She's Killin Me Here ... Could Use Some Tips on Living With the Elderly

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
CC I am not being harsh,nor would you be giving up on her in no means,I have a Daughter that is a certified PSW and she has seen first hand how the elderly come to life when they are with out hers who share the same feelings.She says the key is also family have still play a big role in there lives and not be forgotten,she says when that happens they go down hill fast. Good luck I feel for you.PS Cindy says keep your chin up your doing a great job.Merry Christmas.

We've got 5 1/2 acres here and considered putting a mobile home or a little house on the property already. It's going to be more feasible, faster and more economical to finish enclosing our big back porch and making it into a sort-of apartment for her. We'd already bought the windows and some of the building materials (it was going to be my billiards room) and spoke with a contractor just after Thanksgiving. It seems the estate B.S. has to be finished up first before she can spend any money though so it'll still be a few months probably before she's in her own spot.

Hang in there! It ain't easy.

If you need anything, I'm here to help with what I can. (Even if you have to call and scream at me to blow off some steam).

My kid's great aunt used to live with my outlaws (ex-inlaws) and had some of the "recall" where she could remember things from the 40's and 50's like it was just yesterday, and sometimes thought that she was still back in those days. I think it is because that is when they grew up and have good memories that they cherish and want to last forever. Sorta like living in their "glory days".

It's getting a little better around here the last few weeks and we're getting our routines squared away. No more middle-of-the-night incidents or setting off the Medical Alert in response to imagined intruders or anything, but ...

Last night I finished up in the shop pretty late (after 11). I gathered my stuff and headed to the house. A couple minutes later I discovered they'd both gone to bed ... and she locked all three doors ... and my keys were in the house. Thankfully I was dressed warm enough to endure a few hours stretched out on my work bench [LMAO -- wish I had a pic of that to share]. Billy woke up at some point around 3, realized I wasn't in the house and came out and rescued me.

Life is so interesting don't cha think??? :-D

It's getting a little better around here the last few weeks and we're getting our routines squared away. No more middle-of-the-night incidents or setting off the Medical Alert in response to imagined intruders or anything, but ...

Last night I finished up in the shop pretty late (after 11). I gathered my stuff and headed to the house. A couple minutes later I discovered they'd both gone to bed ... and she locked all three doors ... and my keys were in the house. Thankfully I was dressed warm enough to endure a few hours stretched out on my work bench [LMAO -- wish I had a pic of that to share]. Billy woke up at some point around 3, realized I wasn't in the house and came out and rescued me.

Glad to hear things are leveling out. Sounds like hiding a spare key is in order. I will have to leave the work bench comment for Karl because I am sure he won't be able to pass that one up.

Wish you luck. I am still stuck on the work bench pic. lol

So happy to see things are gettin a little better Leanna, It has been a rough road to ride and it sounds like a few of the bumbs are smoothing out.
I bet that pillow felt good when you hit it at 3 am :happy1:

So happy to see things are gettin a little better Leanna, It has been a rough road to ride and it sounds like a few of the bumbs are smoothing out.
I bet that pillow felt good when you hit it at 3 am :happy1:

Yeah Mike, it was a lot better than my old rolled up Army work blanket. Those aluminum shavings can really bite LOL!!!

Thanks for commiserating ya'll ... I figured you'd get a kick out of this latest episode of miscommunication. :-D

Glad to hear most things are improving.
But gotta ask if you've ever considered a padded workbench with a nice, warm dustcover to spread over it when the workday is done?
Hang in there - I keep telling my kids that it's tough to raise parents.

LOL Ken! Sheesh, the way I see it I spend ENOUGH time out there as it is. I never expected to be sleepin out there too .............. LMAO

At least it was bigger then the dog house some guy get sent to. Thank god I'm not one of them.

You know if it got too cold you could have turn on the powder coating oven
and left the door open.:D

Glad to hear things are getting better for you all. I'm sure it's taking some adjusting for her too.

Have a good one.

Tom

Leanna, you have to get Billy to see that a nursing home is the best for you guys and your mother-in-law. I am going through the same experience with my mother-in-law and we put her in an assisted living home. They aren't cheap but much better for all involved. My mother-in-law is 81 and suffering from dementhia. It is hard but we visit her at least once or twice a week. Hang in there kid!
Howard

I am a psych RN and can tell you that you will be better off taking her to a geriatric psychiatrist. General practitioners know a lot but, let's face it, they can't know everything. A geriatric psychiatrist specializes in this type of thing. Could be dementia. Could be depression or grief. Could be medication related, even a symptom of Parkinson's disease. Could be all of the above. A geriatric psychiatrist will know for sure. Your family doctor can only guess as this is not his specialty

Drugs, lots of drugs! For her and you if needed! lol

We lost my Mom to Alzheimer's disease just 2 weeks ago after a valiant 4 year battle so I speak with experience. 4 years ago we tried looking after Mom. It lasted about 3 weeks. People with this disease need constant professional help in a nursing institution. They also require special medications that will temporarily arrest decline and improve things sometimes quite dramatically. However, eventuallly no treatment is effective. Decline both mentally and physically continues through to serious debilitation. No one beats this disease. It is a huge mistake for family members to attempt care. Save yourself and your family. Get her into a specialized care facility right now. All the Best!

After 13 [verrrrrry long] months, it was a bit of a surprise to see this thread get a bump today, but I thank you for your input reno340.

and after sitting here for nearly ten minutes trying to frame some decent response or bring everybody up to speed on the situation, I'm shaking (too much coffee??? no), my heart rate is up a few points, and I'm discovering that I can't put together a workable summary of the last year if I had to. But I'm going to try anyway. This post may be long so let me apologize in advance -- sorry.

Her "doctor" that she used to see 2, 3 or 4 times a WEEK turned out to be merely a Physicians' Assistant. He has the whole small town of Sharon, Tennessee convinced that he's a doctor. He's not -- the guy is just a prescription pad on two legs who apparently has no interest in doing anything other than keeping her medicated and keeping him up to date on his Cadillac payments.

We haven't taken her back since February and never will. That day, she walked out of his office with him and he told me, "She's the picture of health!" as he handed me three new prescriptions. While they chatted for a minute, I looked at them; one was for diabetic testing supplies, one for lancets, and the third was for a brand new blood glucose meter.

I asked him straight up then why she has new prescriptions for all that stuff when there was a stack of unopened diabetic supplies from Arriva Medical no less than four feet high in her living room.

While cleaning out their house, I had been organizing everything into piles and bags (yeah, their place was a cross between American Pickers and Hoarders) ... they had five glucose meters that all looked brand new. There was enough medication bottles scattered throughout the house to completely fill TWO 13-gallon trash bags! Some of those had no labels so God only knows what was in them or which one of his parents they were prescribed for.

I asked the "doctor" right then how long it had been since her last prescription for a blood glucose meter was written. He opened and closed his mouth about twenty times like a trout out of water and started thumbing through her 2-inch-thick file -- the last one he could find was from June of 2012. So he's writing her new ones when the stuff she had wasn't even eight months old?!?

What is most telling is that Billy's mother is not diabetic. She never was diabetic. Her husband was "borderline" diabetic. The names on the boxes are in both of their names.

I turned him in for medicare fraud and never took her back again.

In the meantime, his daughter -- the only REAL doctor in the office (who saw Billy's mom once in 7 years and didn't prescribe her anything) got sued for $15 million dollars for removing a trach tube prematurely and causing a young man to endure brain damage. [http://www.kinnardclaytonandbeveridge.com/Verdicts-Settlements.shtml]

As timing would have it, Billy's mom got a letter from an independent firm TODAY affirming Medicare's denial of payments to Arriva Medical for diabetic testing supplies because her medical records did not support the bills. (Arriva has filed three appeals over the last few months trying to get paid and they haven't won one yet.)

Since February, Billy's mom hasn't been on a single medication other than Advil for her back and she's doing all right physically. The hundreds of medication bottles were mainly in his dad's name, but she was on a few that she didn't need to be on too. The guy had Billy's father on no less than 31 different medicines that I can find (4 of which should never have been prescribed for a cancer survivor!).

She finally got off the couch and started sleeping in her own room in (I think) about April ... and that was only because I told her out of total frustration one day that I missed having sex. Sad that it had to be like that, but it's true -- kinda tough to get your freak on when your man's mom is within earshot.

She's had a couple episodes of talking to people who aren't in the room and when we ask who she's talking to, she says it's the cats. But none of our cats is named Joe. Her younger sister who lives in Louisiana is named Jo though, and they're pretty close.

About six weeks ago now, again in the middle of the night, the medical alarm went off with its "EMERGENCY! EMERGENCY!" electronic voice. We vault out of bed again and start searching the house -- she is nowhere to be found! The back door was hanging wide open and a few seconds later the blue-and-reds start flashing out front from our circle driveway. Billy walked out to talk with the cop and find out what's going on.

The cop opens the back door of the cruiser and let Billy's mother out. "Well Jo, it looks like we got busted" and she giggled a little bit. Dressed in nothing but her half slippers, zebra-striped pajama pants and a wife beater t-shirt, the cop found her almost a mile from our house walking along the highway. It was 31 degrees outside. Thankfully some guy passing on the highway had called the police and he somehow knew where she belonged.

A couple days later the new door alarms arrived and got installed. Most people use those to alert themselves to intruders -- we've got them now so we know if she "escapes." Billy can now sleep. I still don't ... not much anyway.

The final probate paperwork was sent back to the lawyer Friday so at least the legal stuff's about over with; only one of his creditors even filed a claim against the estate so his mom came out all right on that.

And right now maybe a half hour after starting this post, my heart is still pounding and I'm still shaking. I obviously have some of my own issues here and haven't been myself for a long time either. I've been relegated to keeping all of my thoughts to myself -- because I'm basically sick of getting yelled at when I do share them -- and I have no doubt that holding everything in now is doing me little good over the long term.

Even my longtime friends here know something's up but I rarely talk to them about it. For a diehard motorhead chick who's had nearly 10,000 posts on this board over the last ten years, I might have typed on FABO 30 times since last November. Frankly, I just don't know what to say. Or IF I should. (And if Billy ever sees this thread, I know he'll have a fit.)

And we still have a 14' enclosed trailer full of his parents' stuff that she needs to go through, sort out and decide what to do with. She's gone through a few boxes on two occasions since she moved in and the rest of it just sits there waiting. We don't know what to do with it either, and have no room to put most of it if we did. The ad on Craigs List doesn't get much attention despite its contents being listed at giveaway prices.

So here I am going through the daily motions, trying to run my shop, get the work done (much better now the last few months than I was, and the turn around time has improved a little), keep the customers happy and keep the new ones coming in ... but it still feels like only part of "me" is there. I've done everything I can to try to be positive, accommodating, understanding, patient, sympathetic and kind.

But if it was working and if she was truly happy being here and we were truly happy having her here, I don't think I'd be shaking with an accelerated heart rate as I sat here trying to tell you all about it.

Now please ... somebody tell me I'm WRONG. :-D

Thanks for listening FABO. Even if nobody reads this, it's kinda good to get some of it out.

Knowing that this post is worthless without pics ...

This is the first pile I found ...

View attachment 004 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Imagine finding all these ... and trying to figure out what's in them.

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 014 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 036.jpg

The late day, night time confusion and hallucinations in a sure sign of Alzheimer's disease. It is known as "The Sundown Syndrome" and is common to all who suffer from this nasty disease.

Good grief. I feel for you. Sendin prayers your way.

My father passed away in December [the 28th] 1988 I was in the Air Force stationed in South Korea in January of 1989 I finally returned to Florida [being an only child I was separated from the military] my mother remained in the house they bought in 1954 but soon decided to give it to me [I refused and suggested she sell it] she did and moved to a senior apartment downtown. My wife and I visited every weekend and took her to the doctor and shopping for grocery's and took her to dinner often. It was on one of those shopping trips [to the liquor store] for her wine when she freaked out about her debt card missing [she had given it to the clerk] she threw a fit crying and everything refusing to believe he had her card. This happened several more times along with talking to dead relatives ect. we had to stop taking her anywhere, then she started loosing weight I ramped up my visits to keep an eye on her. I asked her once what did you have for dinner she said "nothing" cause she did not know what she wanted so she didn't eat. I asked her doctor if she had dimensia/alzhimers she said nope she is perfectly healthy, well low and behold she had some leg problems [swelling] and the therapy nurse showed up one afternoon to find her in a chair having trouble breathing she went to the hospital and they put her in a rehab for her legs, I got many phone calls from there about her being combative and refusing to cooperate one evening she got up and fell breaking her arm which put her in the hospital ICU and eventually where she passed away. She had been hiding an illness from everyone [including her doctor]. Her blood vessels could not hold blood [like cheese cloth] as the ICU RN nurse explained [upon cleaning out her apartment we found blood stains on her sheets and drawers full of empty opened envelopes empty bags ect.]. I feel for ya'll this is a very trying thing for you both to go thru. You know the funny thing that I will remember my mother always saying after my father passed "old people should just die because they are useless to anyone" that will always be in my mind, she wanted to die to be with her husband of 55 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She was 86.

Leanna, first off what you're know that you're not alone. We live with my parents to help take car of my mom. Now she's not elderly (57) but very very sick. What I find helpful is to stop, take a breather. Then I remind myself she's sick and not herself anymore. Then I take another breather and get back to work helping her with what she needs. This really helps me, just my experiences I hope it helps

I have read all of the posts here and will admit, there is a lot of good advice here. I kind of was heading in this situation a few years ago with my wife's grandmother, who now is in her early 90's and has been in a home for about the last 5 years. My wife and I both worked fulltime at the time, each at our own business. My wife wanted to bring her into our house to take care of her and although it was a great loving gesture, I told my wife that I couldn't agree with it as I refused to take care of an elderly person, especially a female when my wife was not there. Also I couldn't see my wife and I both working fulltime, not knowing when we would get home at regular times, with both of us being self employed at the time. I always considered her grandmother as my own over the years, but I couldn't see my wife and I continue having a husband and wife relationship and marriage with all of this. To much stress, ect. After a few days my wife did agree with me and I'm happy for that. I told my wife, how would you be able to pick her up if she fell and no one was here to help you. Myself I don't know if I could pick her up if I had to. She is in a home and is well cared for, but a lot of times her grandmother refuses to cooperate with the providers. The woman is just miserable. Her mind is sharp but just stubborn. I have come to find out over the years, even with my own grandparents who have since passed were very independent type of people, part of the greatest generation I figure and like to do things their selves even though they can't. I didn't refuse to help my wife take care of her grandmother do to lack of love or caring for her grandmother ,but out of love and caring for my wife and common sense told me that this would be the best move, both mentally and physically for the both of us. I read in your one post about you shaking and some other issues. My opinion is that it's starting to affect your health and well being. So you should take care of yourself. Think about it, what good are you if you go down with health issues for her or your family? Just will add more to the situation. Take care and good luck with whatever you choose and prayers will be sent.

After nearly 10 glorious hours of sleep last night -- in a row!!! -- I'm feeling a little more coherent and a lot less desperate today. Thanks first for all the great advice and personal stories ... they have all helped and made me realize we're not alone in this.

His mom is totally lucid 99.8% of the time and her episodes of seeing things are only at night when I suspect she's just dreaming. The three weeks she spent with us in August after Lee's fall / hip break showed NONE of this behavior, and the only real difference between now and then is that her husband isn't coming home this time.

She goes back and forth between seeming to be comfortable here and wanting to go back to her house and live by herself. Billy's pretty much given her the ultimatum that she can stay here with us or she can go to a nursing home. Though she doesn't come out and say so, I think she's internally pissed off that we're taking away her independence -- I can relate to that myself -- but if she goes back home (four miles away) I'll just be spending a lot more time in the car responding to her little daily emergencies.

I neglected to mention in yesterday's post that she just went to her doctor on the 11th. He gave her a clean bill of health, said her blood work was fine and that he was going to continue her pain medication (for arthritis). Out of one side of his mouth he told me that "Her blood sugar is right in line where it should be," while simultaneously handing me three prescriptions for a new blood glucose meter, test strips and lancets.

I've been the one cleaning up their house gathering all the paperwork I need for the probate attorney. Though I won't go into details here about that fiasco LOL, I will say I've found no less than five blood glucose meters, a stack of Arriva diabetic testing supplies FOUR FEET HIGH and countless boxes of unused lancets.

After looking at the prescriptions he just handed me, I asked her doctor "Why does she need all this when she already has five brand new meters and all these supplies at her house already? This seems an awful lot like Medicare fraud to me," he opened and closed his mouth like a trout out of water, started stammering and uhhhhhing, wouldn't meet my gaze and started paging through her file. All he could come up with was that he gave her one prescription for blood testing supplies in June. He couldn't answer my question of where the other meters and supplies came from. He's her only doctor, and has been since we all moved to Tennessee in 2006.

Whoa! Stop and call the Medicare fraud line RIGHT NOW!

Needless to say, after that 3-minute conversation with her doctor (who incidentally was also his dad's doctor, and who refused to authorize an autopsy), I don't have a lot of confidence in his assessments. When I got home with her and told Billy what the doctor had said and done, he got worried too; we'd like her to see someone else and get a second opinion at least on the diabetic issue -- we don't know if she's diabetic or not, and neither does she.

She needs to be seen by another doctor, and you need to call the state licensing board on that hack RIGHT NOW!

The problem with the suggestions of senior care facilities, doctor shopping and even church are that none of those things are right here in Greenfield. The only Catholic church is 12 miles away (this is serious Baptist country) and "real" hospitals are further than that. They do have a senior van from the Northwest Tennessee something-or-other but each trip is $15 regardless of where they take ya, and the driver is prohibited from helping the riders on or off the bus. (???) I'm missing enough time from work just dealing with all this stuff as it is, let alone driving her out of town all the time too.

Having driven a senior van: LIABILITY. I'm guessing she does not drive? I have seen "ride-share" at some senior centers (and libraries)...what about that?

She and Lee also had the same problem that Billy and I have endured since moving here: Everyone is friendly but it's really hard to make FRIENDS. Maybe I'm over simplifying it, but it sure seems as soon as they find out you aren't interested in going to their (Baptist) church, they'll be nice to your face but don't really want anything to do with you or be inclined to get to know you better. So relying on her friends and finding people her age to help us out and keep her entertained isn't going to work either.

Giving her little projects to help out like making lunch and peeling potatoes for supper and things do seem to help her and give her some purpose off the couch. I've got about two gallons of nuts and bolts -- her husband's hardware left overs lol -- in a five gallon bucket that I'm thinking of having her sort out since she seems to enjoy being out in the shop a little bit.

Not a bad idea, as long as it won't aggravate arthritis.

Anyway, the more I think about all of this and compare right now to how she was in August, I'm fairly confident and very hopeful that this weirdness is only temporary. Her own mother lived to be 102, and it's my understanding she didn't have dementia or Alzheimer's and that it doesn't run in their family or anything. Only time will tell I suppose. In the meantime, we'll just have to make the best of things.

Thanks to each and every one who replied -- even the FABO wives!! :-D thanks ladies -- and shared their own experiences. I know we're not alone now, and comparing Vert's actions to some of your parents' helps me to realize she's not as bad off as she could be (yet). At least I know what to expect if it gets that far.

My grandfather died last week...he was 91, his mind was sharp as ever, but he'd been a wheelchair-bound invalid for 10+ years. Caring for him nearly destroyed his daughter's career & marriage. :(

Edit: didn't realize how old this was. :eek:ops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back