Sitting over the winter, Spring Lift?

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
I didn't want to have a to wordy tittle.
Lets take Hyd out of the equation and just focus on mechanical cam shafts here.

AT WHAT LIFT DOES IT BECOME CRITICAL TO TAKE THE LOAD OFF OF THE VALVE SPRINGS, WHEN NOT IN USE.

I always back the rocker shaft bolts off when I store my car when not racing. I'm running a solid roller cam & don't want to have to fork over the money again unless I have to. Running a high .600 lift Comp roller.

Last edited:
dunno, just pop the rocker shafts for extended storage if that makes you fell better, would also close the cylinders to moisture if that is another concern.

I always back the rocker shaft bolts off when I store my car when not racing. I'm running a solid roller cam & don't want to have to fork over the money again unless I have to.
What lift are are you running?

dunno, just pop the rocker shafts for extended storage if that makes you fell better, would also close the cylinders to moisture if that is another concern.
Thats a good point for Humid climates

My engine builder told me to crank it over a few times with no spark or fuel once a month over the winter.

I say any lift, because the lifters are not collapsing. SO you can either unload the rockers or turn the engine every now and then.

Thanks reccodart440
In my mind it's .600 lift (haven't own a cam that big yet)
The more lift you get the more spring pressure you get........is it more about spring pressure then lift or is it running 600 lift with a install height that's to close to binding and requires..... or should have used a longer valve......

I just read this on the ol internet and when HMmmmm
Most engine builders arrange the valve spring to be within 0.050in to 0.060in of coil bound, which returns the spring to a uniform, stable shape on every closing cycle.

I just read this on the ol internet and when HMmmmm
Most engine builders arrange the valve spring to be within 0.050in to 0.060in of coil bound, which returns the spring to a uniform, stable shape on every closing cycle.

I dont store mine , anymore , just roll it over or start it about every 3 weeks -----

I know I’m going against the thinking of lots of very smart guys but in 45 years of racing I’ve never backed off a spring during the winter. From .830 lift plus cams to .520 lift solid cams. My .650 lift solid cam just went five years with zero maintenance during those years. I have broken a valve spring since the 1980’s when we raced twice a week and broke a few inner springs on 991 springs with the old .750 lift roller springs. This was long before I started setting up my own springs and on 906 heads. When I shut my engine down for the winter other than possibly taking the carb apart because I run alcohol I don’t touch it.

I know I’m going against the thinking of lots of very smart guys but in 45 years of racing I’ve never backed off a spring during the winter. From .830 lift plus cams to .520 lift solid cams. My .650 lift solid cam just went five years with zero maintenance during those years. I have broken a valve spring since the 1980’s when we raced twice a week and broke a few inner springs on 991 springs with the old .750 lift roller springs. This was long before I started setting up my own springs and on 906 heads. When I shut my engine down for the winter other than possibly taking the carb apart because I run alcohol I don’t touch it.

I don't think your that far off.
I thought there would be a lot of opinion on this subject............... but springs setting under load and weak spring just don't seem to be and issue at any lift..........................

I don't think your that far off.
I thought there would be a lot of opinion on this subject............... but springs setting under load and weak spring just don't seem to be and issue at any lift..........................

For years I parked my cars in the garage under the house and Dads house and I always used the excuse that if let’s say my house was on fire I could start the car and get it out quicker. That excuse worked from the 1970’s-1991 when I built my shop. Now I can just blame it on being lazy. Lol.

If it worked for you, all these years, in you case anyways, it's not lazy.....It practical!:lol:....:popcorn:

I've never back them off. Now I only run small cams compared to most (.528-.590). I try to spin the motor over every other month or so but sometimes I forget to. I only got out to race once this year. I think I turned the engine over 2 other times.

Thanks reccodart440
In my mind it's .600 lift (haven't own a cam that big yet)
The more lift you get the more spring pressure you get........is it more about spring pressure then lift or is it running 600 lift with a install height that's to close to binding and requires..... or should have used a longer valve......

My guy claims the reall issue is the lifters, not the springs. This is why he says to crank it over periodicly

My guy claims the reall issue is the lifters, not the springs. This is why he says to crank it over periodicly
Because it replaces back, the oil wedge......??????
Did he give you more of an explanation.
Always trying to learn here.

I did the "remove rocker shafts in the winter" thing a couple times....but honestly, most years I forget...and I've never had any spring related issues.

i don't back off rockers for winter. my car is on jack stands from mid September to mid May

Sleeping for the winter

F9357DF1-CD71-408F-B94C-3EEB00FF0D56.jpeg

-
Back