SI joint fusion

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Seen the pain doc yesterday. Seem to be chasing my back pain now. My symptoms point to an SI joint problem. However when he did an actual exam, pushing and twisting the SI joint I did not experience any increase in pain. When he was done he told me that if my SI joint was the problem I would have been jumping off the table. He did schedule me for a bilateral SI joint injection, he said if it brings me noticeable relief then the SI joint is the problem. I mentioned that I have very little external hip rotation and extremely tight hip flexors. Doc wants me to talk with my PT people about some more stretches.
He did mention that before we talk about anything beyond the injection he wants me to put some serious time into stretching, if after several months he will probably do another set of injections, if the second set helps he mentioned SI fusion. Said it is no where near as invasive as a lumbar infusion.
SO...fine folks of FABO, who here has had/knows someone who had the SI joint fused? What was the outcome?

I have had SI joint issues for years. I have only needed 1 visit for injections (2). I have never needed to go back, 4 years now. Stretching is the key, I found deep tissue message helped me more than anything. Painful and bruising, but it what worked for me. I was told by neurospine doc, that infusion of SI joints would have meant never tying my shoes again. That was a deal breaker for me. 16 weeks of chiropractor and PT alternating, then the injection. Best of luck. Being active (changed away from desk job) and stretching helped keep it at bay. Acts up time to time, but not chronic like before.

I have had SI joint issues for years. I have only needed 1 visit for injections (2). I have never needed to go back, 4 years now. Stretching is the key, I found deep tissue message helped me more than anything. Painful and bruising, but it what worked for me. I was told by neurospine doc, that infusion of SI joints would have meant never tying my shoes again. That was a deal breaker for me. 16 weeks of chiropractor and PT alternating, then the injection. Best of luck. Being active (changed away from desk job) and stretching helped keep it at bay. Acts up time to time, but not chronic like before.
Thanks for the input. I have never been flexible, which no doubt has caused me a lot of issues over the years. I seen a chiropractor in AZ that treated a lot of power lifters. He gave me this stretching regimen. Took close to an hour. Did it religiously every day for 6 months. Some days I would stretch 3 times. After the 6 months was up he remeasured me...gained very little range of motion. Thing that makes me laugh is my dad never stretched yet he could stand on a 4x4 and touch his palms to the ground.
Thing that has me more then a bit concerned is a loss of range of motion with a fusion. That and L5 is herniated, into my spinal cord causing a lot of sciatic pain. The simulator masks all of it though. I am heading to PT here shortly, will talk with them about stretches. I have not seen my Massage Therapist in a couple of weeks, there was a water main break in the area....but next time I see her I am going to talk with her about this.

Not sure if it will help with what you have going on, but 2 people I know have had an Boston electric pain blocker implanted and had great results, could not hurt to ask…

Thanks for the input. I have never been flexible, which no doubt has caused me a lot of issues over the years. I seen a chiropractor in AZ that treated a lot of power lifters. He gave me this stretching regimen. Took close to an hour. Did it religiously every day for 6 months. Some days I would stretch 3 times. After the 6 months was up he remeasured me...gained very little range of motion. Thing that makes me laugh is my dad never stretched yet he could stand on a 4x4 and touch his palms to the ground.
Thing that has me more then a bit concerned is a loss of range of motion with a fusion. That and L5 is herniated, into my spinal cord causing a lot of sciatic pain. The simulator masks all of it though. I am heading to PT here shortly, will talk with them about stretches. I have not seen my Massage Therapist in a couple of weeks, there was a water main break in the area....but next time I see her I am going to talk with her about this.

Good luck and best wishes to pain free days

-
Back