Shocking Discovery!

-

JRod01

Jesus is my Savior!
Reaction score
I posted a week or so ago about an awful noise in the front suspension of my duster. Suspecting the steering box, I did some serious investigating to find that it's just fine (thankfully.). What I did discover making the noise is that the driver side shock tower is moving up and down when I jounce on the front end. The passenger side is completely fine and stable. I can plainly see the top of the shock tower moving in the inner fender adjustment access area.The driver side has a metal to metal clunk and moves about a 1/16 of an inch give or take. What/where is the source of this? What would cause a shock tower to do this? Broken spot welds? Where should I look? Thanks Mopar community!!

might just need new rubber grommets on the shocks.

I could try that. They are brand new. What the shock is mounted to is moving and that's what concerns me because the passenger side is identical and it doesn't move at all.

He said the whole shock tower is moving up and down.

Sounds like some reinforcement to the frame rail is in order.
Pretty common actually.

huh - never had one come loose.. there's what - 6 spot welds holding it to the frame?

Yes there are but not towards the top of the bracket.
A nice upside down U welded over the tops of the bracket and to the frame rail solves it once and for all.
Some even run a tube from the firewall up inside the fender across the top of the top of the bracket and on down to the frame rail.

Here's a couple of the solutions.
In the second picture I would do it like the red lines because it would be a lot stronger.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes there are but not towards the top of the bracket.
A nice upside down U welded over the tops of the bracket and to the frame rail solves it once and for all.
Some even run a tube from the firewall up inside the fender across the top of the top of the bracket and on down to the frame rail.

Here's a couple of the solutions.
In the second picture I would do it like the red lines because it would be a lot stronger.

View attachment 1714961865

View attachment 1714961866

Looks great! Wow, thank you for the input!!

The Mopar Action Green Brick series covered this in great detail, IIRC.

The Mopar Action Green Brick series covered this in great detail, IIRC.
I'll see if I can find it on this thing called the Internet, hopefully somewhere. This is pretty major. The car is already painted/assembled/driving. Well, not the last part for now, anyways.

-
Back