Serpentine System

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I can put take the serpentine system off of my Dakota (3.9) will this transfer over to my LA 318?

Yes and no. Yes in that you can IF you use the magnum timing cover, water pump, balancer, AND a 1978-up intake manifold with the offset t-stat to clear the alternator/ac bracket. Also, keep in mind that you will have to run an electric fuel pump because there is no provision for a fuel pump in the magnum timing cover, and thus will also have to remove the fuel pump eccentric from the end of the camshaft and get creative on keeping the cam gear tight thru various size washers, or simply cut down an old eccentric.

Having done a full serpentine magnum swap into a challenger, its much easier to just start with a complete magnum engine, or simply open your wallet WIDE and give March a call. For me, having to run a noisy *** electric fuel pump is enough reason to not do the magnum serpentine setup ever again.

Yes and no. Yes in that you can IF you use the magnum timing cover, water pump, balancer, AND a 1978-up intake manifold with the offset t-stat to clear the alternator/ac bracket. Also, keep in mind that you will have to run an electric fuel pump because there is no provision for a fuel pump in the magnum timing cover, and thus will also have to remove the fuel pump eccentric from the end of the camshaft and get creative on keeping the cam gear tight thru various size washers, or simply cut down an old eccentric.

Having done a full serpentine magnum swap into a challenger, its much easier to just start with a complete magnum engine, or simply open your wallet WIDE and give March a call. For me, having to run a noisy *** electric fuel pump is enough reason to not do the magnum serpentine setup ever again.

I wish I could do a magnum engine but right now it's not feasible.

-
Back