slant questions

-

Optik

Reaction score
so here's the scenario...i'm getting set to close a deal on a 63 dart 4-door /6-automatic that will be my wife's cruiser/driver. the car is VERY solid but the motor is removed as it was froze up due to water getting into it. I still have the slant that came out of my 64 that has only about 52k on it but hasn't ran in at least 12-15 years. plus the top end is disassembled from it. however, it has been in dry storage for quite a while.
i'm new to the slant 6 so I am looking for suggestions on where to get a good quality and relatively cheap rebuild kit for a 64 slant, and also things to watch out for when i'm rebuilding it. not really interested in hopping it up, as extreme reliability is the main concern. don't want my wife and son getting stranded, have to keep them cruising in style!
thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-Tim

if you post a "wanted" request on here you can probobly get a running 225 from a member here doing a V8 swap for free,
Just a thought

I'm not really sure what to tell you about where to get the kit. I took my son's slant from his '74 Dart Sport to a shop and had all the machine work done, then took home a HUGE box of parts and we put it back together (literally our first time to ever see the inside of an engine). We installed a little warmer RV cam, had the cylinders bored .030 over, line bored for the cam bearing, turned the forged crank .010, and had a valve job done.

One tip I would like to pass along is to make sure all the rocker arms have their tiny passages cleaned out so the oil flows freely. Also, clean out the oil passage that comes up through the rear rocker shaft pedestal - it might be clogged up with old gunk.

If you change the oil pump, check to see if it has the taller tube to prevent oil drain down. If the new one does not, swap over the old one. Also, make sure you vat out or replace the oil pickup tube and screen.

To make it easier to turn the engine over by hand for finding top dead center and other purposes, buy a large bolt for the end of the crankshaft (many don't have them).

Do a search over at www.slantsix.org and find the source for a much better intake/exhaust gasket produced in Australia. Costs a bit more, but I hear it seals very well.

Good luck with the build,
Jerry

PAW, RPM, Mad Dog Racing all have decent prices on kits. Are you doing all your own work or having a shop do it? I would disagree that hoping it up hurts relyabilaty . I would recommend a mild build up, Shave the head a little to raise compression and over sized valves. This wont cost you any extra at the machine shop (PM me for details) and you get great gains. We have a group cam buy at Erson on cams ,lifters,springs,etc. over at slantsix.org. Again im NOT trying to make a race car out of it just spruce it up a little.
My02.
Frank

well i suppose i will have to join slantsix.org. i will be doing all the assembly and tuning. i want to make this motor fresh and free of concerns so that my wife has no worries driving this car. since a very mild build probably wouldn't cost any more than a straight stocker, i don't have a problem doing that. however, this car needs to run smoothly, run cool, and stop good so those are my primary concerns. also an upgrade to A/C would probably help my wife enjoy the vehicle a bit more haha.
thanks guys for your suggestions, keep em coming!
-Tim

hello Tim,
here is the website for GPRS gaskets in Australia. (they are quite near to me).
here
and a link to one of the various threads on the "Aussie gaskets" on Slant Six.org.
click
regards,Rod:-D

Not to knock the aussies ( never tried them ) there is a us supplier with similar gaskets: Remflex. Side note: If the manifold surfaces aren't matched up, even a 1 inch gasket aint gonna help, don't ask :)

I'm no help on the engine build but for the A/C system, give Charrlie_S a PM and have a chat ( knows his stuff, super nice guy, mopar fan, nuff said )

Not to knock the aussies ( never tried them ) there is a us supplier with similar gaskets: Remflex. Side note: If the manifold surfaces aren't matched up, even a 1 inch gasket aint gonna help, don't ask :)

I'm no help on the engine build but for the A/C system, give Charrlie_S a PM and have a chat ( knows his stuff, super nice guy, mopar fan, nuff said )

http://www.remflex.com/

The best manifold/header gasket I have used...

http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/87.htm

I have found RockAuto.com to be a useful parts supplier they have a huge, simple to use data base of parts for just about every model you can think of.

pj

Ex: Starter relay for my 64 dart. Napa store retail 31.91, NAPA on line 8.50, Rock Auto 5.71 same part different box!!!

-
Back