Sealed Power pistons

-

kork340

Reaction score
Anybody use the Sealed Power engine rebuild kit from Summit with cast pistons in a 318? Any problems or is it a decent kit?
Thanks.

The pistons in the kit are stock replacement types so if you are looking to build a performance engine they are not a good choice.

I would go to Mancini to get the kit. The prices are comparable and you can substitute parts. I purchased a complete kit for my 360 build and substituted KB pistons. As I recall it was like $60 addtional which was less than the difference between the individual prices for the two pistons.

I did the same kit on the first 318 i rebuilt. It's good for stock applications, but for performance it keeps the piston .080" to .100" in the hole. For 318s i like the KB-167 hypers for a mild performance build. They'll give you about .011" in the hole, so if you plan on running a head with say 69cc chambers and a .026" compressed gasket you'll still get about 9.40:1 compression.

Anyway, I did use the whole Sealed Power package and for what i was doing at the time i have nothing bad to say about it.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm doing a 68 318. According to my old Chilton it's 230 hp @ 4400, 340 lbs-ft @ 2400, and 9.2:1 comp. stock with a 2BBL. I'm not building a race motor, just somthing that'll have power for a driver. It'll never see the track. Just cruising. So the KB 167's are the way to go? .030 over or stock? I'm keeping the stock heads, unless I run across a set of 302's soon. I'll be running the Comp Cams XE268H cam and springs, and an Edelbrock LD4B with a Holley 600, 8 3/4 w/ 3.23's (also have a set of 3.55's I may switch to) and a 4spd.

Well all the CRs they list are for .030 motors. here's the specs they give you from Hughes Engines where i bought them from:
Pistons and Specs

the 167s are the second from the top, they'll sit .011 below deck on a stock deck block. if you are reusing the stock 318 heads, then you might want to got with the first one's on the page because if memory serves me correct the 318 heads from 68 have a really small chamber, you'll want to keep it under 10.5:1 for pump gas with cast iron heads.

I built a 318 with 340 small valve "j" heads, the 167 pistons, mopars .026" compressed gasket, and a stock bore and had a nice 9.5:1. That's with the heads chaved .010" and CCed at 69cc.

Cool on the 68 318. i didnt know they had that much torque stock! That's damn cool.

-
Back