Silicone Removal Suggestions?

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
The guy who owned my '71 Scamp before me must have had stock in 3M...all my window trim is caked in silicone. I'm hoping to pick up some suggestions on removing the silicone without damaging the trim.

On a secondary note, I'm not sure if the window trim is stainless or chrome. Is there an easy way to tell? I don't want to put buffing compound on this stuff and rip through chrome.

Any suggestions (except from Scamp360) are welcome. (He'll just tell me to use bacon grease. :bootysha:)

I have`nt found anything that will cut cured silicone. A oxyace. torch works good for heavy steel. but trim I think you`ll need to just rub with cloth or fingers, or softwood in tight areas. I have some trim with urathane on it , that will be just as fun. maybe a heatgun will assist softning it up. seems all old mopar trim is stainless, just a cheaper grade, magnet sticks good to it. never seen any rusty trim. chrome always seems to rust eventually. plenty elbo grease required. unless somebody else found a magical process, were all ears8)

I usally use Carb Cleaner.Spay it a few times let it sit then it usally comes off pretty easy.Always works for me.If you don't already have the trim off ,well all I can say is good luck.
Jim

Thanks for the tips. :cheers:

Yes, trim is off (whew!). I'm just trying to see what I've got underneath all that goop. Hopefully, once the trim is clean, I'll be able to just polish it up and reinstall.

The guy who owned my '71 Scamp before me must have had stock in 3M...all my window trim is caked in silicone. I'm hoping to pick up some suggestions on removing the silicone without damaging the trim.

On a secondary note, I'm not sure if the window trim is stainless or chrome. Is there an easy way to tell? I don't want to put buffing compound on this stuff and rip through chrome.

Any suggestions (except from Scamp360) are welcome. (He'll just tell me to use bacon grease. :bootysha:)

..................... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-\"

-
Back