She's LUMP! Restore or Part/Scrap? FABO Help!

-
Some more pics....
HIT IT!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bueuGw47IG0"]The Offspring-Self Esteem - YouTube[/ame]

:blob:

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 20.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 19.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 18.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 17.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 16.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 310
  • 15.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 333
  • 14.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 337
  • 13.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 12.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 335
Hit it!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfU7qXZQhc&feature=related"]I Come From The Water - YouTube[/ame]

See Ya next time!!:glasses7:

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 327
  • 23.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 22.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 330
  • 21.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 335
HIT IT!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sj_U6vObUA&feature=related"]The Presidents of the USA - Lump - YouTube[/ame]

Heading out to the driveway now to look at the other side!!

340dart.812 was over here the other day to check out his truck I'm working on for him.
I had to fire Lump up and move her. After moving and shutting her down, he asked what the engine has had done to it. That thing sounds too healthy to be stock. I consider that a compliment especially from him. He runs his Dart at the drag stip!
I told him the engine had its spark plugs tightened to specs with new ones put in. New spark plug wires. Rotor and cap checked but were new already. Replaced stock carb with rebuilt stock carb. Had Dirty White Boy come over with variuos dwell meters, timing light, vac guage etc. He spent 10 min dialing it in. Oh, also got a few holes in welds along the exhaust pipe. Previous owner installe a glass pack.
He says is that all??!!
Yep.
Well it must be something with the V-8 originally ordered in that 4 door, with no other options??
Nope. But I have been having a very difficult time finding the right Idler arm for it. I've had 3 different brands in as many weeks and all were the same and would not work with the moog bushing kit I have for it. The stores keep giving me the"Except for Taxi and police cars" version of the idler arm and it does NOT ,match the one on Lump!!
I wonder where I can get the police/Taxi version of the idler arm???
If that is the right one, it would be cop/taxi front end.
Did they make a police interceptor version of the 318??
Gues we'll be getting under Lump today to get some engine numbers.
As fast and mean as Lump is, I bet there is something not normal there. Lump is even faster than BOF was! BOF had an eddy 600 4bbl and a mystery mopar duel pain intake with duals.
340dart.812 says I should go run it at the track and see what it clocks at.
So, I guess him, me, and FABO will run Lump at the track soon before winter!! VAAAAARRROOOOOOOOMMmmmmm!!!:burnout:
I've got a set of duals on Ashe our duster we bought. It was original 6 cyl but recently had a 360. I might take the duals from Ashe down to the exhaust place and get them to put them on Lump and go to dual glass packs on Lump like BOF.
I also have a streetmaster intake from the 70's.......Hmmmm:coffee2:
15 horse power more with duals????......:coffee2:

Well out to the drive way tent with ye!
It was over 100 out there yesterday.
I'm off!!!!!................................................

Wow . . . coming along . . . . now you knew that rust was hiding more work . . lol . . . that's normal! Sorry it was there, how's the other side? I hope for you that it is surface rust only. Nice little DeWalt shear, have been thinking about getting one myself. I have the manual type of shear, gets a little rough on the hands!

You've made some great progress on a car that you had once considered on scrapping. You saved one! Curious, before you "kitty haired" the lower fender, did you fill in the welds or is that needed? Rog

Wow . . . coming along . . . . now you knew that rust was hiding more work . . lol . . . that's normal! Sorry it was there, how's the other side? I hope for you that it is surface rust only. Nice little DeWalt shear, have been thinking about getting one myself. I have the manual type of shear, gets a little rough on the hands!

You've made some great progress on a car that you had once considered on scrapping. You saved one! Curious, before you "kitty haired" the lower fender, did you fill in the welds or is that needed? Rog

Filling the welds 1 spot at a time, skipping around the patch, untill all is filled, I assume is best but I have no formal training, so I really do not know. I suffer from more balls than brains with less cash syndrum. When I was 16 in the 70's we would pack the holes with aluminum foil then bondo!!
I do know a lot of the cars I get with body work usually has cracks developed. Then when I grind into the cracks to metal, I usually find lightweight bondo only applied way too thick. Something moves under it or dirty prep work, ends up with the cracks.
Couple years ago, I did my neighbors truck rear wells on bed. He wanted it done down and dirty with out buying panels. I was doing for free. He wanted it packed and smeared! Whatever! I was sure to use this gortex kitty hair as thick as needed but as little on thickness as possible. Lightweight bondo only used as final spot scratch swirl filler, instead of glazing compound. THIN COAT!! It's been almost 3 years and his bodywork still looks good! It's surprising though, He wanted so fast, I painted at 5AM one morning, between rainstorms, 97% humidity! I told him if he wakes up next week and there is a long white staw laying next to his truck, that it would be his paint that rolled off his truck! LOL
Cheap NAPA paint, still looks good! painted outside.
On Lump yesterday the patches would not fill exact but close enough that I got welds on about 90% around all seams then gortex kitty hair. I'm here to tell ya, the longer that stuff sets up the harder it gets. If you wait too long it's like sanding raw steel. You have to shape it within a couple hours at best, 24 hours just makes shaping sanding harder. Not the same filler used in the 70's!!
I try to cut my patches with enough to tuck behind the hole and spot weld not next to each other but skipping around the patch to keep heat down. Usually I end up with a patch slightly below serface level, grind spot welds and all exposed patch and metal around hole to ruff surface. Then gortex kitty hair.
On Baby's rust repair patch, after welding 100% of the seams, I filled on top of patch with weld untill over level with surface. Then ground it back with just a feather coat of kitty hair and a feather coat of lightweight filler for sand marks and spots.
I'm sure the body experts on here would probibly fill with lead sticks spoon and torch. I would think that would be best.
But, I'm very limited in tools and supplies and know how. I'm kinda a hack but if my body work last 5- 10 years I'm cool with that cause I'll just do it over and it's a good excuse to get a new paint job on it too!! LOL!:cheers:

Best thing would be to buy panels and use a flanging tool (I'm looking at one at Harbor Freight, hand, electric or air!) so there is underlapping metal all round hole. Then spot weld skipping all round untill all seams done. Cut panels if needed to follow body lines. The goal is to have as little as possible filler and most possible steel when done. Skipping around slowly so heat will not build up and warp panels wich results in more filler needed. Less is best! Between layers I always sand almost all the way back down to previous or untill I see a high spot of steel reshowing itself.

LOL!! This thread is for entertainment purposes only and not intended as an alfa and omega of technical know how with unlimited budget!! LMAO!!
I hope that made it clear as mudd popdart! Sorry I am under informed but my stuff is prepped clean. I always wipe ground steel with "fast thinner" and blow dry before 1st kitty hair layer. I had learned bodywork out of need and no money. I did work on a 29 roadster when I was 14 but it was mostly heat and beat. The old dude there would lead fill. I was there mainly to run the wire wheel on the frame in prep and watch others.
I wish I could tell you how to do it right but I come from a long line of poor hoosier engineers!:D

OH! I forgot to mention...
You can get those sheers at HF or air operated ones cheaper than that dewalt set. Again I was under informed when I bought those sheers but sense loosing my job, I use those things at least every month or so! Mostly from when I bought that used welder!
You have to be carefull with those. Now I only use them to cut patches from flat. They can warp metal if you aint careful. I now use a metal cutting wheel on my grider (DEATH TRAP) and it slices through sheet on the car faster than hot knife through butter, but again heat can be an issue. There is some learning curve on technique!:eek:ops:
Well, I'm out dude. Keep it safe, Lump is calling. On to the other side today and we are thinking vinyl top removal for tomorrow. I thought of a little different removal technique that we used on Fern. Instead of razor around edges like before with removal of glass trim too, I'm thinking (for a change and sense I've been here before) of razor a big + sign in middle of roof, then pulling and rolling up from center out ending at trim with a vinyl log in both hands, then abrumpt assertive "TUG" at end pulling vinyl from under trim.
No trim removal, no gasket removal, no trip clip replacement, unless damaged from age or me! Another "GUTS VS. BRAINS" problem on the future horizon of Lump and me.:glasses7:

But, I'm very limited in tools and supplies and know how.

LOL!! This thread is for entertainment purposes only and not intended as an alfa and omega of technical know how with unlimited budget!! LMAO!!
I hope that made it clear as mudd popdart! Sorry I am under informed but my stuff is prepped clean. I always wipe ground steel with "fast thinner" and blow dry before 1st kitty hair layer. I had learned bodywork out of need and no money.
Well this is what I'm about too. I've always done my own work. If I never done it before, :help: I just dove in and plowed through it making mistakes :eek:ops: and learning. I also am limited in supplies, tools, know how, and cash! What you do, I can do . . . I can afford to do it too!! I think many others on this site feel the same way, learning from your little tips and tricks . . . and gotta love ABB, Lex, and Vinnie :D:D:D plus all the great music!! You are entertaining dude!! :cheers: lol Rog

p.s. How's Yard Dog doin'? Hope he's better.

Well, it's time to get Lumpy again!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymkjimQyHC4&feature=fvsr"]Led Zeppelin - Black Dog - YouTube[/ame]

Hadn't heard too much from Yard Dawg. I'll be calling him this Am.
We are supposed to be going to the junk yard tomorrow.
Didn't get anything done between thunder storms yesterday. I don't like using electric sanders or painting in the rain.
Ahhh the great out doors!
Wonder what mankind did before lifts and garages with heat and air conditioning??....
Oh! I guess I know!

Well it's only going to be around 70 today, partly sunny.
Sounds like I got my wish. Air conditioning.
Well it's supposed to have up to 20 mph winds today and tomorrow and my maple trees are already dropping leaves in my painting area.
Does this suprise me to have falling stuff all around with wind while I'm trying to paint? NO! It always seems to me that I'm always trying to get the most painting done in the fall. (See maple leaf print in Baby's hood!)
I got lump to shoot, just stock color for winter, then in spring look out!
I got to get 340dart.812's pick up finished and painted too.
Will be raining on and off here till Sunday. All painting except primer "ON HOLD" untill week of 9.12.

:coffee2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYfQnXPVcc&feature=related"]Led Zeppelin - The Crunge - YouTube[/ame]

Well, see yall later!
I'll be working Lump over for a long time today!
Plans are to finish front side of opening at drivers rear. Small rust spot there.
Then be heading around to the pass side rear.
Fix possible rust there.
Then wet sand all pass half of car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWhTvfivgZc&feature=related"]Led Zeppelin - Good Times Bad Times - YouTube[/ame]

We should have pulled the top off the day it was over a hundred. Bet we don't get another one of those before winter. That would have been the perfect day. But every time I went out in the afternoon, I came right back in after 10-15 min!
There is always the heat gun.
Well, it's getting light enough here to work so I guess it's off to the drive way with me!
See Yas!:glasses7:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU"]Talking Heads - "Once In A Lifetime" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhSc8qVMjKM"]Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London - YouTube[/ame]

:glasses7::coffee2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4w8Uhk6vdg&feature=related"]Spiderbait - Black Betty - YouTube[/ame]

Hit it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk&ob=av2e"]RUN-DMC - Walk This Way - YouTube[/ame]

Wow!
Look at that old dude.
He's got moves and a little skill!!

Here's what the geezer did sense coffee this morning!:glasses7:

MAN! LOOK AT HIM GO!!!

Time for lunch.......:D

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 9.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 8.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 7.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 4.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 324
more pics!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqQn2ADZE1A&feature=related"]Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 19.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 18.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 17.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 16.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 284
  • 15.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 14.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 13.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 12.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 309
  • 11.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 319
A couple more pics.
Lunch was great! ABB fixed me beef fried rice with angry angus beef strips!=D>

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJVr0vJK2rs&ob=av3n"]Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train - YouTube[/ame]

Well, thats lunch!
Watch this.......
Happy Labor Day!
That means work to me!
Be back tonight with the evening update!:burnout:

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 295
  • 26.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 25.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 24.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 23.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 22.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 21.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 302
Hit it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGF_0AcHaGs"]Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner - YouTube[/ame]

Whew!
That was one hell of a day!!:blob:
The old man shoots, He scores!!!!:cheers:
Look at the old geezer go!!
He's even got time for yard work, adjusted the rear brakes and cleaned out break dust. Checked the oil and other fluids.
Took out the garbage to the street and posted pics!! LOL!
Here is some pics:D

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 9.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 8.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 292
  • 7.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 280
  • 6.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 5.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 301
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6_VXPwm6U&feature=related"]Kansas Carry on my Wayward son - YouTube[/ame]

More pics!:cheers:

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 18.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 274
  • 19.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 20.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 16.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 15.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 14.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 13.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 12.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 11.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 282
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oYa5PizPFs&feature=fvsr"]2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx - RUSH [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

Last few pics I think!:glasses7:

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 28.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 261
  • 29.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 30.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 26.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 25.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 24.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 23.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 22.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 274
  • 21.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 290
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbH7zNrHQqE&feature=related"]Heart - Magic Man (live 1977) HQ version - YouTube[/ame]

Last pics for Labor day weekend 2011!

See Yall Later!:glasses7:

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 31.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 32.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 283
:coffee2: Oh boy John . . . . great updates, pics, and music this morning. :cheers: You have been a busy man. Really, you must be a 25 year old in a 50 year old body . . . . Werewolves of London . . . a personal favorite . . . and of course Black Betty . . . Good to see Vinnie out in the yard and Lex . . . what can you say about the little mastermind?

Nice sander . . . . boy that will make it straight and get the work done a little easier.
Amazing what a little cooler weather can do to help progress! You kicked butt! =D> You ran out of daylight because you burn it all away :clock: !! LOL!
Thanks for a great morning! :cheers:=D> Rog

:coffee2: Oh boy John . . . . great updates, pics, and music this morning. :cheers: You have been a busy man. Really, you must be a 25 year old in a 50 year old body . . . . Werewolves of London . . . a personal favorite . . . and of course Black Betty . . . Good to see Vinnie out in the yard and Lex . . . what can you say about the little mastermind?

Nice sander . . . . boy that will make it straight and get the work done a little easier.
Amazing what a little cooler weather can do to help progress! You kicked butt! =D> You ran out of daylight because you burn it all away :clock: !! LOL!
Thanks for a great morning! :cheers:=D> Rog

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A&feature=related"]Jason Mraz - I'm Yours (Live On Earth Single Video) - YouTube[/ame]

No, after a day like that, 50 YO body feels like it's 70!
Good thing I got all that work done in one day cause now it's gonna rain for the next 5 days! Dart work in driveway called due to rain.
I need a bigger garage.

Car auction today but didn't look like much was there.
No work yesterday either. Afternoon was taken for driving to east bum puck ida hoe (Almost 60 miles 1 way) for a junker 97 Toy carolla.
Will be dropping off this AM for $

Before dark last night my wiper motor for FOTO was dropped off so I installed due it supposed to be raining for the next 5 days.
last week when I went to auction on Thurs. It was raining on highway with no wipers!! Thanks to rainX I was able to drive to and from auto auction.
I've lost track how many auctions I've been to in the past few weeks. Averaging 3 a week. Still have not seen anything to buy.
Most units going at auction for what I sell them for!

Have you noticed auto service centers are like overbooked right now.
Trend to keep older units? I think so.
Our local Chebby dealer just ran an ad on TV "now paying top dollar for your old car, trade it in or just sell to us for cash, running or not"
I'll have to figure how to top that copy cat. Like a line in my ads...
"Don't take your old car to a dealer to sell. They won't pay you top price in cash. I am an independent car buyer who will pay top dollar in cash, all makes and models, running or not. Towing free"
Wonder if the owner just picked my flier off the used car managers desk or saw my old TV ad and decided to best me.
Wonder where she got her ad copy?
Almost reads word for word from my fliers I've dropped off there before. Fliers looked like my TV ad.

Have a great day today Rog!
John:coffee2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQj--Kjn0z8&feature=relmfu"]Smash Mouth - Walkin' On The Sun - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 251
Yesterday me and Lump took a long drive together. I had to drive her to one of my appointments because all the company cars were signed out. When I got to the house I was like these people are going to wonder who is that pulling up at their place in that car. As I was getting out of the car the women mentioned something about the car and I said that we were fixing it up. She said when you are down you will have a classic car. Lump may not be pretty right now but it was a great ride.
Say what you want, Lump may not be perfect, but she gets the job done.

[ame="http://youtu.be/n1bcQMCZ5gU"]302 Found[/ame]

Good thing I got all that work done in one day cause now it's gonna rain for the next 5 days! Dart work in driveway called due to rain.

Thanks to rainX I was able to drive to and from auto auction.

Most units going at auction for what I sell them for!

Have you noticed auto service centers are like overbooked right now.
Trend to keep older units? I think so.

Almost reads word for word from my fliers I've dropped off there before. Fliers looked like my TV ad.
:coffee2: Good morning!

Yeah it's supposed to rain here too. [-( I'm lucky to have shelter, I'll be out there today. I hear the Dart calling.

RainX is good to have in the trunk with the Fix-a-Flat and duct tape!!:thumblef:

Well, it seems your competition :thumbdow: sells for higher than you do, but wants to buy for the same price. You are doing the right things, especially if they are copying you. You need to put yourself in the place of the people who have a car and need money, and find a way to reach them. I don't have the answers, :violent1: but I hope you find them!

Do you have a website for your business? How about giving a finder's fee to people who use you to help bring in business . . . use a coupon with your phone number (and website address) on it and a little about you and your business. Give them 10% or whatever you think would make them keep the coupon for future use. Word of mouth is great advertising! I know, all of this is easy for me to say.

Well I know you're determined, I just don't like seeing good people struggle.
Good luck John . . . :hello2:

:coffee2: Good morning!

Yeah it's supposed to rain here too. [-( I'm lucky to have shelter, I'll be out there today. I hear the Dart calling.

RainX is good to have in the trunk with the Fix-a-Flat and duct tape!!:thumblef:

Well, it seems your competition :thumbdow: sells for higher than you do, but wants to buy for the same price. You are doing the right things, especially if they are copying you. You need to put yourself in the place of the people who have a car and need money, and find a way to reach them. I don't have the answers, :violent1: but I hope you find them!

Do you have a website for your business? How about giving a finder's fee to people who use you to help bring in business . . . use a coupon with your phone number (and website address) on it and a little about you and your business. Give them 10% or whatever you think would make them keep the coupon for future use. Word of mouth is great advertising! I know, all of this is easy for me to say.

Well I know you're determined, I just don't like seeing good people struggle.
Good luck John . . . :hello2:

Good places for flyers;
coin op Laundry
Liquer store
gas stations
grocery stores
BARS
Fraturnity organizations like Eagles, Moose, VFW, ets...
Wish I could put up flyers at the unemployment office!

My ad is comming out in two new papers this month;
"Over 50 magazine" Free everywhere around here!
Also a lake front community newsletter too. They don't like junk sitting around there too long!!
I still need to get on the local radio station but need $ first.

I have one customer that has had 3 different cars go down where he works and he keeps my number hanging up there. One of his coworkers called me last week with a car 2 blocks from my house!!
I have had about a dozen repeat customer units and about a dozen referrals.

ABB had me on face book for a week but the customers from that were too far away to make it worth my while. The closer to my house or junk yard I pick the better. Soon I will be buying a targeted mail list. Residential in my county only. I used to be in printing.

Coupons and 10% off doesent work in this business. I have to bid on each car as high as I can or they just call someone else. By the time I bid, I have already figured everything down to the last cent to give them the most $ I can with out shorting me. It's quite the balance act!

-
Back