shots from the garage...

-
Hope to find a TnT before that one.... I REALLY want to get this combo down a track. I'm using the carb off the iron head 360 which should choke the crap out of it, but should still run fairly strong.

Jay, Check out the link. Lots of early dates over here. :D Got a guest house in the back :D

http://www.raceswir.com/schedule. Your Duster has never 60 ft well? It always seemed to MPH good.

Even with the W5 mill we'd 60 in the 1.42-1.46 range.... think we hit a 1.39 once. Played with shocks, ladder adjustment, launch rpm...just never found a happy spot. That combo was running 135-137mph. I'll make Tucson sometime this year.... if my stuff stays together. I'm not really "into" running points, kind of prefer running different events at different tracks.

After a seemingly eternity the Duster finally hit the track with the new mill. Got five test hits in all with interesting problems. From blowing the tires off, and finding my T/A shifter suddenly became a true "automatic" by shifting itself into 2nd at the hit... I guess out of the five passes, two 1/8th mile hits, three 1/4 if I were to piece together one good time slip it would be: 1.28 60ft... was nice, non wheelstand.... car just "went". 6.100 to the 1/8 on that hit... new best. 113.45 @ the 1/8.... another new best. 9.644 1/4 @ 141.12. Guess that will be my baseline for things to come.... I just hope I maximise this one faster than I did with my 498 in my Mirada. That started out low 11's and was finally running 9.9's when I sold it over the course of many years.

On the passes.... I admit it.. I go full retard when it comes to driving with a new combo. I obviously don't like change and there was enough garbage going through my mind on a few of these hits to make about anyone laugh. Would it wheelstand? dart to the side? trans up to the task? wonder how this old converter is going to react? driving with full face and gloves sucks!!! (first time for that too). We left the launch at 3500 and just made a "point a-b" 1/8 mile hit. Nothing spectacular... 1.46 60 6.49/110. Next pass we figured another 1/8th. Noted it cutting out at higher rpm so we threw some jet at it. Moved the launch up to 4200, car stuck and gave us the 1.28, shift lite hit, 6.10/112.7. Great 60, not to much wheels up.... that would be cool! First 1/4 pass 9.98 @ 140.....but the shift light didn't come on trans sounded funny.... was pretty sure I hit second out of the gate. next pass was similar, and I just couldn't believe i fubbed up the shift again!!! Poor thing sounded like a tractor trying to pull down the quarter. 9.86/140. OK... this is getting old, like WTF!! Looked at the linkage, all appeared tight. Adjustment seemed to be ok, starts in P and N.... This pass I also had my wits about me enough to watch the oil psi. All good, but toward the end of the shutdown when I really had to get on the brakes oil psi dropped. Went up for one last pass. We added 1.5qt of oil to monitor the psi situation, that and JOB ONE was to see what the hell was going on with the shifter. I had the shift light at 6800 so I had room to let it go more, and was making damn sure my hand was off the shifter until that light hit. Launched and actually saw the shifter make the 1-2 shift....... damn.

So..... to do list: Figure out what to do with the oiling situation. Pan is equipped with trap doors baffles etc, but not that deep. If we have to remove it and maybe add more sump... so be it.

Shifter.... I'll look it over, but have always liked that PPP shifter. Maybe it's time. Kind of funny. I ran a Hurst Promatic 2 in my Mirada forever. Never missed a beat, worked like a champ. We bought the same shifter for the Duster and had nothing but problems with it. My dad threw it out and put the Turbo Action shifter in it. It's "ok" but required but it's had it's issues too. Yesterday was a new one, but we'll try and see whats wrong first.

Dream list..... new slicks and more gear. 4.30 just too low with the 29.5 tire.

It's going to be a fun ride though!

another thought..... My 598 intake is still 4150 size. We dynoed the engine with a Wilson spacer and a Quick Fuel 1050..... unfortunately when I got close to getting this combo "alive" in the car I found with the intake, spacer, carb I was no where near to having the hood fit..... so I pulled the carb off the 360 and ran it with that. It's an ancient BG carb a friend had bought at a swap meet and was supposedly a "930" cfm. Guess we didn't care or ever bother to research it. We just knew that we bolted it on and it worked like a champ. It's never dawned on me to "prove it" otherwise, but last night I pulled it off the car and started checking it out. Found a number scribed in the side "BG4779-3 #2711". There was a small 6501 stamped on the metering plate, and the throttle bores are 1.68 in size......... there aint no way in hell this is anything close to a 930. Looks to be more like a well put together 750! Guess I better see about getting my intake modded sooner than later.

Well we're going to try a new Pro Trans valve body..... Swapped out the Griner LBA and sold it, installed the new one over the weekend along with the accompanying l/r spring. Swapped gates in the shifter for the new pattern.

using a bottle jack and spacer to compress the piston and remove the snap ring....

two weeks from now we should be in Bakersfield with the car teched and awaiting first call Thursday am.... bought another carb to try..... figure anything has to be better than the 750 we did test hits with. Hopefully it will be here to give a good once over and give it a whirl. 1050cfm 4150......

hate running without an air filter..... although I never ran one on the Mirada, we might just pack the spacer and the 1050/4500 and see what happens.

hate running without an air filter..... although I never ran one on the Mirada, we might just pack the spacer and the 1050/4500 and see what happens.

Air filters are for vacuum cleaners, let it breathe!

I hope to see you at Bakersfield. We are in row 16. I have a 66 blue dart.

<--------------------------See

Row 26.... I'll be sure to find you. I'm soooo ready to get out of town for a few days!

Jay

Don't think I have the MPH to achieve that.... maybe someday.

More carb, more power, more mph. A lot of engines will pick up from a 4500 carb over a 4150 even at the same cfm. Have seen a few cars cut up to .3 just by going to a dominator (obviously tuning it to their combos) one thing we know about small block mopars is that they love to have a lot of carburetor. Add in more cubic inch and big heads and I am sure it would see a significant improvement. Good luck, send me $10 when you get in the .40's LOL

eventually...... this will have a dominator on it. Still have a good HP 4500 from the W5 days. We'll just need to come up with an intake, so in the mean time, this is what we're going to play with:

Braswell 4825 1050cfm 4150. 1.48 venture, 1.79 throttle bores. should make a lil difference over the ole BG.

Got the new carb on and was checking WOT.... and of course, it would open about 75%. Got to looking and found the pedal was dead against the floor, and the whole assembly was quite loose. Further inspection found only one nut was holding the pedals to the firewall. Pulled the pedal assy out of the car and cut the rod, stacked it and rewelded. I also ground on the underside to increase the pedal throw some more. Got the travel I need and will also trim some of the brake pedal to give more room for my big feet to get in there. Pretty tight especially with the trans tunnel being moved over even though by not much. Still contemplating as to welding a "pad" on the rod or not. Probably can't hurt.

obviously another point on this car that needs a little tlc.... but I have the pedals hacked to my liking. Car loaded and ready to head west.

carb adapter made for the 4500 air filter.... got it tuned well enough to idle. Might have to play with the shooters some, but we'll find out when we're on the brake. Jetting "should" be close.

new combo... rusty driver... ran 9.51, 9.49, and a 9.46. One wheels up launch, one spin, and a launch where the car seemingly didn't even move up, just out, but the 60 was only .001 slower than the hard wheels up launch. We threw 9.48 on the window this morning. I cut a bad light, right along with my opponents bad light, took stripe, but broke out. Ran a 9.473....at 131. Scrubbed a bunch of mph and still got whooped! It's going to be fun to get this car working.... Thanks Brett Miller for the great top end and Brian at IMM for screwing this thing together. Lash has stayed rock steady, engine runs smooth and sounds like a.....well, nice lil small block!

blew the tires off it.... but got a new best!

...and this morning on the breakout pass we now run IN THE 5's in the 1/8th mile! :)

the 1.28 launch....

19110547-7F3B-400E-9F2F-7BBCD1E219EA.png_zpssmil1ntv.jpeg

-
Back