Seized upper control arm cam bolts

-

Big Guy

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Does anyone have trick on how to remove seized cam bolts on the upper control arm of my 1970 Dart Swinger? The right side bolts are both seized into the bushings. Been pounding and using WD40 but not coming loose??

Yeah, this happens sometimes. I've only ever seen it on my parts cars, fortunately. Unfortunately, the only solution is an oxy-acytlene torch to heat both the head and opposite end red hot, then let it cool a while. It should break loose. If it's really bad, you'll have to cut through the bolt and bushing all at once. Either way, the rust likely has compromised the cam bolts. You'll need replacements.

heat the bolt head red hot then spray cold water on it until cold then winde it out . ever better if you can heat both ends .

Flame Wrench.

Torch.jpg

I could have used the blue tipped wrench on mine but didnt want to change messing up the tabs on the shock tower. The body saw is better than a regular sawall since the blades are much thinner.

Thank you for all of your responses. Looks like i will try with patience and penetrating oil first and cut if need be.
Be careful that you don't twist anything torquing the heck out of those bolts. Might be a good time to sacrifice and replace the cams and new off-set bushings. Good luck :thumbsup:

I usually hold the arm up and go through the side of the bushing with a pointed air chisel and put a couple of side shots into the inner sleeve . Then install a Flat punch attachment on a good air chisel and push the bolt out . Cheap chisels have more bounce then pressure. My snap-on chisel is by far much more forceful and smoother then my off brand from Harbor Freight.

-
Back