shifting problems

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
so this weekends nightmare comes from last years tranny woes that apparently are back. i blew a converter last year that clogged up my trans. causing it not to shift b/c pressure passages were blocked. i took it to the trans shop, got a new cconverter, he put in a new pump, cleaned it all out..but he did reuse my full manual valve body.. well i put it all back together today..seemed to shift correctly but would not start in park, only neutral, so i adjust the linkage till it cranked in park..and now after a few high stall launches...i'm stuck in first..it was too hot to mess with so i just garaged it...but even ratcheting up through 3rd..it stays in first....which i would assume it would at least hit pull 2nd even if the linkage was off.. unless i'm hitting every (half) gear perfectly, deep pan and 8 inch converter, so i started with about 10-11 quarts and the level appears fine....what do you guys think i'm doing next weekend?..replacing a valve body? fine tuning linkage? or pulling out the entire tranny i just took the previous weekend putting in for yet another going through
: ( great way to start racing season

Did you flush or replace the trans. cooler after the catastrophic failure? If not it's possible trash in it plugged the filter or went into the valve body and has a valve(s) stuck.

Not flushing cooler and lines caused me a lotta grief too...

Definition of "experience", .. the ability to recognize when you're about to make a mistake...................... again.....

all new lines, and brand new cooler....according to a few guys i talked to i may be a quart or two low..stick looked ok when i checked it but who knows, i think i put in 11-12..not the 13-14 other guys seem to think it'll take, and may have the linkage slightly off thus making it worst..we'll see come friday

dont forget to check the governor valve in the tailshaft that will cause the same issue. and the deep trans pan add's to the capacity of the trans thus needing more fluid than a stock pan. shifter should be checked in first gear and actually should be checked in each gear by leaving the clip out and verifying the shifter and the valve body are in sync with each other,if the valve body is in between two gears somethins gonna get screwed up

Pull the valvebody and rinse it out while moving the valves back and forth against thier springs while rinsing and dumping it upside down.
Pull the cooler lines and blow them out with solvent in BOTH directions multiple times. (You can blow the solvent into a bucket to see what comes out of them)
When a converter explodes it dumps all kinds of crap right into the cooler and it piles up in nooks and crannies in the cooler.
Trans shops ALWAYS flush those lines both ways back and forth through cooler after a converter failure to make sure they flush out all the little bits and pieces of metal.
Reassemble with a new filter and you should be good to go.

Note: if you don't know about the check balls in the valvebody then read and find pics about the ball locations before you open the valvebody.

Good Luck with it.

well..as i said above, the trans was flushed/rebuilt, the lines and cooler are brand new,not reused. plus its a FULL man vbody..so it doesnt even have drop in check balls. but i'll check the linkage, add some fluid....now for this governor in the tail shaft? thats beyond my tranny knowledge..whats that entail?

been a while since I had to do one.... there is a governor in the tailshaft, pull the trans mount then there is a lil' plate with two screws . under that there is a clip, you have to squeeze to pull the tailshaft housing off, it's inside there maybe someone has an exploded view of this they can post but a governor valve will cause those symptoms.....look for a service manual :read2:

waggin does not speak with fork-ed tongue. He is right on the money. Best manual I can suggest is the "ATSG" manual. It will cover both the 727 and 904. It is even more comprehensive than the factory service manual. They are all over FeeBay for about 20 bucks.

well if the fluid level and adjustment on the linkage doesnt fix it..i'll have to invest in one, thanks guys

If it's a full manual valve body as you say the governor circuit is non operative. The governor is for automatic shifting only.

ahh i see....yeah its full 100% manual valve body, no kickdown nipple or anything...so i guess we'll pray for fluid level.lol

Neeto I learned somethin new today...that was a long time ago and I did not have a manual valve body and the governor valve was hangin out the side with a c clip and mangled....stuck in first gear Lol....I will say it was one hell of a burnout!!!!
If it's a full manual valve body as you say the governor circuit is non operative. The governor is for automatic shifting only.

Naw there's plenty enough boobies in it already. lol

lol..wouldnt know that I am that 23 year old in this post.lol

alright fellas, know its been a while..but here goes the results....added another 2 quarts..and luckily i got 2nd gear back...adjusted linkage...all was fine there....but now, no 3rd gear. which is the same Effing problem i dropped it off at the trans show with last year after a converter failure...he claimed some debris plugged up the valve body enough to stop fluid travel for the 3rd gear shift(which i bought)...he fushed and rebuilt it...reusing only my valve body that was also supposedly cleaned very well...he also air pressure tested the trans to make sure it'd engage into 3rd after the rebuild.....so here we are again. no 3rd gear. wasted hours on the install...to pull it right back out.

no burnouts till it's been filled all the way to the top, test drove like a old manand fluid rechecked, also check band adjustments, one is on outside of case on drivers side and other is inside trans above the valve body...see fsm for adjustment procedure

im calling the trans guy on monday... to see if i need to yank the whole thing...or just the valve body...engines got a rear main seal issue...so i guess i might as well yank 'em both.

Man that stinks Johnny.

BTW: the front clutch pack is what gives you 3rd gear. It applies along with the rear band to give you reverse. If reverse is fine the problem must be in the valve body.

yeah wish i knew more about them. this racing season is starting as a nightmare. huge rear main seal leak on my new crate engine, trans not shifting...maybe a roof beam will fall on it tomorrow.lol...
i have a buddy who thinks that the bands need adjusting...i'm hoping valve body.. but yes reverse and every other gear works fine...maybe a hairline crack/warp from the converter failure...we'll see what the guy says tomorrow.

-
Back