Should I buy this 440?

-
Yea but they didn’t. That’s the point of the question. The “high horsepower” 440 was still an 8:1 comp engine (likely closer to 7-1/2:1 with pistons .150 down) with all of the same hard parts as the “low horsepower” model. They definitely didn’t “tune” 65 horsepower in to it. From the article posted above;

“With the exception of a full-size Chrysler, the 440 was unavailable for public use, and even then, the civilian version was rated for 195 hp. Those destined for police cars were instead rated for 255 hp and 355-lb.ft. of torque. The extra power was enhanced by dual catalytic converters fitted to a true dual exhaust system and electronic spark advance (except in California) and supported by heavy-duty parts like a shot-peened nodular cast-iron crankshaft, double-roller timing chain drive, moly-filled top compression piston rings, high-load valve springs with dampers, a windage tray, chromed and hardened exhaust valves. “

So dual exhaust with dual cats and “electronic spark advance” was worth 65hp? Not a chance.

According to "Chrysler Engines: 1922-1998" by Willem Weertman, the E85-code police HP engines went through 1975 and had true duals, low-restriction air cleaner, and the Magnum/Super Commando camshaft. If the HP 440 was continued through 1978 like the Hemmings article says (seen it referenced as code E86) I'd bet it also came with the bigger cam which would make up for at least half of that 65hp difference. The 1972 440 HP in the "civilian" cars was rated at 280hp net without catalytic converters which isn't that far off from 255.

Regardless $400 is a good deal for a 440 of any kind in running shape, I'd take it. @AndyF says in his BBM book that cast cranks are good to around 500 HP, forged to about 600.

Also from personal experience, my cousin had a 1972 Polara with a non-HP 440. It originally had single exhaust at most 2-1/4" diameter and when we put 2.5" duals on it it picked up a TON of power, at least 30 HP based on my early-20s butt dyno lol.

Mopar engineers thought dual exhaust was good for 20 HP on a '73 2 barrel 318.
How much on a 440 that also had a hotter cam, 4 barrel, and slightly less restrictive manifolds?

I was gonna say, there's at least $200 in heads, and another at least $50 in oil pan, and fasteners.

Mopar engineers thought dual exhaust was good for 20 HP on a '73 2 barrel 318.
How much on a 440 that also had a hotter cam, 4 barrel, and slightly less restrictive manifolds?
At first I was skeptical about gaining 20hp on a ‘73 2-barrel 318 until I remembered that back in 1973 a friend of mine had a ‘73 340 Duster automatic and I had a ‘73 Dodge Sport 318 2-barrel 4 speed. I added dual exhaust to my car and put lighter advance springs in the distributor and it seemed to run pretty good so good in fact that I never lost a race against my buddy’s 340 Duster.

That’s a Carter Thermoquad on that engine not a Holley. The ear Thermoquads were the carbs to have in the early ‘70’s.

yes. thermoquad for sure.

Screenshot_2024-03-22-09-19-42-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Just keep in mind that it might be a police car engine. To me, that means a ton of abuse and possibly poor maintenance but it's probably worth the chance.
Mabe so, but thoroughly stress-relieved & seasoned, if it ain't broke, it's a great build-it base.

That’s a Carter Thermoquad on that engine not a Holley. The ear Thermoquads were the carbs to have in the early ‘70’s.
The engine I'm talking about is in the Nick Garage video. It's a Holley.

Could be a police pursuit 440. Could know more if you can get the info off the top pad in front of the intake manifold.
I picked it up today. Here is a pic of the top pad and the 440 with a pile of parts. It has the 452 heads and is not locked up.

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

Interesting. The two police versions i have are stamped 7T E440HP and 8T E440HP (1977 & 78). Or something like that. Good score anyways whatever it is.

[/URL]
Let's not forget, not every sedan used by the Popo were highway/pursuit vehicles, many municiple cars were basically stock with lights & cages. In the late '70's, the PA State Police had some Z28 4spd cars, they were not the same wheezy POS's in showrooms...You could hear the cam in 'em.

Grab it before its gone its complete engine you can see it was saved even the fuel line is cut when yanking it out of the police car

If this was my post it would read "look what I just bought".
I would want to look inside the cylinders before buying. Seems to be a lot of engines around now that have water damaged cylinders and that can be costly if a couple sleeves are required.

Yea but they didn’t. That’s the point of the question. The “high horsepower” 440 was still an 8:1 comp engine (likely closer to 7-1/2:1 with pistons .150 down) with all of the same hard parts as the “low horsepower” model. They definitely didn’t “tune” 65 horsepower in to it. From the article posted above;

“With the exception of a full-size Chrysler, the 440 was unavailable for public use, and even then, the civilian version was rated for 195 hp. Those destined for police cars were instead rated for 255 hp and 355-lb.ft. of torque. The extra power was enhanced by dual catalytic converters fitted to a true dual exhaust system and electronic spark advance (except in California) and supported by heavy-duty parts like a shot-peened nodular cast-iron crankshaft, double-roller timing chain drive, moly-filled top compression piston rings, high-load valve springs with dampers, a windage tray, chromed and hardened exhaust valves. “

So dual exhaust with dual cats and “electronic spark advance” was worth 65hp? Not a chance.
Vans and trucks came with the 440's in the late 70's. The "Worlock" was one for the truck. The big "B" vans and EMS also had them.

Bout dang time. lol Congrats! You got a good deal. Can you tell what year it is?
It is 77 440. I took off one of the heads today and the cylinders look okay. I don't really know what I'm looking at though. It had the original metal head gasket. I measured the deck to piston at top dead center and got .156". (I watch Nick's Garage)

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

-
Back