Selecting power valve method Holley 4160

-
An AFR gage isn't going to help.
AFR numbers aren't targets. They're reference points. Performance is how to determine if each change is toward or away from the goal.
Save your money and spend the time learning what each circuit does. Then you'll understand why the sequence in tuning is important and you'll not head off on the wild goose chase. Each of these changeable components has a purpose which can be tied to a specific result.

Learning to use an AFR gage is another learning curve. Going that far and a logger with rpm, and preferable also at least MAP or TPS will be more enlightning - but yes more learning.

You can save money and time by learning what the circuits do, and starting at the begining, tune one circuit at a time judging each change based on whether it improves power or efficiency.

An AFR gauge helps but is unnecessary as mattax said. Change one thing at a time and quantify the results. For primary jetting, lean it out two jet sizes at a time and go for a cruise. When it surges under cruise go back rich one jet size and go for a cruise again. If it surges go one more size rich and retest. When it stops surging in cruise, you leave the primary jetting alone.

Here's a step by step approach.
Gages and loggers are not neccessary for most tuning.
Tune for Best Performance.
The fuel mixtures need for different loads are described in this post.
Wideband

and touched on here
Large RPM and Vacuum drop when shifting from park to gear

I'd spend the money on some chassis dyno time or drag strip time once you have the basic stuff established. The chassis dyno will have logging and they will give you a copy if they are a decent operation. That wil show power or torque vs. rpm and AFR.

Now at the drag strip, logging AFR will show if the bleeds are in the correct range for the jets being used. Also the log may show problems from excessive 'emulsion' holes so common on the newer Holley type carbs. But thats getting deep into how a carb works - and hopefully not something so far off it needs to be discussed at this point.

Good Books on Carburetor Circuits:
Urich & Fisher, Holley Carburetors and Manifolds - any edition. Used, new. The best introductory explanation and drawings of the how the basic circuits work. The rest of the book is a lot about promoting their product but useful info in there too. Especially some of the performance tuning tips.

David Vizard Holley Carburetors has more detail. I'm not sure its a better book to begin with, and because he simplifies some things, its fine to learn from, but be careful about sweeping generalizations and specific recommendations...

FREE!
Any of Chrysler's Master Technician's Conference booklets about how carburetors work.

Carburetor Fundementals 1966 and another in 1970 (with some new analogies plus updates for Clean Air Package)

also available here in pdf and bigger video

Update so car is running great but when I’m looking at my vacuum gauge at Wot I have 1 inch of vacuum, then once the secondaries open I believe it hits 0 inches.

Does this mean I need my secondaries to come in a little quicker?

-
Back