Slant 6 power steering pump on smallblock? will it work?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if the slant six power steering pump will work with the power steering bracket on a 340...I would like to know that way if it doesnt i can order the nescessary parts to make it work

Thanks in advance!
Matthew

somebody has to be able to tell me this i would hope lol....also, will my 6 cylinder pulleys work on the 340?

somebody has to be able to tell me this i would hope lol....also, will my 6 cylinder pulleys work on the 340?
Wish I had answers for ya.I ditched the p.steering on my 66 Dart,also had 340 pullys for my 360.Personally I don,t think either will work?You,ll have to Mcgyver brackets for the p.steering,and try and line up belts with the pullys?Someone will chime in?

Bump anyways!

mshred:
If the car is the one in your avitar, the pump itself should work, but you have to get the brackets off a V8 car. I don't think any of the pulleys will work, other than the p.s. pump. The alternator is the same.
I suggest that you find a small block V8 car at the junkyard approximately your year (it doesn't have to be a a-body)and take the pullys, brackets, and anything else you can think of that you need for this swap. If the p.s. pump is there go ahead and take it too, it might save you some grief changing the mounts. You may need to change hoses at any rate.
That's what i would do.
BTW, you know that the engine wiring harness (it could be modified), k member, and the throttle cable are different on a V8 to slant six swap, right? A bigger radiator is a really good idea too, especially with a 340.
Good luck on the build, your car looks great.:cheers:
Just my 2 cents,
Tom.

mshred:
If the car is the one in your avitar, the pump itself should work, but you have to get the brackets off a V8 car. I don't think any of the pulleys will work, other than the p.s. pump. The alternator is the same.
I suggest that you find a small block V8 car at the junkyard approximately your year (it doesn't have to be a a-body)and take the pullys, brackets, and anything else you can think of that you need for this swap. If the p.s. pump is there go ahead and take it too, it might save you some grief changing the mounts. You may need to change hoses at any rate.
That's what i would do.
BTW, you know that the engine wiring harness (it could be modified), k member, and the throttle cable are different on a V8 to slant six swap, right? A bigger radiator is a really good idea too, especially with a 340.
Good luck on the build, your car looks great.:cheers:
Just my 2 cents,
Tom.

Hey Tom, thanks for the info...I do have the v8 brackets for the ps pump, so it should work then...if i understand you correctly, the alternator from my 6cyl will only work with the v8 bracket, or it will not work with the v8 bracket? (it would be a shame because the slant 6 i had came with a brand new alternator)...I already have a small block k member in with the 340 mounts, the throttle cable and a bigger rad as well...Ill have to look into the pulleys and see what i can use...also, what mods need to be done to the wiring harness (just in case im missing something here)...my biggest problem right now is my bloody oil pan which has a custom deep sump and pickup making the pan rest on my centerlink (already a dropped one)

-
Back