Sealing Head Bolts..

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
is it necessary to seal the threads on the head bolts on a 383? I have a slight coolant leak and think that may be where its coming from.

no not the heads but the 4 outer exh studs/bolts, head bolts are blind holes.

Thats what I was afraid of. I guess the gasket didnt seal for some reason...

No, 30wt or other lube for torqing purposes only. What C/R and what head gaskets did you use?

What heads are you using , and what head gaskets ?

Stock 452 heads and Mr. Gasket steel shims with 2 coats of permatex copper paint on both sides. I fixed the pass side head and everything seems to be fine now. I'm ashamed to admit that I missed a little bit of the old gasket material stuck to the head next to the water jacket!

OMG...don't be...anyone who can admit a mistake is a real person 8)...my valve train noise was actually the freakin torque plate bolts hitting the freakin dust cover and tearing it apart...

OMG...don't be...anyone who can admit a mistake is a real person 8)...my valve train noise was actually the freakin torque plate bolts hitting the freakin dust cover and tearing it apart...

And we're not going to let Eric ever forget it. Have you got that "badboy" running yet Eric? :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

And we're not going to let Eric ever forget it. Have you got that "badboy" running yet Eric? :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:
That Freakin beast is going to be running Thursday night.....it better be....give this dude some respect please....8)

I'll be watching you thread Eric- I cant wait to hear that thing crack to life! Make sure you post a video for us!

-
Back