Side Exhaust

-

sempmanme

Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda that I'd like to change to dual exhaust. The car has a stock 273 2bbl. What are your thoughts on the exhaust exiting on each side right in front of the rear wheel?

IMG_0245.jpg

done with the t/a style mufflers it can look ok. with standard mufflers moved forward it will look like crap..

I personally hate it along with axle dumps it just seems half assed,i have a 66 cuda and ran my exhaust 2 1/4 full length to the bumper. If i owned an AAR OR T/A car the factory exhaust would be hanging on the wall and it would have full length exhaust. But it is your car and you can do what ever you like with it [sharp car by the way].

personally, when it is done "right" , which in my opinion means with TA/AAR chrome exhaust tips, it can look decent. to me , any other way looks like crap with just raw pipe cut off exiting in front of the rear tire. i once had a coronet with pipes coming out on each side under the rockers, and all i could hear was the sound of 4 cylinders on one side and it drove me crazy, sort of sounded like side pipes and i couldnt stand it.

I have it on my duster, aar style. I love the look but it's way too loud.

It looks cool, but will not sound good. basically it will be like a 4 cyl on each side

I like it if it's done right. I'm going to do it on my 68 cuda/318. These are the mufflers I am going to use; pypes violator mufflers:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-MVV50S/

I wouldn't think it would sound like a 4 cylinder car, LOL. little extreme if ya ask me. here's a 4 cylinder car. LOL LOL:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS2hnu8Sg2U"]How a 4 cylinder should sound! - YouTube[/ame]

Very interesting thread - I've just been making inquiry on the same idea - for my Aussie Charger A body.

sidepipes_25691666.jpg

1st - the original AAR mufflers flow like crap...but there is a good, great sounding alternative, made by Dynomax (forget the Flowmaster - too expensive and sounds like a Chev)

2nd - you need to decide if you want the original AAR tips with the diffuser (which restricts flow) or the 2.25" offering also from Accurate that has no diffuser.

Here's what I found out from a guy who makes mufflers -

The systems on the AAR's & T/A's were dual 2.25" - I own an AAR, though it is not ready for the road yet - still under a tedious restoration.

The OE mufflers (reverse flows) are just a poor internal design so they flow like crap - 175 CFM per muffler.

We flow tested one of them when I worked for Dynomax, that's where I got the CFM flow #'s from.

Compared to a Dynomax # 17675, which has a flow rate of 517 CFM.

I would not hesitate to run this Super Turbo on your car, as it has a VERY good flow rate. The 2.5" version of this same reverse-flow muffler is part # 17676 (the 17675 is a 2.25" in/out) & the 2.5" version has a flow rate of 539 CFM.

These are a standard oval size (4.25" thick x 9.75" wide), x 14" long bodies, so they are shorter than the OE AAR/T/A mufflers by 6".

Eric Sauls
President – CCEI
Classic Chambered Exhaust, Inc.
P.O. Box 424
Milford, MI. 48381
Phone: (248) 889-4364

I think keep it factory looking and go out the back, Just my opinion.

Very interesting thread - I've just been making inquiry on the same idea - for my Aussie Charger A body.

sidepipes_25691666.jpg

1st - the original AAR mufflers flow like crap...but there is a good, great sounding alternative, made by Dynomax (forget the Flowmaster - too expensive and sounds like a Chev)

2nd - you need to decide if you want the original AAR tips with the diffuser (which restricts flow) or the 2.25" offering also from Accurate that has no diffuser.

Here's what I found out from a guy who makes mufflers -

Mal,

Those side pipes are letting too many fumes in the car with you and you have become delusional and have started to compare your junker with a real Mopar :violent1:

go take some deap breaths out in the victorian fresh air-you'll get your senses back before you know it.:yawinkle:

Get off the bottle Darren...its you thats delusional.

Unlike you - I've taken the time to get to know people on this forum, and know for a fact they respect Aussie Mopars as much as we enjoy theirs.

Its only people like you who think we should be ashamed.......you have some sort of inferiority complex outside of your own tin shed.

Grow up.

BTT

I have seen the AAR style tips on a 66 and I thought it was a really good look. Makes an otherwise pedestrian car look and sound quite a bit more aggressive, IMHO.

...though I am sure there are people whose opinion is that if you want AAR tips you should buy an AAR...:D

My duster came like that from florida, i'm in Vermont with it now. I changed it before I drove it up to dump out the back, it was to loud.
I was also told that to pass a VT state inspection the exhaust has to dump behind the last functional opening in the car, FWIW.

I like the side exit but it's very loud. At least mine is. Definitely nothing like a 4 cyl per side sound. More like a Harley per side. My setup is Hooker Headers(Aluminum coated), Glass Pac Mufflers,

IMO, Daily driver out the back. Weekend cruiser your choice.

rat patrol, your car is awesome! has a very unique look to it! definitely not junk. :) thanks for the info on the muffs.

for those who are 'for' side exit exhaust, what do ya think of those pypes violator mufflers i posted in the summit link? i think ima just try em out.

rat patrol, your car is awesome! has a very unique look to it! definitely not junk. :) thanks for the info on the muffs.

for those who are 'for' side exit exhaust, what do ya think of those pypes violator mufflers i posted in the summit link? i think ima just try em out.
I like the looks of those. One point to make, the Hot exhaust dumps right onto the rear tires(The way mine is done at least). I am going to try to move my exit point Up and out just a little bit. I would really like to quiet it down also but not sacrifice power.
Please let us know how you like the Violators if you try them.

Oh and +1 on Rat Patrols Ride. I Really like the contrast of the Black wheels.

i was thinking of not using the AAR tips, but just use the bologna [buh-loh-nee] sliced side exit, oval pipes...hmm, ill have to get a picture or 2, hard to explain.

It looks cool, but will not sound good. basically it will be like a 4 cyl on each side

X2. I always thought the early Corvettes with side pipes were cool as hell lookin but they sound like crap cause you can only hear one side at the time.

X2. I always thought the early Corvettes with side pipes were cool as hell lookin but they sound like crap cause you can only hear one side at the time.

And I disagree. These are like speakers -- you just have to have "enough engine" to drive them. When they are set up right, they have a low pitched bark that I really like.

With a bone stock 273, 318, not so much

i did it on my scamp and it looks good, the mufflers are a problem. i have been toying with the idea of using baffles inside the pipes like on a rat rod that has zoomies, it keeps the volume down, keeps the look clean and makes it so the only clearance you need to worry about is the pipes

-
Back