Slant 6 Value?

-

Varment

Reaction score
I am trying to get a rough estimate on the price of a slant six with all components still attached along with the original transmission. Both parts worked great 3 years ago before it was removed from my 1968 Valiant, I just never got around to giving it to an old friend or putting it in another vehicle. When I removed the engine the vehicle had a little over 70,000 on the odometer but I have no clue if that has rolled over or not.

I am debating on selling it but not sure how much I can even get out of it. I was hoping I could get a little information from you guys about it!

Thanks,
Varment

It kinda depends on which engine it is. If it's a 198, it can fetch a good sum because everybody wants gold for the connecting rods because people use them to build a long rod 225. But thing is, by the time you pay somebody's price for a set of USED rods, then have them rebuilt with good rod bolts and bushed for floating pins, you're almost into what the K1 rods cost. Just off the hip I'd say 150 bucks.

Didn't realize there were different types of slant six's from 68...I'll research the meanings and types and get back.

Thanks,
Varment

Didn't realize there were different types of slant six's from 68...I'll research the meanings and types and get back.

Thanks,
Varment

I don't know that myself....as I am new to slants......but 1968 is a long time to still expect to have an original engine. It's certainly possible. But enough time has passed that it could be anything by now. That's all I meant.

Just as a point of info, the two slant-6s available in '68 were the 170 and the 225. The 198 was available from '70-'74.

I sold a complete, good running slant with Super Six and 904 out of a 78 Aspen for $300 to a guy from Maine. He drove down here to VA and picked it up.

i got 380 bucks for a 28000 mile 1974 225 slant six, with the tranny still bolted up, i threw in the 7.25 rear end just to get rid of it...i considered myself pretty lucky.

Dan, can you tell me exactly how to tell a 170 from a 225 please?

Just as a point of info, the two slant-6s available in '68 were the 170 and the 225. The 198 was available from '70-'74.

Thanks Dan. I couldn't remember 198 production. I didn't wanna stick my foot in my mouth......yet again.

That's kinda like asking how much a meal is. It depends on so many variables. Year, model, mileage, size, options, guarantee, etc....... On average, a running 6 is usually in the $300-400 price range from a retail store (ie. full service auto recycler). That's usually an exchange price. Without a core, you can add $75-150. You can also get one at a garage sale for next to nothing if the owner is motivated to get rid of it. (He's selling the house or his wife is on his case to clean out the garage or someone on here has done a V8 changeover and the slant is sitting in the way!) As you can see, worth is a relative term. Just don't expect filet mignon at a soup kitchen....

I got $100 for my slant and 904 and did well. Lots of slants around cheap here i think due to bodies rotting from the winter salt. My .02

I was told my 72 was a 225, and I've always just assumed that correct. How can I tell the difference between a 198 + 225?

Not that I'm adding anything useful to the conversation, but I recently picked up a 40,000 mile 225 and 904 from a '65 Cuda for $75, with the alternator, power steering pump and gear, and AC compressor.

Dan, can you tell me exactly how to tell a 170 from a 225 please?

The hose between the water pump and the head is about 1.5 inches on a 170/198, its about 3 on a 225. I traded a great 318/904 for a running pulled 225/904 with everything still attached and the guy was stoked. They are about 100 around here and another 50 gets you a trans.

mines gotta be a 225, that's almost no hose at all on a 198

Attachments

• slant 003.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 213
No, yours could be a 198. Unless I got it wrong, the 170 is the low deck motor and the 198 and the 225 is the raised block. What year is yours? Dan said the 198 was only made from the 70 to 74 model years. Find the numbers on it and see.

1968 motor
No, yours could be a 198. Unless I got it wrong, the 170 is the low deck motor and the 198 and the 225 is the raised block. What year is yours? Dan said the 198 was only made from the 70 to 74 model years. Find the numbers on it and see.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their posts! It helps out a lot in pricing this thing and I will be sure to place an ad in the parts for sale section as well once I get this posted onto craigslist!

Thanks again,
Varment

-
Back