Securement to trailer

-
So you don't think it's possible to break the belts in a tire from overtightened straps?
, No, I don't. I think a tire is subjected to much more stress, from chuckholes,
speed bumps, and just steering a 3500 lb car, than any lousy 2" strap could do to them.
I ran over something I never saw one night very late on the freeway. It caved in the front bumper of my 3/4 ton pickup, went under the car, was pickup by the left rear tire, tore off a fender flare (factory), and ruined the quarter panel.

The tire was fine.

So this is the configuration I have currently. Seems ok but kinda crushes the tire when tightened. How loose can they be? Perhaps 1 or 2 clicks before tire deformation? Should I really spend the $ to get axle straps to tie down at the suspension? Not meaning to sound dumb but crawling around under the car to hook up doesn't sound like much fun.

View attachment 1716127260

View attachment 1716127261
That's pretty much exactly the way the driver tied my road runner down to the roll back when I moved it to the restoration shop. It was on all four tires though. I kind of remember that he unhooked the winch after it was tied down.

It had no engine, trans, or emergency brake but it made the trip just fine and will come home the same way after it's painted.

I am not going to give you any advice, I am a retired truck driver, 37 yrs, 13 pulling flatbed and drop deck trailers. I can not understand most of the positions taken here. It's no wonder why people have issues.

I am not going to give you any advice, I am a retired truck driver, 37 yrs, 13 pulling flatbed and drop deck trailers. I can not understand most of the positions taken here. It's no wonder why people have issues.

speak up please. i see so many different opinions when this subject comes up i never know whats right or wrong.

I do all 4 tires.....just wasn't taking 4 pics when 2 will do
That's pretty much exactly the way the driver tied my road runner down to the roll back when I moved it to the restoration shop. It was on all four tires though. I kind of remember that he unhooked the winch after it was tied down.

It had no engine, trans, or emergency brake but it made the trip just fine and will come home the same way after it's painted.i do

I also run a bridle attached to the frame from my winch, and always set parking brake. Still might look into another idea based on the replies to my post.
I would not trust the winch as an anchor point, the clutch can slip and the cable will get slack.
I sometimes use just the winch, with a chain over the rear axle, but only when hauling like 5 miles or less.

Photos of my tie downs and how.
1: First photo is of the hooks that do not fit in the stake pockets or the rail. The outer end could be ground off a bit to let it pass through.
2: The second photo is the hook end that passes through and how to hook them so they can not fall out or off if they come loose.
3: The end to grind to get them to fit through.
4: These two photos are the tire tiedowns. You purchase a set of 4, two left and two right. You use one left and one right on each side of the vehicle. These came from Super Slings in Nisku, Alberta, Canada.
5: These four show how to feed the loose end into the ratchet so there is not a bunch to tie up. Start at photo .....453.
This way you will not need plastic tie straps to hold the loose ends.

Photos of my tie downs and how.
1: First photo is of the hooks that do not fit in the stake pockets or the rail. The outer end could be ground off a bit to let it pass through.
2: The second photo is the hook end that passes through and how to hook them so they can not fall out or off if they come loose.
3: The end to grind to get them to fit through.
4: These two photos are the tire tiedowns. You purchase a set of 4, two left and two right. You use one left and one right on each side of the vehicle. These came from Super Slings in Nisku, Alberta, Canada.
5: These four show how to feed the loose end into the ratchet so there is not a bunch to tie up. Start at photo .....453.
This way you will not need plastic tie straps to hold the loose ends.
BIG chains. Ask a real trucker/

This tiedown strap.is the type I mention in point 4 of post #36.

20230819_173545.jpg

Just an fyi....there are no photos in post #3
I realise that. I mentioned the how part but had no photos. I went out and took some and tried to attach them to post 38. Stoopid phone is slow so they do not seem to have loaded. I will try when in town as the cell internet service is better with wifi.
Where I am about 6 miles out of town we can have LTE with the up and down arrows and 4 bars and it still takes forever. My feeling is the big money corporate rectums slow service down to push people to get a new phone. I am dragging my heels on that as they are all 5G now, and the frequencies are harmful. There is a fellow that grew up in Soviet occupied Chzeckoslovakia, became a chemical engineer and did a lot of work with the soviet military. They started having the personnell working around communications equipement develop cancers and die within 6 months. Those frequencies they were using were virtually the same as the 5G frequencies. Talk to the providers sales girls and you get a bunch of road apples to pacify you. They are completely ignorant of the danger.

Sorry, @smlblk318, that does not look like a very safe way to secure your car to the trailer.
Not sure if you understand what you're looking at. Those are 2 inch 3333 lb. working load limit wheel straps secured to 2 1/2 in. x 6 in. fully welded stake pockets. One on each corner of the vehicle. I just didn't like the angle in which they attached to the trailer. I have since discovered that I have a lip on the front and rear of the trailer that provides a better strap angle and will be using those points from now on.

So this is the configuration I have currently. Seems ok but kinda crushes the tire when tightened. How loose can they be? Perhaps 1 or 2 clicks before tire deformation? Should I really spend the $ to get axle straps to tie down at the suspension? Not meaning to sound dumb but crawling around under the car to hook up doesn't sound like much fun.

View attachment 1716127260

View attachment 1716127261
Sorry but I would never use that method front or rear ever.

Sorry but I would never use that method front or rear ever.
To each his own.....how do you think thousands of cars and trucks get delivered to dealerships everyday? Yup that's right......wheel straps. Haven't seen the old style frame hooks on a transporter in a long time

You're absolutely correct it is my opinion. Of course you're the one who posed the question. I've only hauled my cuda on a car specific U haul trailer that's metal and the wheel straps maintain secure coverage. The setup that you displayed just looks like it would be prone to slipping off.

I do all 4 tires.....just wasn't taking 4 pics when 2 will do
I will try this another way by posting the photos and description individually.
This is the style strap you have. jpg ...126. Those hooks do not fit between the side of the trailer frame and the tiedown rails.
...210.jpg, To get them to fit, grind the outer end of the hook at a 45° angle. Should not take much and will not affect the strength. Then you can drop it between the frame and tiedown rail, come up and hang the hook.

20230819_173126.jpg

20230819_173210.jpg

To each his own.....how do you think thousands of cars and trucks get delivered to dealerships everyday? Yup that's right......wheel straps. Haven't seen the old style frame hooks on a transporter in a long time
Next. This is the flat style hook and how I hook them. ...140.jpg

20230819_173140.jpg

This is two of the set of four tire straps. You get two left hand and two right hand. Use one left hand and one right hand and one left hand on each side of the vehicle. I just drmopped them on my POS Dakota for illustration.
The top is the left front and lower is left rear. Ratchets to the bumper ends.

20230819_173317.jpg

20230819_173305.jpg

How to deal with the loose end of the strap. First stretch it out and fold over to slip under ratchet before tightening. Then give it one pull on the ratchet to trap it.

20230819_173453.jpg

20230819_173523.jpg

Last edited:
Finally the looped end is stuffed in and pulled in with the ratchet. If you still have a long length loose because your straps are long, tie it around the binding part.

20230819_173545.jpg

-
Back