needs to be readjusted. The real trouble is people just don't care, it's all about meeeee!
We all are. Most of the problems are, 'retro-fit' HID/LED bulbs in standard capsules, & unqualified mooks failing to install a proper replacement correctly.
I've had to 'un-retrofit' many pre-owned vehicles I certified at the dealership, just an awful mess, light the wrong color or going everywhere or both.
Even there, lube techs & other service techs couldn't manage to get a freakin' bulb in straight, an H bulb w/a spring wire retainer???.....forget it...bulb pointed down & beam in the fookin' trees etc.. unbelievable..

I don't really give a flying chit what anybody thinks about "brighter headlights" but I know THIS. I KNOW DAMN WELL I want something better than the bull crap sealed beams these cars came with from the factory. If you don't like that, then tough titty. I actually AIM my lights correctly so "I" will not be part of the problem.

I saw in one ad where it said they ARE DOT approved, but I know better.

Two real good reasons to disbelieve that claim:

1. There's no such thing as "DOT approved" — it sounds all official-like, but it is a meaningless phrase. US and Canadian vehicle safety regs do not work on an approval basis; the DOT does not approve equipment. Whoever claims a car part is "DOT approved" is lying, ignorant, or both.

2. These lamps are not DOT-certified.

1. There's no such thing as "DOT approved" — it sounds all official-like, but it is a meaningless phrase. US and Canadian vehicle safety regs do not work on an approval basis; the DOT does not approve equipment. Whoever claims a car part is "DOT approved" is lying, ignorant, or both.

As always, thanks. Dan!

Aw don't be such a tease Dan.
I'm sure you've explained why at some piont in the past.
I'll give this a shot.

The markings on the lens are based on the manufacturer certifying that they meet the requirements those marking represent.
A responsible manufacturer will of course test to insure they comply with the standard claimed. When I worked at company making a safety product going into cars, we had an independent company do a number of the tests for us. But they got paid by us.
An irresponsible manufacturer can have whatever they want molded into the lens...

SAE sets industry standards.
The Federal Motor Vehicle Code sets requirements for new vehicles (and many states refer to the FMVSS 108 for vehicles operated on their roads).
Neither the SAE or the Feds conduct certification or approval.

I just ordered 2 of that Toyota part number. My parts guy was asking what he was ordering. I explained it and he said "no way for that price" I agreed. Get me 2. lol. My Spokane dealer is getting them from San Francisco. Shipping might be forty bucks. Kind of a crap shoot with those guys. Auto Nation.

Last edited:
Everybody wants to see at night but the aimed correctly adjustment is when 2 cars are coming straight at each other on a straight flat road.

-
Back