Selling a car seems to be so difficult!!

-

74ddsport

Reaction score
I have sold MANY cars and trucks in the past and i cant get over how and why its so hard selling my 1974 dodge dart sport with number matching 360 V8 with original 72k miles. I see others buying JUNK or cars that don't run and need a FULL restoration for more or close to what i'm asking for.

What am i doing wrong or missing?? Please don't tell me to continue to reduce the selling price that im not looking to hear or tell me the economy is still in the gutter. Every time i go and purchase things and tell the seller the economy isnt the same so my offer is this i get laughed at.

Just want to see if someone can help point it out. Maybe the ad itself isnt stated right??

Thanks in advance for the help.

link to car.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=207874

Your ad looks good. As far as why it's not selling number one you haven't had it listed very long, and two and three I won't comment on as you don't want to hear it.

For some reason , nobody will pay the dollars for a Dart Sport , I have a 73 H code 340 auto 52000 miles , never been restored just painted about 8 years ago , i never even had this car wet , in the time i had it , factory air, tint .It is as nice or nicer than any duster or demon on here , with the exception of maybe Dave Moores 72 duster.Took it off Kijiji just to many wingnuts , looking to trade junk.

The biggest negative for me about your Dart is the Rot in the Rocker Panel shown in the picture. Many people will consider the car to need a fairly complete restoration. Not trying to put it down but that's probably at least part of the problem. It's a beautiful car though.

If you were to list it on Ebay with No reserve it would sell. You'd get tons of hits and you would get a pretty true number as to what someone is willing to pay for it.

Tough to sell a car it seems, have you tried Craigslist or Ebay? I have sold cars on both. You just need the right buyer. I have also heard it can be hard to sell a car here on FABO, not sure why, maybe a tough crowd at times? I would think an a-body car would sell here easy but places like eBay have a bigger audience, just my 2 cents. Just be patient, it will find a nice home :glasses7:

Your ad looks good. As far as why it's not selling number one you haven't had it listed very long, and two and three I won't comment on as you don't want to hear it.

Please tell me what two/three is! I dont take what others say to the heart trust me.

Thanks

The biggest negative for me about your Dart is the Rot in the Rocker Panel shown in the picture. Many people will consider the car to need a fairly complete restoration. Not trying to put it down but that's probably at least part of the problem. It's a beautiful car though.

The rust changed the game for me as well as the rear seat. It's a solid $4,000 car from the pictures to me, but pictures never tell a complete story. It's a good 20/20 car, looks great at 20 yards but at 20 feet things change for the worse. Maybe try parking it on a common road that high school kids drive down? Kids see it and tell the parents and then just maybe one of them will bite?

If you were to list it on Ebay with No reserve it would sell. You'd get tons of hits and you would get a pretty true number as to what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'm an honest guy so that is why i put that picture in the AD. What a pitty the car is not that bad.

Tough to sell a car it seems, have you tried Craigslist or Ebay? I have sold cars on both. You just need the right buyer. I have also heard it can be hard to sell a car here on FABO, not sure why, maybe a tough crowd at times? I would think an a-body car would sell here easy but places like eBay have a bigger audience, just my 2 cents. Just be patient, it will find a nice home :glasses7:

Had it on Ebay and craigslist and BOY did i get some winners. One guy wanted me to ship it overseas and wont pay until it gets there. Another guy wants to pay half and wants to drive it 12 plus hours back home. O well!!

The rust changed the game for me as well as the rear seat. It's a solid $4,000 car from the pictures to me, but pictures never tell a complete story. It's a good 20/20 car, looks great at 20 yards but at 20 feet things change for the worse. Maybe try parking it on a common road that high school kids drive down? Kids see it and tell the parents and then just maybe one of them will bite?

Well the MINOR rust you see im leaving that is up to the buyer. As for the interior i have (fingers crossed) front door panels and rear panels soon to be mailed to me. As soon as i get them i plan to use some of that vinyl paint and really clean it up. Maybe add a steering wheel with a horn as well.

Thanks for the info please keep them coming!!!

That car looks really nice, but people can have some concerns about rot.
The picture of the rocker can make someone wonder what it would look like if hit with a grinder. Also, no pics of trunk and quarters, someone may think you are trying to hide rust damage. The fiberglass "half quarters" could be cause for concern as well - too many mysteries that aren't addressed in your pics. The interior needs attention. My opinion, since you did ask, it's a $4500 car for the right buyer. The later model A-Bodies don't pull in the bucks earlier ones do.

My guess about FABO is most people on here already have an a-body. I agree a site like Craigslist or ebay and be patient. And a 'for-sale' sign on the car has worked for me, but it took a while.

Please tell me what two/three is! I dont take what others say to the heart trust me.

Thanks

The Dart Sports are a love em or hate em for some, a lot of people don't like the beak in the front. The price your asking is, IMO, a little high, not a bunch, but high, considering the work that will need to be done to it. It doesn't look bad by no means but there are some issues that a new owner is going to want to address.

Third, as much as you don't want to hear it, the economy isn't rebounding like it should and it really takes disposable income to make a purchase like this. People are just sitting on their cash right now. Maybe after November you might get some hits on it.

I'm an honest guy so that is why i put that picture in the AD. What a pitty the car is not that bad.
You did the right thing but some people just get scared of what they can't see. So they fear the worst in this case maybe more hidden rust.
It would help a ton just to take care of any thing like that Rocker. But then you are putting more $$ into the car. It's a vicious circle.

"Perception is Reality". If a buyer sees the car as rust free and mechanically 100% sound then they are way more willing to Spend more $$$.
Most buyers don't even want to do TLC any more.

I personally believe you need to be a Mechanic to own a 40 year old Mopar. Or have deep pockets to pay someone for the little stuff that can and will Pop up. There's always going to be stuff to fix and that's just the way it is.

So You need the car to be 100% Complete to command the high Dollars.

Plus the Economy.....:D

It's not selling because its priced way too high. Not sure where guys are coming from saying its a solid $4k area car. I think it's worth considerably less then that because of the all the work it needs. Too many cleaner cars out there in the area of $6500 to buy one needing so much work.

Body needs to be done. It has some half assed fiberglass quarters on it

Interior needs to be all redone. More then just dying the seat.

Engine bay is not body color. (Always makes me wonder what other short cuts were taken)

And it's a beak car. Not all that desireable. They have a following but not a big one.

Okay price is to high.......so i need to get rid of it for nothing. The price is not in stone. As a seller you need to leave room for negotiation. As for the interior it needs panels, a horn and a radio. Everything else i have or is there. The body looks okay for a one repaint. You want a show car what do you expect its going to come without spending money and A LOT of dedication. The car has low mileage runs and drives and is matching numbers i think its a good candidate for someone to work on or enjoy as is. Also its been in a heated garage for about 26 years and not in someone back barn with animals.

I guess i see the possibilities because i own the car instead of what you can see in an AD. I told a few people that have called come over and lets go for a ride and then you can tell me what you think. Right off the bat this is there response " always wanted one but now that i don't have a job its hard but i have two thousand i can offer", COME ON!!

Well we will just need to see what happens.

Only you know how much $$ you are still willing to invest to help it sell. It's hard to decide where the money is best spent. I personally would not sell it for less than $4500. To me it's worth keeping and enjoying. Yes there are great deals out there if you watch and wait and wait and watch. Trust me there are people watching your car right now! They're waiting for you to get desperate and sell it for way less than it's really worth.

Your just coming up on 2 weeks of having it listed . Selling a classic car is not an overnight deal , it can take months....or longer . You have to remember that not every interested party has the capacity or knowledge to do there own repairs . Your family has had it for a while so there is obvious sentimental value & that ends up reflecting in the price . Sure its a neat car and it has low mileage but it needs a good amount of work to make it compete in the price range you have it in .
if your looking to make some $$ dont count on flipping a car car quick unless you get it for next to nothing and do minimal work to it and have a broad market range for it . Keep the car and fix it right . If you need the cash pickup some side work or another job and enjoy your car.

Appearance is a large part of it. Detail matters. Would you ( as the proud new owner ) park it in a car show or cruise-in today ?

Repainted 17 years ago and still haven't reinstalled the little rubber bumpers in the doors ? That probably seems like a nit-pick but if I noticed it, others do too.
Leaves the looker wondering what other plugs, screws, etc.., were left out.

If I was trying to sell it.. I would get rid of the gauges, install a radio, and complete the interior.
That big yellow coil would have to go !
Most will overlook a rust spot on a rocker if its the 1 little flaw but not when its 1 of several. Just my opinion. Good luck

Thanks every one on the GREAT tips. I am still on the look out for the interior panels and plan to clean up the interior. At that time the spare gauges are coming out. I guess we can say maybe a winter project.

thanks ALL!!!

I'm not so sure it's the price...seems right and you are nego. Keep trying a buyer will come along.

If it's an original 360 car, where is a picture of the fender tag and vin (with last 3 digits covered up). Or a picture of the buildsheet. Is it coded on the fender tag for red FE5 color with original white buckets?

The picture under the door needs to be taken with a flash. Pics of car need to be taken in direct sunlight without shadows. Like take the car out to an open space at noon and take pictures.

Need picture of bottom of inside quarter panels from under car. Need pic of trunk floor with mat out and spare tire out.

Missing door panels and even hole for radio is a big visual turn off. Even black door panels and an am radio would be helpful.

What you see in the ad is not everything. Yes i have the fender tag in a folder with the title and some other paper work. The car is an original red with white interior and white strip. My brother said it had the word dodge on the lower part of the quarters when he bought it 26 years ago. The guy who screwed it up was the famous body shop guy who made an agreement to do the work out of his house on the side while my brother do some cabinetry work. My brother did his part but at the end he basically got screwed. It went into the garage and sat there because he was so upset of the end results. He could have left it with the minor rust it had and drove it like that. Put it this way the car had door panels when we gave it to the guy and when we got it back it didn't. Anyway cant bring up the past its done now and as my dad use to say its water under the bridge. The fiber glass quarters should be removed and the minor rust should be fixed. I will add more to the listing as i think about it. I have tons of pictures that we have hanging in the garage from YEARS ago. My brothers were about 50 or more pounds lighter and with hair hahahaha. Thanks all.

If it's an original 360 car, where is a picture of the fender tag and vin (with last 3 digits covered up). Or a picture of the buildsheet. Is it coded on the fender tag for red FE5 color with original white buckets?

The picture under the door needs to be taken with a flash. Pics of car need to be taken in direct sunlight without shadows. Like take the car out to an open space at noon and take pictures.

Need picture of bottom of inside quarter panels from under car. Need pic of trunk floor with mat out and spare tire out.

Missing door panels and even hole for radio is a big visual turn off. Even black door panels and an am radio would be helpful.

As a owner of a beak car, Unfortunately I see this a lot:

Beak car guy wants to see a high amount for his ride that isn't pristine, it doesn't happen, he gets pissed. Then he asks for advice why not, and when people give it to him, he gets defensive when the tough love comes out. Wtf?

Get over yourself.

It all comes down to realistic expectations: people have it rough now a days and the last thing on their mind, minus a few is buying a sports car. Especially a old box that has rust, where else is it rotting? Experience tells me quite a few hidden places. Directly behind that door pillar, and the latch reinforcement, and the quarters to rocker pinch weld comes to mind right off the bat. Look at my build thread. Great example.

Because you have emotional investment in this car it makes it worse, and, owning this car that long you didn't think to sell it when things were better with the economy? Damn.

Lastly, Take this winter to fix some issues, kill the rust at least, spray some rust converter or *something* it grows like a garden. And is expensive to fix if you have someone else do the work.

It is what it is, you'll get glad in the same boat you got mad in.

Good luck.

I have no idea to take your response negative or positive so i will take it neither way.

Whats up with your comment "Get over yourself" are you serious?

Seriously you posted on someones thread a useless bunch of words. I know what i have, its a CAR that some people like and others don't. If it sells then it sells if not it goes back in the garage. No loss and no gain.

I'm on a few different car forums and i know starting a thread is not a cry for help but to let the others know you need some help with the matter at hand and that's what I was looking for. Read the other comments not one was like yours.

No biggie, THANK YOU!

As a owner of a beak car, Unfortunately I see this a lot:

Beak car guy wants to see a high amount for his ride that isn't pristine, it doesn't happen, he gets pissed. Then he asks for advice why not, and when people give it to him, he gets defensive when the hard truth comes out. Wtf?

Get over yourself.

It all comes down to realistic expectations: people have it rough now a days and the last thing on their mind, minus a few is buying a sports car. Especially a old box that has rust, where else is it rotting? Experience tells me quite a few hidden places. Directly behind that door pillar, and the latch reinforcement comes to mind right off the bat. Look at my build thread. Great example.

Because you have emotional investment in this car it makes it worse, and, owning this car that long you didn't think to sell it when things were better with the economy? Damn.

Lastly, Take this winter to fix some issues, kill the rust at least, spray some rust converter or *something* it grows like a garden. And is expensive to fix if you have someone else do the work.

It is what it is, you'll get glad in the same boat you got mad in.

Good luck.

-
Back