Slant 6 headers & 4bl intake manifold

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Call Larry @ Clifford Performance 6=8 he is very helpful. They have long and short style coated and standard painted headers. Hope this helps8)

i didnt see a worried smiley face to insert. but as a recent clifford customer. (dealing with larry) i would not recommend ordering from them. you can do whatever you want. but here is my story: i called them and asked if they had their slant six headers in stock. (i was warned not to order them if they didnt have them, because it can take forever to get them.) so anyways, i was told they were in stock and i ordered them up. three weeks later, still no headers, so i called them up. they said they would ship them out. i have a tendency to be too nice, and didnt ask why they didnt go out three weeks ago. so i finally get my headers and they sit in the box for about a month while i assembled my engine. well once im ready to put the engine in the car, i mount up the headers and torque them spec, only to find a huge gap between the flange and gasket by the number 3 cylinder. the 1/2" flange was warped. i called clifford and larry said " i guess thats what happens when you have mexicans do your welding". that is word for word what larry said. he also said to try to tighten it down more. but you cant do that on a slant six because the header and intake are designed to float. so i took the headers to a machine shop and they machined the flanges flat for $60.00. i emailed larry about refunding me this cost and he never replied. oh and since the header flanges were machined down, i had to file the intake ears down so that the triangle hold down washers would be square with the intake/exhaust surfaces. i was told that clifford use to be a good company, but once the father died things changed. i dont know how much of this is true. all i can say is its your call on whether you want to take the chance with clifford. this is just my story. you may want to check on www.slantsix.org though, because you will find many other stories like mine. if i had to do this again i would go with dutra duals. doug dutra is a great guy that has helped me with my build a lot. he is a standup guy who makes a great product unlike cliifford performance. good luck whith your build.

I can't help with parts, but I can give this a bump and offer some advice. Hooker still makes a 6 into 2 long primary style header that is available from Summit. The drawback to the Hookers is that they have 5/16" flanges instead of the needed 1/2" flange. 3/16" spacers are included in the hardware kit to allow the exhaust and intake to mate up, but they are a royal PITA to install and properly torque. The Hookers also have provisions for exhaust heat to the intake manifold. The only other viable alternative from an availability stand point, are the Dutras. You have two options with them. You can buy front and rear manifolds, or you can send him your old exhaust manifold which he will modify for use on the rear 3 cylinders for a fee, and sell you the front manifold that he manufactures. If you buy both manifolds you will not have intake heat which may cause cold start and/or run issues depending on your climate. Buying the front manifold and having your old one modified will retain intake heat for winter use if needed. The Dutras also have the advantage of being made of cast iron so you don't need to worry about them rusting out and needing replacement. Me, I'm taking the third option and making my own. Hope this helps.

Ebay item number 220480478158 is a new Offenhauser 4 barrel intake with gaskets and a buy it now of $225. Good price.

I bought the front Dutra and modified the original exhaust manifold myself 1 weekend. Was not too difficult and Doug Dutra answered all my questions that weekend. I live in a colder climate so that's why I needed to stay with the choke. I have pictures posted in the "exhaust forum". Look for "65 valiant dual exhaust".

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back