Sigh, some spoiled kids today. rant

-
My high school is a blend of the trashy cars from the trashy part of our county and the really nice ones from the rich part. Even have a hummer but I think its a safty advocates. Most seem to drive thier parents cars. I want a duster of my own for high school and have some money to do so. I was going to look at a 71 duster and told pops and man did he get mad. He said I couldnt get one so then I got mad and an arguement broke out so, no duster of my own for high school. But Im sure I can drive one of his :D

I bought my son a 16 year old Jeep Cherokee with 150k miles on it when he turned 16. I was a little beat up, but cleaned up well. We put a small lift on it and some Rubicon wheels. I told him his job is to get good grades and he has done it. He now works TWO jobs while maintaining his grades and seldom asks me for money, unless it's something for school.

His friend on the other hand got a new car from his grandpa when he turned sixteen and proceeded to tear the **** out of. He had no respect for the vehicle or his grandfather. He's on his second vehicle already...

My sister had to buy her first car (73 duster) and I had to buy mine (84 rampage). I really do hate the spoiled kids at school that get brand new cars but ONLY the ones that done take care of them. I know a kid who got a car for his birthday and has parents that pay for his insurance, but I admire him because he treats it the way he should and he knows he's lucky. Expect for winter, the car has been spotless every time I've seen it... takes really good care of it. My problem comes when people my age are beating the crap out of things they have gotten as gifts (not just cars) because they have the "I didn't pay for it" mentality. Me and other kid a couple weeks ago had to push one dumba** out of what might of well have been a snow bank because he couldnt drive.... in a car his parents got him.

Anyway... I bought mine and it's 26 years old. Doesnt have much... 4 wheels, power steering and brakes, and a radio comeplete with cassette (spelling?). OH, and a BRUTAL 80-90 horsepower....

I run my 2 youngest kids to school almost every morning in the duster, they always tell me stories that the other kids love the car and they are only in elementary school. I have dropped off my 6th grader off at school a couple of times, and you'd think I drive an exotic with the attention it gets. I guess maybe it IS an exotic to them :lol: My kids like to count how many times I get a thumbs up or nice car or honked at while riding with me :)

I went to a "private" high school so there were some kids that had some new cars but not over the top. Most were newer cars than older ones in the lot, but for some reason we always ended up taking my 75 duster out on the town because it was "cooler" than most. Paid for out of my own pocket and when I tore it up, I paid to fix it. Made me quit tearing it up real quick after a couple of sets of tires and a blown rear end. I even walked home after it stranded me one time, never really even thought about calling my parents, my car, my problem.
I suppose it's relative, if you make a lot of money, spending 15k on a car isn't really spoiling them, but in MY house that aint the way it is. Regardless of how expensive it is, there definitely has to be some sort of work involved for them to earn it ( to understand the value of the thing ).

Back in the late late 70s during highschool, we had lots of nice cars in the lot. Our HS had an auto shop class in it that used to compete yearly (and often win) national Chrysler troubleshooting contests. There were a lot of Mopars as well as the others.

Me, I drove a clapped out Vega.

Grant

It is sad to see that this is so rampant. Some of the kids at school are the following: loaded new Lexus IS250, new Charger RT, lifted Hemi Rams abound, a 2010 Camaro SS, H3, and a 69 Camaro (nice SS clone). Lots of imports.

Before mine were of age, i discussed w/ several of the parents around work how they handled cars and the expenses around them. I took what I thought was the best of their approaches and came up with the following:

1st) Mom had a few equipment requirements beyond what I was going to require so we settled on this. They had to have a 4 star crash rating, dual airbags and anti lock brakes. Unfortunately, that ruled out the classics that one of the twins wanted.

2) We matched the money they saved for a vehicle. If they only had $1000 saved, we added $1000. This way we were only as committed as they were to saving. I have also noticed that they take very good care of their cars where as some of the other kids around were given the cars and don't seem to really value what they have. Seems to have worked out pretty well for us. The oldest excelled and got a Jeep Wrangler (Her dream car for her 1st car. Definitely a Chick Jeep w/ 31" tires & stereo) The twin girls figured out that they go around together 95% of the time so why have two cars? They didn't save as much $ and compromised with each other enough to meet in the middle and get an extended cab Ranger in bright yellow, affectionately known as Tweety.

3) Because all 3 are really busy w/ after school sports and studying, we agreed to pay for some gas, since they really can't get a job that accommodates those schedules. How we determined how much gas was that I drove each of the vehicles to determine what kind of MPG they each got when driven correctly. Using that we mapped out where they had to be and the mileage incurred. With that, we issue allowance based on gallons of gas and deposit it into their acct each Sunday night. If the gas lasts more than the school week they have some gas to go out on the weekend. If not, there are more baby/pet/house sitting jobs in the neighborhood to earn money or car-less friends who can chip in on the gas.

4) Insurance--- as long as they maintain GPA's to get the academic discounts and don't get any tickets or in wrecks, we pay the insurance. They also had to each save up the deductible and have it in their savings accounts before they get turned loose in the car w/o Mom or Dad sitting in the seat next to them. If they don't maintain all of that, they pay the difference. They know how much we pay for their insurance. We made sure of that.

I feel like these kind of measures keep them in check and set them up for success in the real world vs. learning at such a young age what a bail-out is!

There are more spoiled kids because people have more money. I do have a slight disagreement with the statement that used Mercedes are all pieces of crap. My wife and kids drive them and love them. The kids paid me for theirs. It was my wifes old car. Not all are good. From what I have researched most built in the last 10 years are crap. The sweet spot is 95-99 those are well designed and well built vehicles. There are some issues with these cars but nothing major.

Which models/ year do you have?

It is sad to see that this is so rampant. Some of the kids at school are the following: loaded new Lexus IS250, new Charger RT, lifted Hemi Rams abound, a 2010 Camaro SS, H3, and a 69 Camaro (nice SS clone). Lots of imports.

Before mine were of age, i discussed w/ several of the parents around work how they handled cars and the expenses around them. I took what I thought was the best of their approaches and came up with the following:

1st) Mom had a few equipment requirements beyond what I was going to require so we settled on this. They had to have a 4 star crash rating, dual airbags and anti lock brakes. Unfortunately, that ruled out the classics that one of the twins wanted.

2) We matched the money they saved for a vehicle. If they only had $1000 saved, we added $1000. This way we were only as committed as they were to saving. I have also noticed that they take very good care of their cars where as some of the other kids around were given the cars and don't seem to really value what they have. Seems to have worked out pretty well for us. The oldest excelled and got a Jeep Wrangler (Her dream car for her 1st car. Definitely a Chick Jeep w/ 31" tires & stereo) The twin girls figured out that they go around together 95% of the time so why have two cars? They didn't save as much $ and compromised with each other enough to meet in the middle and get an extended cab Ranger in bright yellow, affectionately known as Tweety.

3) Because all 3 are really busy w/ after school sports and studying, we agreed to pay for some gas, since they really can't get a job that accommodates those schedules. How we determined how much gas was that I drove each of the vehicles to determine what kind of MPG they each got when driven correctly. Using that we mapped out where they had to be and the mileage incurred. With that, we issue allowance based on gallons of gas and deposit it into their acct each Sunday night. If the gas lasts more than the school week they have some gas to go out on the weekend. If not, there are more baby/pet/house sitting jobs in the neighborhood to earn money or car-less friends who can chip in on the gas.

4) Insurance--- as long as they maintain GPA's to get the academic discounts and don't get any tickets or in wrecks, we pay the insurance. They also had to each save up the deductible and have it in their savings accounts before they get turned loose in the car w/o Mom or Dad sitting in the seat next to them. If they don't maintain all of that, they pay the difference. They know how much we pay for their insurance. We made sure of that.

I feel like these kind of measures keep them in check and set them up for success in the real world vs. learning at such a young age what a bail-out is!

Please don't take offense to this because I am not trying to start anything, but... how does paying for their gas and insurance set them up for the real world? I mean, they aren't always going to have that so it's not all that realistic?

I am going to try to buy my daughter a new car or at least the nicest thing i can afford. She,s a junior and has a 4.0 grade average and is in advanced classes. Poor kid has at least 2 hours homework every night.That kind of dedication warrants as much as I can afford. She really wants me to get to work on moms 69 cuda. I,m thinking more like a new or almost new avenger r/t

I am going to try to buy my daughter a new car or at least the nicest thing i can afford. She,s a junior and has a 4.0 grade average and is in advanced classes. Poor kid has at least 2 hours homework every night.That kind of dedication warrants as much as I can afford. She really wants me to get to work on moms 69 cuda. I,m thinking more like a new or almost new avenger r/t

Is a Bugatti too much to ask for?

Please don't take offense to this because I am not trying to start anything, but... how does paying for their gas and insurance set them up for the real world? I mean, they aren't always going to have that so it's not all that realistic?

No problem, I understand your opinion.

I look at it this way. Their job right now is to get the best grades they can, stay out of trouble and to do their best in whatever sport or other school supported activity they choose.

If they were not each on 2 teams & getting good grades (easily a couple hours of homework each day & earning college credits in HS), believe me they would be working and paying more of thier bills or doing without a car all together. They spend anywhere from 2-5 hrs in the water depending on what part of the season it is. It is their choise to participate in sports. During the summers, they have jobs or lots of sitting lined up. I see this approach as helping them develop thier own strong work ethics to be successful in life.

TxSwimDad,
I bet you are proud of your kids, aren't ya ??

I would be too. A good education is the best thing they have going for them.

And I bet all the money you have laid out for them will come back to you when you get old and decrepid like me!

Avenge yourself...live long enough to be a burden to you children.

I've been trying to get my 18 y/o daughter to drive but she's not ready and seems scared shizzleless but I'm really tired of playing taxi driver back and forth.
She's going into the Army so she really does not feel the need to learn.

Yep *sigh* that's how it goes these days. It's a bad sign when the students are driving more expensive cars than the teachers. I would say it's 50/50 nowadays with students paying for the car (usually the parents helping out with insurance which makes sense), and the other half getting a new Beemer for High School. My '70 Dart was the oldest car out of the graduating class of 450 or so. My claim to fame, My Dart won coolest car in the 2007 Tahoma Senior High School graduating class ;)

I've got a friend who says hes always hoping to be able to afford to upgrade by getting a newer, nicer car. He'd like to get one of the used ones from the studnets at his school. He's the principal.

TxSwimDad,
I bet you are proud of your kids, aren't ya ??

I would be too. A good education is the best thing they have going for them.

And I bet all the money you have laid out for them will come back to you when you get old and decrepid like me!

Avenge yourself...live long enough to be a burden to you children.

haha, thanks. Yes, I'm kind of shy about expressing that, thus my nickname in many of the circles is the same as it is here. :)

my high school near me they all just about drive brand new cars better then the teachers drive how sad is that they are really spoiled rotten

No problem, I understand your opinion.

I look at it this way. Their job right now is to get the best grades they can, stay out of trouble and to do their best in whatever sport or other school supported activity they choose.

If they were not each on 2 teams & getting good grades (easily a couple hours of homework each day & earning college credits in HS), believe me they would be working and paying more of thier bills or doing without a car all together. They spend anywhere from 2-5 hrs in the water depending on what part of the season it is. It is their choise to participate in sports. During the summers, they have jobs or lots of sitting lined up. I see this approach as helping them develop thier own strong work ethics to be successful in life.

Thanks for being cool with your reply. I hear what you're sayin now 8)

when I went to HS most of the cars were beaters mainly because I went to an "inner city" school. only classic cars was my '72 dart with the 225 /6, a 66 mustang fastback, and a 72 roadrunner. there were a few honda's, and BMW's. I used to work at a grocery store and this one kid had a fully restored '65 mustang his dad did, he would complain how he didn't like it and one day sold it for an audi. so sad...

I live next to a high school and it seems kids are not that different from past generations when it comes to cars-even when they drive the new ones.Whenever my wifes or my car is out they get all the attention.I cant count how many times Ive heard kids passing by telling ther buddies "that car is f**kin sic!","man nice car!",or "dude check that out!",I think they would all trade their new generimobiles to own muscle cars if it was possible.This is my oldest sons first ride,it was his dream car and he got it for $300 that he saved himself (it was buddy buddy deal form my friend).He already cherishes it so I cant imagine how serious he will be when we get finished with it.

fabo2.jpg

I live next to a high school and it seems kids are not that different from past generations when it comes to cars-even when they drive the new ones.Whenever my wifes or my car is out they get all the attention.I cant count how many times Ive heard kids passing by telling ther buddies "that car is f**kin sic!","man nice car!",or "dude check that out!",I think they would all trade their new generimobiles to own muscle cars if it was possible.This is my oldest sons first ride,it was his dream car and he got it for $300 that he saved himself (it was buddy buddy deal form my friend).He already cherishes it so I cant imagine how serious he will be when we get finished with it.

looks like a great starter car for him

I just got out of high school last year. Our lot had some new cars in it like new mustangs and such. Those did piss me off a little, one kid had a brand new v-6 mustang and his buddies made fun of him for not having a v-8 (they didnt either), so he went crying to his daddy and he got a brand new v-8. Another kid with a newer mustang wadded his up in a ditch. Most of the kids today don't appreciate having a vehicle because if they wreck it their mommies and daddies would bail them out.

Thats the truth, they dont care cause it didnt cost them anything, daddy will get them a new one.

I drove a 69 Charger in high school. But this was in the mid 70s and by that time, used muscle cars were a dime a dozen. Now those WERE.....the good old days!!

-
Back