Serpentine pulleys

-

gumper

Reaction score
Having a rough time keeping my alternator V-belt on while running high rpm. Would like to switch to a serpentine style setup, but just need the crank and alternator pulleys. It’s an LA small block with the standard old style finned alternator. Will the magnum engine pulleys fit? I see those are inexpensive, and easy to obtain. If not what are my other options? I don’t need fancy polished aluminum pulleys that are $200.

You need a smaller crank pulley, I have always run the Moroso one.
As it is there is about 3:1 ratio so at 6500 RPM your alt is spinning 19500 RPM !

You could fashion an idler pulley to ride near the alt to keep the belt on.

But first what is the underlying reason the pulley comes off, not tight enough, belt not the correct size for the v groove, too much load on the belt causing it to stretch, pulley alignment, speed / pulley ratio as @brian6pac said, I have seen large diameter alt pulleys like 4" dia which slows the alt without changing the water pump speed

You could fashion an idler pulley to ride near the alt to keep the belt on.

But first what is the underlying reason the pulley comes off, not tight enough, belt not the correct size for the v groove, too much load on the belt causing it to stretch, pulley alignment, speed / pulley ratio as @brian6pac said, I have seen large diameter alt pulleys like 4" dia which slows the alt without changing the water pump speed
I have an electric water pump, so there no concern there. It’s aligned, and the belt is the right size. The biggest issue is it flies off then likes to take my fuel pump belt with it. That causes much agony on the track. I’m still using the factory pulleys. At 6800 rpm they might be the problem.

I have an electric water pump, so there no concern there. It’s aligned, and the belt is the right size. The biggest issue is it flies off then likes to take my fuel pump belt with it. That causes much agony on the track. I’m still using the factory pulleys. At 6800 rpm they might be the problem.

Have u straight edged the pulleys in question ? Most belt throwing problems are just that , if the belt is the right size .

Have u straight edged the pulleys in question ? Most belt throwing problems are just that , if the belt is the right size .
I never put a straight edge on them since I’ve been using the factory pulleys. They look to be lined up just fine.

-
Back