Single stage VS B/C

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Kind of bumbed out I just found out that the paint shop sprayed single stage paint in the trunk,and the engine bay :pale:the hole car is so posed to be all B/C THE BODY IS GOING TO BE b/c. Should it com plane and tell them to start over,or tell them to clear what they have all ready done and ask for some money off.My quot states complete color change B/C.Thoughts.

Hi,

Single stage in the trunk and engine compartment should work out just fine. They are areas that are protected from sun and weather exposure and single stage will hold up well there. If you wanted many single stage paints can be cleared over, check with paint manufacturer. That would be a very durable system if the single stage was a urethane paint.

Well to be honest it's not that huge of a deal breaker unless the colours don't match. Single stage is cheaper to spray but if they are spraying clear over it then it's just single stage with clear which is pretty much the same as B/C.

Did they explain why this happened?

Riddler

Well to be honest it's not that huge of a deal breaker unless the colours don't match. Single stage is cheaper to spray but if they are spraying clear over it then it's just single stage with clear which is pretty much the same as B/C.

Did they explain why this happened?

Riddler

Nope,funney thing the last body man did the very same thing on my Dart, Cindy says people like to step on our backs.:wack:

I consider base coat clear coat inferior to single stage anyway.

No worries at all, pretty standard. Single stage urethanes if doing a solid color is the way to go on the whole car if you ask me. And we usually mix the last coat 50/50 with clear for buffing ability, not durability. Any single stage modern urethane is going to have all of the UV protections that a BC/CC system has. I wouldn't sweat it at all.

no worries at all, pretty standard. Single stage urethanes if doing a solid color is the way to go on the whole car if you ask me. And we usually mix the last coat 50/50 with clear for buffing ability, not durability. Any single stage modern urethane is going to have all of the uv protections that a bc/cc system has. I wouldn't sweat it at all.

x2

Like others have said. This is the same I plan on doing to my car. single stage in door jambs trunk and engine compartment. I think your fine.

I think you should take your next restoration project back to the same shop and see if they make the same mistake 3 times! You talk about how the shop is such a great place yet they keep making mistakes. Something doesn't add up.

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again but think/hope the outcome/result will be different!

I think you should take your next restoration project back to the same shop and see if they make the same mistake 3 times! You talk about how the shop is such a great place yet they keep making mistakes. Something doesn't add up.

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again but think/hope the outcome/result will be different!

I'm not seeing where it was said both cars went to the same shop???

..depending on the manufacturer single stage is usually harder and more durable.
..but i would insist on a proper match Don.

Certainly. A good shop should be able to pull it off. That's their job.

I remember when bc/cc was coming into vogue in the market place. Pitchmen would go around to shops showing us "how easy" it was to correct mistakes.

I remember one shop where I worked. Me and one other guy were the sprayers. I looked at the salesmen and said "Why do we need this if we don't make mistakes when we paint?"

Dead silence.

The old guy we worked for was a perfectionist to the point that he was religious about the prep work. He never bought into it and said it was snake oil. Said that it came about to allow those "who didn't know how to paint" get into the business.

I thought he was right then and I still think he was. You could near bout train a chimp to shoot bc/cc and that's the truth. Single stages, lacquers and such actually require something that you don't see in the industry much anymore. Skill.

Certainly. A good shop should be able to pull it off. That's their job.

I remember when bc/cc was coming into vogue in the market place. Pitchmen would go around to shops showing us "how easy" it was to correct mistakes.

I remember one shop where I worked. Me and one other guy were the sprayers. I looked at the salesmen and said "Why do we need this if we don't make mistakes when we paint?"

Dead silence.

The old guy we worked for was a perfectionist to the point that he was religious about the prep work. He never bought into it and said it was snake oil. Said that it came about to allow those "who didn't know how to paint" get into the business.

I thought he was right then and I still think he was. You could near bout train a chimp to shoot bc/cc and that's the truth. Single stages, lacquers and such actually require something that you don't see in the industry much anymore. Skill.

Alot of truth in that, alot of painters get ahold of single stage metallics and it kicks their ***. Quite funny to watch when they realize they're not the painter they thought they were.

No you got it WRONG buddy this is not the same shop that did my last car .You need to learn how to read.

I'm not seeing where it was said both cars went to the same shop???

:happy1:

The only way they could have cleared over the single stage is just after they sprayed it the single stage has a window of X amount of hours that it will accept a top coat with out sanding. In most cases it is 8 hours.Most single stages now a days have a good amount of clear right in them. Oh I am a licensed auto body tec. 40 years. I hope this info is a little helpful

Well said,OSB.

Remember the days of Laquer paints. 3 coats color wetsand (solid color),3 coats clear wetsand (manually)eventually down to 1200 grit back then and buff like hell!
(No wonder why I have RA in joints of my hands)

We used to spray Laquer in jambs/firewall and clearcoat with Enamel clear for durability.

Like RRR said, a monkey blindfolded can paint bc/cc. The prepwork is where the skill must
be there.

No you got it WRONG buddy this is not the same shop that did my last car .You need to learn how to read.

Fair enough. It was a different dude/shop that painted your Dart the wrong colour blue in addition to spraying it with single stage instead of base/clear. And now another dude/shop sprayed the engine bay and trunk of your Duster using single stage instead of base/clear. There is one constant in both examples.

Keep your chin up!

I love to listen to the different thoughts. I bought single stage for my Barracuda and the guy I was going to let paint it had an absolute fit! Said he wouldn't spray the car. I just finished the interior with the paint and it looks awesome. I'll do the outside in the spring. He said single stage paint will not hold up.
My Barracuda sleeps in the garage, so I think she will be just fine.
Some of the videos I watch tell newbies that base/clear is the only way to go. I'm not a professional painter, I just know mine turned out really nice.

It is painted,dead straight,looks great. we got the B/C body,in side doors,under the hood under the trunk lid.The trunk was single stage with clear, the under carriage was single stage witch we wanted anyhow.Thanks for all your thoughts boys.:D Here are a few pics,wish my camera was better and there is a little dust on it.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 004.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 006.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 007.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 005.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 204
-