Severe Vibration Under Braking

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
I have recently had some issue with the suspension and brakes on the front of my 73 Duster. Sometimes, not all of the time, and usually under light to moderate braking, the left front of the car will start bouncing up and down violently. I can clearly see the left front a little higher off the ground on the left side compared to the right when this happens. When this doesn't occur, I still have a vibration, albeit, much reduced in violence under hard braking. Also, the car does pull to the right when braking. I have replaced shocks and the left side rotor is good and the right has been replaced. It was doing this before I put the shocks on. The problem is getting worse lately. Its so violent that the left front is actually bouncing until the vehicle comes to a stop. During a tire change, a service tech noticed that the right side caliper was near shot(this was several months ago). I can see this as the cause of the pull to the right under braking, but for the bouncing and shaking on the left side too? Unless, it is locking up the right side front brake completely, then Im not sure what it could be. Any help at getting this solved would be greatly appreciated.

-Justin

I would try fixing one component at a time, You know you have issues with the calipers so get those replaced or rebuilt first and get the brakes working correctly. Once that's done it will be easier to pinpoint the issue once the brakes are out of the picture. (I'm betting it's the brakes though)I'm going through the same thing on a 99 doge ram at the moment, Just changed the pads and noticed alot of wear on one side and not the other, I believe one of the calipers has frozen up and needs rebuilt. Same scenario though, front pulling to one side under hard braking and a very pronounced vibration. I am just going to see if I can find a rebuild kit for the calipers as long as there is no damage to the calipers. let us know what the fix is.

I agree with Dartman about going across both brakes with a fine toothed comb as a start. Also check the left side hub bearings to make sure they ain't coming apart and ball joints and steering linkage for looseness.

Terry

Also, check the frame rails on both sides, from where the shock mount is all the way back.
I had a '72 Charger that got a bad shake after I went through the traps and was trying to slow down. All the brake components were new. I didn't find the soft frame rail until the next spring when I took the rubber matting off the inner fenderwell. To my surprise the frame was very soft under the mat. I would never have found it if I didn't pull it off. As the rest of it loooked fine, and the undercoating was all intact. Somebody was looking after me that day of racing.

Did you check to see if your rotors are warped? Even new ones can be poorly finished.
Daryl

-
Back