several 426 Hemi's burried

-
The sheet metal will be toast. Cast iron and steel however, will be salvageable. That is, if it's true.

There use to be a wives tale that burying a block was a good way to 'season' it. Quite a few racers did it back in the day apparently. Not sure how much truth there was to it. I'll let the old guys chime in on that one.

It's true, and I was thinking back on that the other day and realized I didn't remember how long they left them, but a year sounded familiar.
These days they have much faster ways of relieving casting stress, like peening.

I'd metal detect and if there is a solid reading ... get digging. It's like a cool scavenger hunt. If you strike oil on one, I'd go rent a Bobcat and unearth the entire area.

OK ill go see who owns the property now and see what chance there might be to get rights to go digging. Might need someone with an excavator and we can split the cost and the treasure. Im in upstate SC

I personally know guys that have dug up large Prairie tractors from the turn of the century that have been buried in the ground for 50 to 70 years and we're very easily restored. Sometimes the ground seals them up and repels moisture, if it is a heavy non-organic soil. Get the backhoe out and start digging. Sound like fun to me.

check it out, but years ago a friend said there is a bunch of old hemi engines near the railroad tracks-old flatheads.

You're gonna end up with a bunch windowed Pontiac motors and an epa fine.

You never know.....last night I was talking to I guy who has a 70 Cuda he recently bought, I asked him how he found it and he said some kid at work told him his cousin had one out at the farm, got the guys phone number off the kid and a week later he was the owner of a 70 Cuda.

If it's out in the sticks somewhere, it would be easier to do. If it's where one of those big ol junkyards used to be on White Horse Rd. , I'd forget it! There would be too many nosey people asking what you're doing if it's in a pretty visible spot.

The folks who burried this car back in 1957 at least tried to take a few steps to ensure the car wouldn't be a pile of rust 50 years later.

buried 1957 Plymouth time capsule unveiling, 2007

It didn't quite work out as well as they hoped. A few engine blocks tossed in the ground 40 years ago with no thought on preservation won't fare much better than the Belvedere.

The folks who burried this car back in 1957 at least tried to take a few steps to ensure the car wouldn't be a pile of rust 50 years later.

It didn't quite work out as well as they hoped. A few engine blocks tossed in the ground 40 years ago with no thought on preservation won't fare much better than the Belvedere.

Yes but the Plymouth was put in a cement vault with no drainage, for any water they may have gotten in. In the case of the engine blocks, if the ground is not all clay and has good drainage, then you never know.

Where they screwed up was not pressurizing the vault. There is no way they were going to seal that vault good enough that the elements were not going to get to the contents.

A friend lived in my town when I was a teenager and told me how he used to get rid of blown engines by burying them next to the driveway. He had moved years before but I used to go by the house he lived in all the time. The family that had bought it from his landlord decided they wanted to put a basketball hoop in next to the driveway. As I recall, by the time they were done, they had 4 blocks sitting on the driveway.

Here in Kentucky, especially central Ky is cave and sinkhole heaven, some of you may remember the sinkhole inside he corvette museum that swallowed up a few vettes. It's not unusual here for cars to get shoved into a sinkhole and then covered over. A few years ago at a family function one of my wife's cousins told me about a 340 Duster they had shoved into a sinkhole when it stopped running. Just the Kentucky way of getting rid of junk.

If it's out in the sticks somewhere, it would be easier to do. If it's where one of those big ol junkyards used to be on White Horse Rd. , I'd forget it! There would be too many nosey people asking what you're doing if it's in a pretty visible spot.
Nope ,Old home place

there are many many factors at play. No different than a covered "barn find" being a rusted pile of memories, or a clean survivor that sat out in an open lot.

If you have the means, rent a high end metal detector and a little micro excavator. The worst that can happen is you have a story about the Hemi's that got away

Here in Kentucky, especially central Ky is cave and sinkhole heaven, some of you may remember the sinkhole inside he corvette museum that swallowed up a few vettes. It's not unusual here for cars to get shoved into a sinkhole and then covered over. A few years ago at a family function one of my wife's cousins told me about a 340 Duster they had shoved into a sinkhole when it stopped running. Just the Kentucky way of getting rid of junk.

I grew up in KY. in the gulley, ravine, ditch or whatever you call it behind my grandmother's house they buried military equipment. In late 40s early 50s my uncles were teenagers and young adults. They tell the story of a bulldozer cut a path and pushed/drove several jeeps, equipment and trucks in the gulley. They buried all of it within a few hours. I never could find any further information. I'll have to ask again since the uncles are in their 80s now.

Where's this??? Lol

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was told along time ago buy an old Mopar engine builder , that letting them set out in the weather, mud etc was good for them . It let them season. I know more then one engine he pulled out of the weeds and rebuilt. Chances are if those engines were thrown or pushed in a hole they are stacked on each other. I'd go for it.

-
Back