Setup for 273

-
My E4 is advanced 4° and runs through the stock type HP single exhaust and a resonator. Jim's 67 I believe was installed straight up and runs through dual exhaust with no H pipe. His is also a 2 barrel and sounds a bit rougher than mine probably because of the cam timing.

okay thank you all very much :usflag: I Will order the cam and report. cheers and regards from germany

cam arrived this week so I installed it yesterday. also new timing chain.

I organiced a Set of 318 heads because
my old ones weren't the Same year with Different bolts at the intake Manifold.

the rockers are looking much more robuster. also hard valve Seats.

the Problem is more Volume so i will lose
compession.

how much do I have to mile down the heads ? read that .005 reduce the chamber 1 cc ?

decided to use solid lifters for the cam but how do i Set the valve lash now ? adj. rods?
regards

There is nothing wrong with the stock 273 adjustable rockers and they should bolt onto your 318 heads.

You are correct about the additional chamber volume lowering your compression. I recommend you find a way to CC the chambers. Every 273 head I ever cc'ed had significantly more chamber volume than spec. 318's may be the same.

Is there any problem with valve interference with the cylinder wall when using 318 heads on a smaller bore 273?

interesting Point but there are heads like the 2843675 ones which were on Both Engines 273 and 418. the bore diameter is only about 7mm more.also the valve diameterdiameter is the Same. only 340 up has bigger ones.

there Are no adj Rockets on my 273 heads because someone Changed to hydraulic lifters.

with the new cam i want to Chance back to solid lifters

interesting Point but there are heads like the 2843675 ones which were on Both Engines 273 and 418. the bore diameter is only about 7mm more.also the valve diameterdiameter is the Same. only 340 up has bigger ones.

there Are no adj Rockets on my 273 heads because someone Changed to hydraulic lifters.

with the new cam i want to Chance back to solid lifters

You can use an adjustable pushrod but those are a giant pian in the ***. Plus, the stamped steel stock rockers don't like to be beat on with valve lash. So, you need to find a set of adjustable 273 rocker arms, and a set of ball and cup pushrods.

thats Sounds so easy but Its not that easy to find a Set of heads here in Germany.
also i Need the commando heads with harder valve Springs.
for this Reason i bought the easier aviable 318 heads.

if I find no heads or rocker Arms i will use hydraulic lifters and just Mill down.

Are there any issues with the solid e4 cam and hydraulic lifters ? cheers

Last edited:
thats Sounds so easy but Its not that easy to find a Set of heads here in Germany.
also i Need the commando heads with harder valve Springs.
for this Reason i bought the easier aviable 318 heads.

if I find no heads or rocker cams i will use hydraulic lifters and just mile down.

Are there any issues with the solid e4 cam and hydraulic lifters ? cheers
No you shouldn't run a solid lifter cam with hydraulic lifters.

ok thank your all so far. my engine Projekt escalated quickly :rofl:

Last edited:
Hydraulic cams and lifters require different length pushrods than the original solid lifter pushrods. Let me put it this way, this is what you need: Solid lifter cam (E-4), solid lifters, solid lifter pushrods with the ball/cup ends in the correct length, and adjustable rocker arms. As far as pushrods, they need to be the correct length and the stock ones may or may not work. The replacement solid lifters may be a bit different dimension as far as where the pushrod seat is located. You may have to get a pushrod length checker and order the correct pushrods to work. The later model heads you are using were for hydraulic lifters. To use their rocker arms you would need the hydraulic pushrods, hydraulic lifters, and a hydraulic cam. You should never mix hydraulic cam valve train with solid lifter drive train. I don't even recommend using the solid lifter adjustable rocker arms on hydraulic cams.

Last edited:
:wtf:thank You 65val for the link. The adjustable Rockers Are on the way to their new destination Germany :thumbsup:

Meassured the cc on all 4 heads today and proved what I suspekted.
First the cc is more than Chrysler told us back then.
Stock 65 Head 60cc instead of 57 and
the 66 Head 65cc instead of 60.
the cc was Different at the mounted heads :wtf: Who installed the Later Head without checking the cc.

Hope there is no damage at the Engine.

to rise up my compession I want to Mill down the 318 heads i bought

They have 66cc and I want to have at least the 60 from the stock ones After i heared They perform best.

Formula is 0,005 for 1cc correct ?

and if more than 0,03 You also have to Mill down the intake side? can anybody confir this?

regards Julian

Just mill them .040 and the intake side .038. The correct formula is for every .010 from the block side, mill .0095 from the intake side. Do you have to mill the intake side? It may fit, not worth saving a little money for me, I always do both. Published cc volume is Minimum NHRA specifications. On Chrysler heads it typically takes .040 of an inch to get there.

Just mill them .040 and the intake side .038. The correct formula is for every .010 from the block side, mill .0095 from the intake side. Do you have to mill the intake side? It may fit, not worth saving a little money for me, I always do both. Published cc volume is Minimum NHRA specifications. On Chrysler heads it typically takes .040 of an inch to get there.
Well said. After you do that be carefull with the pushrod length and the rocker arm tip to valve stem contact and sweep. You may need shorter pushrods and or rocker shaft shims.

i've read that You Need to Mill the intake, too if You Mill the Head more than 0.03

what a Little differenze. 0.010 and 0.0095:lol: why not Both the Same. guess the gaskets will make it.

regards

Last edited:
i've read that You Need to Mill the intake, too if You Mill the Head more than 0.03

what a Little differenze. 0.10 and 0.095:lol: why not Both the Same. guess the gaskets will make it.

regards
True also.

Adjustable rockers on a hydro makes perfect sense: Mill the head and you can still use the same pushrods (to an extent). More accurate ratio@~1.5. The stamped are all over the place. Adjustables have more accurate geometry as you can shim them to cover the valve tips. The Isky E-4 is a solid lifter cam. The lobe profile is not meant for a hydro lifter! In the worst case the hydros will "pump" and youll start lifting the valve at a very early event as the solid would take that duration to close its lash. Also hydraulic profiles do not have these ramps, they are straight lift and seat with no variation around the back side of the cam so the lifter is static on the back side. Mechanicals have much different base profiles. Thats why Mopar has that handy diagram on where to adjust lash as its very different on various points of the base circle. E-4 is an old grind made for "10.5:1" pistons. Builders can do much better just by dropping a cam maker a call and have them custom make you a grind for your static compression ratio and induction/exhaust setup. As for heads: You can use modern "302" casting swirl port heads off a pre-magnum 318. They are closed port like the early 273 heads and have hard seats as well as being very easy to find, just check for cracks between seats.

dropped the heads at the machine shop today. Removed the valves yesterday only a few need a little new grind in but the valve seals were broken. New ones are in the engine seals set:)

will update soon. Also some pics :thankyou: Regards from germany :usflag:
img_1530-jpeg.1715028036.jpg

Last edited:
yes, good eyes!
its a fun rally for Classic Cars where You have to solve tasks and Challenges or collect items.
it's Very fun and Fancy like Diving in the Open air pool for the roadbooks!
its more for the petrolheads and Daily driver guys. Love the People where You can talk to at the campfire because You they have the Same Interest and work on Their Cars, too. Not the normal Classic car drivers who Are celebating themselve at the most Events.
4 Place this Time because we forgot our hats at one challenge :(
cheers

-
Back