• Intake side only

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Use both

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
I’ve got the felpro 1214 valley pan that comes with 4 paper gaskets. This is my first big block, and my first time doing the valley pan.

Intake is a uncut DP4B, heads appear to be uncut, no obvious gaps when dry fitting the intake.

The PO used several types of RTV to get the job done, no paper gaskets but I wonder why so much RTV?

From my research it appears that people are divided on this subject. I don’t care how I do it, I just want to do it once and have it seal.

My plan as of now: tack both gaskets to the valley pan, one on the intake side and one on the head side, spray with permatex copper sealant. Black RTV in the corners, and on the china wall. Permatex thread sealant on the intake bolts.

What do you think?

I’ve got the felpro 1214 valley pan that comes with 4 paper gaskets. This is my first big block, and my first time doing the valley pan.

Intake is a uncut DP4B, heads appear to be uncut, no obvious gaps when dry fitting the intake.

The PO used several types of RTV to get the job done, no paper gaskets but I wonder why so much RTV?

From my research it appears that people are divided on this subject. I don’t care how I do it, I just want to do it once and have it seal.

My plan as of now: tack both gaskets to the valley pan, one on the intake side and one on the head side, spray with permatex copper sealant. Black RTV in the corners, and on the china wall. Permatex thread sealant on the intake bolts.

What do you think?
I'd spray both side of the paper gaskets with adhesive. BUT test fit it 1st because it could make your bolts not line up. I think the factory just used the stamped steel pan and sealant on the corners

I'd spray both side of the paper gaskets with adhesive. BUT test fit it 1st because it could make your bolts not line up. I think the factory just used the stamped steel pan and sealant on the corners
That’s what I am seeing too, I saw a thread where an old Chrysler tech said what you stated about just using the steel gasket. He said they would spray a sealant on the metal gasket near the intake ports, that’s what gave me the idea on the copper Permatex.

I’ll get it all cleaned up and do a dry fit with the paper gaskets and see how it looks.

I use Copper Coat spray on stamped steel gaskets.

I use Hylomar between the pan and cast iron head, paper with gasgacinch on aluminum intake side.
paper with gascacinch on both sides with aluminum heads and intake.

The paper is for use with aluminum components.

I use Hylomar between the pan and cast iron head, paper with gasgacinch on aluminum intake side.
paper with gascacinch on both sides with aluminum heads and intake.
That sounds good. I think I’ll go this route, subbing the hylomar for the copper spray I bought.

No paper gasket? I’ve got the copper coat,and plan to spray both sides after tacking the gaskets on.
I've never used paper gaskets with the steel pan with aluminum or cast iron. Different strokes for different folks.

On the 68 Coronet 383 4spd ( I miss that car) had some kind of wind short tunnel ram single plane with the 906 heads which were done by Don Garlits nephew Ed, just a steel Valley Pan. I don't even remember if I put sealant on her or not.. it's been 30 years damn it. And I really do not remember that spray copper stuff back then

I tried with the paper gaskets, none of my bolts lined up. Ended up just using the valley pan by itself and a little rtv in corners.

All the four barrel big blocks I ever worked on back in the day from the factory only had the bathtub steel shim gasket… However as old as all this stuff is now between blocks being decked and heads surfaced good luck

All the four barrel big blocks I ever worked on back in the day from the factory only had the bathtub steel shim gasket… However as old as all this stuff is now between blocks being decked and heads surfaced good luck
Ain’t that the truth, I’m going with one paper gasket on the intake side with copper spray on it and the head side. The bolt holes look good with the 1 gasket on a dry fit.

at one time I thought I read the paper was when you were reusing them as the original crush would be lost after the first use. Then the paper was to be used on Iron to AL to compensate for the different heat expansion. 351C 's used the same type of bathtub gasket and all I ran on those was Indian shellac. Never had a water leak and I used to pop that intake 2-3 times a year as that Erson Hi-Flow 2 cam ate pushrods.

I went with the 1 paper gasket on the intake side, gasgacinch to hold it to the valley pan. Sprayed the gasket and head side of the valley pan with copper spray.

A2D46373-E561-42FA-9C31-AF497D695F0C.jpeg

3B01C2E7-3586-4F21-940D-573EB153A8FD.jpeg

-
Back