Short Visit to World Final @ Pomona

-

GTX JOHN

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well second round Jon face Bo Butner in Super Stock.
It did not go Jon's way as Jon slipped all the way to a .06 to Bo's .03.

To add insult to injury, I was beaten by his wife Randy Lynn Butner (Shipp)
in Stock Eliminator. We both had nearly identical .02 lights and Randy legged
it out to the finish and was one off. I was dialed with almost a hundred under the petal
and in the much slower ( 12.4 to 10.6 )) 318 Wagon and gave the finish back less than a hundred!

Sometime racing the wagon is like being in front of a firing squad and trying to catch the bullets in
you teeth. I have raced in Stock many guys like the Calvert family @ 170 MPH when I am going barely over

I try to never forget to thank God for giving me a chance to live my Dreams even at 75.

John, ya win some ya lose some. If drag racing was easy and cheap, everyone would be doing it. LOL And BTW, I'm not far behind you 71 creeping up on 72.

I always leave the track with a big smile on my face!
Just to be able to spend time with my son/Grandsons and
friends that I have had for 50 plus years is a huge blessing
from the Lord. If I never win another round ever I will still
be a totally happy and satisfied guy.

My former partner won his first and only national event here in Texas in 2009 at 74 years old. He and I had so many good times at the races whether we won or lost. Unfortunately we lost him to cancer in 2020 RIP Bob Murray (Founder of Older Than Dirt Racing Team).

Last edited:
I'm still at it at 67. Now I'm just doing it for the fun and hanging out with my friends at the track. If I go some rounds that's great, but if I go out first round it's still a great time. My days of chasing points and track championships are long gone, and I'm happy with that.

I'm still at it at 67. Now I'm just doing it for the fun and hanging out with my friends at the track. If I go some rounds that's great, but if I go out first round it's still a great time. My days of chasing points and track championships are long gone, and I'm happy with that.
Where do you race up there? Oxford?

@GTX JOHN it was awesome getting to meet you and your son, even if only for a short time. Sorry you didn’t have a longer weekend. Thank you for what you did for Laura and I, we had a wonderful time.
1C22066F-4A83-4223-968D-489710E82891.png

Where do you race up there? Oxford?
Yup, Oxford and Winterport Dragway mostly, both 1/8 mile tracks. When I feel the need for some 1/4 mile blasts I go to New England Dragway, Lebanon Valley and usually make at least one trip down to Maple Grove during the season.

-
Back